Tesoro Cortes Question?

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Cortes, Explorer II, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, I just bought a used Cortes from Ebay ($400) and so far love it. I've only had it 3 days...lol but I have a Tejon and I'm a little familiar with the brand. The instructions say to adjust the threshold for a low growl in all metal mode. I do this but when I switch to discriminate, there is no sound (growl) All seems to work as it should but just wondering if this is right. Do you know if it is? Thanks

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, there is no threshold tone/growl in discriminate on any Tesoro that I'm aware of.
luvsdux

OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I kinda thought so it's just that the manual was so adamant to get that threshold tone. I appreciate your reply. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cortes is a nice detector. Adding some orange duct tape makes reading the ID bars on the small screen a lot easier and faster.

tabman

Cortes%20Display%20001_zpsxy9cgbz1.jpg

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason the Cortes has a bad reputation. Most reviews seem to be negative considering it is the most expensive detector Tesoro sells. I have owned one for 6 years but have never used it..Purchased it because I couldn't pass up a good deal. Works great but you have to have the eyes of a hawk to see the screen! Really should take it out sometime to see how it works..That is a good idea with using the orange ducktape as markers for the screen, Tabman......

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I'm very impressed with the info I get from all the sources available. The screen is small but not so small it's unusable. And I only use it once I hear a signal that sounds good. Even with so little experience with it, I am able to call what it most of the time. I love it so far. U should get it out and learn it it hot and fun. .

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, the screen could be larger, but I go by the audible signal first, then check the display if I want more info. I've done pretty well while using mine.
luvsdux

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the cortes is very underrated. Yes, the screen is small and the gb doesn't cross over into the disc mode. I like that the ID works in all-metal and it seems to be just as deep as the vaquero, sensitive too. So far I'm completely satisfied with the cortes.

OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried to find videos on YouTube for the Cortes and there are very few. And what's there is of poor quality so when I get some experience with it I plan on doing a good video and posting it. You are right about being under rated. It's easy and right on.

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not knocking Tesoro or the Cortes...I also have a Vaquero and have only used it only once ...The main reason is because of my CZ5....Love it...Lately it seems like it getting heavier..Must be old age lol! ...It is a shame to have practically two new detectors and not use them. They are backs ups really but perhaps I should get them out in the field...Both the Vaquero and Cortes are so light! You just don't see too many Cortes out there or hear from those using them..and like Rene G stated, there isn't much on Youtube either...Type in AT PRO and there will be pages of results...You just don't hear much about the Cortes...

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth, I picked up a used DeLeon before getting my Cortes thinking the D was a so so little brother to the C, but could better afford it at the time. Howsever, even though the D shows less info, the display is bigger and the performance is on par with the C at least in the soil I usually hunt even though the D has factory reset ground balance in both modes.luvsdux

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when i was looking at getting a Tesoro, the cortes seemed appealing. but with manual GB for all metal mode only, that turned me off. i said once before on here, thats like a nice sports car having a set of cheap low grade tires on it. i personally do not see why that was done when the deleon has pre-set on it. like other things Tesoro does, it is a strange thing to do. i like their vaquero though.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried to find videos on YouTube for the Cortes and there are very few. And what's there is of poor quality so when I get some experience with it I plan on doing a good video and posting it. You are right about being under rated. It's easy and right on.

I am glad you are getting use out of the Cortes you bought from me I do believe? The threshold answer is correct none on discriminate. I already had another one, and that one was like new so I figured someone would really like it. I'm glad it showed up here on TNET!

OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting since the seventies and most of the detectors I've used did not have ground balance. I've detected in Florida, Georgia, N and S Caralina and a few other places E of the Miss. I have not had any problem with depth or sensitivity. That being said, I know GB is worth having but I do believe it's over rated in most places. The Engineers at Tesoro clearly know what threre doing so I believe if the felt it would hurt the quality of the detector, they would have included it. I have already compared the depth with a Minelab Sovereign and the Cortes can keep up very well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OP
OP
R

Rene G

Nov 22, 2007
Waynesville NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pgfhgs! Did u sell one on eBay? If so I'm sure I have it. I love it so far. Thanks for the really fast shipping. Great day here in NC and I'm heading out in a few.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah! RTF-Rcheliplanes I used to have a small RC-store eyes got poor switched to MD's

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pgfhgs! Did u sell one on eBay? If so I'm sure I have it. I love it so far. Thanks for the really fast shipping. Great day here in NC and I'm heading out in a few.

I had my other one out last night walking the golf course paths (gravel) found 93 cents Owner of course its fine to swing at night and no digging!

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been detecting since the seventies and most of the detectors I've used did not have ground balance. I've detected in Florida, Georgia, N and S Caralina and a few other places E of the Miss. I have not had any problem with depth or sensitivity. That being said, I know GB is worth having but I do believe it's over rated in most places. The Engineers at Tesoro clearly know what threre doing so I believe if the felt it would hurt the quality of the detector, they would have included it. I have already compared the depth with a Minelab Sovereign and the Cortes can keep up very well.

sure it does not hurt the quality any. just most do hunt in disc, not all metal. if you have the adjustment for the one mode, why not the other on the same unit in the mode most hunt with? or possibly automatic GB in the other mode. just saying, it would have been better and a more appealing machine i think. know i'm not everyone. but, that was the only reason i did not buy it or the deleon.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've a fairly full stable of Tesoros including a number of preset ground balance models. In the areas I usually detect, the presets work pretty darn well. The main problem with preset ground balance in my opinion is the lack of easy adjustment when you do hit an area with enough mineralization to cause a problem. If a person is going to have just one detector, then I'd strongly suggest one with true auto ground or manual ground balance. For those with more than one it's good to have at least one detector so equipped for when/if the need arises.
My two bits.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions