erbdigger

Sep 13, 2014
Muncie IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Tesoro Cibola(current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get a new coil for my cibola, other than the stock coil, is it absolutely necessary to send it in to tesoro to get recalibrated to the new coil? What differences may I experience? Would this basically give me a while new machine as far as depth and such? And finally, are there any recommendations?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my Cibola already modded from a forum member. I've done really well with mine. There's not much difference between it and my Vaquero. There is a difference, but I can't put my finger on it. I've talked to other people who have own modded Cibola detectors and they say the same thing.

My favorite search coil is the NEL Sharpshooter, because I hunt really trashy areas. Tesoro's new 8 x 11 search coil is great for open areas.

If you don't have a ground balance you may not be getting the best performance from your detector. With a ground balance you can switch search coils without worry.

I'd suggest getting the Cibola modded or sell it and buy a Vaquero. You can't go wrong with either.

tabman

OP
OP
E

erbdigger

Sep 13, 2014
Muncie IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Tesoro Cibola(current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Cibola already modded from a forum member. I've done really well with mine. There's not much difference between it and my Vaquero. There is a difference, but I can't put my finger on it. I've talked to other people who have own modded Cibola detectors and they say the same thing.

My favorite search coil is the NEL Sharpshooter, because I hunt really trashy areas. Tesoro's new 8 x 11 search coil is great for open areas.

If you don't have a ground balance you may not be getting the best performance from your detector. With a ground balance you can switch search coils without worry.

I'd suggest getting the Cibola modded or sell it and buy a Vaquero. You can't go wrong with either.

tabman
Would you happen to know anyone that can do the mod by chance? I've always been interested in getting it done but Too afraid to do it myself for fear of messing it all up lol. If not, it is okay.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A forum member who goes by the name of Claydigger who lives near me does the Cibola mod or at least he used to. Shoot him a PM.

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why "Mod" a Cibola, when you can simply buy a Vaquero, or send the Cibola control box and new coil to Tesoro? YES, get the new coil tuned to your control box to get the best depth and sensitivity.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was planning on getting the new 8 x 11 for my Tejon. Would I need to send it to Tesoro as well for best results? Or would it be OK since it has gound balance?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was planning on getting the new 8 x 11 for my Tejon. Would I need to send it to Tesoro as well for best results? Or would it be OK since it has gound balance?

You're fine, since you have a ground balance on your Tejon. I think you'll really like the Tesoro 8 x 11 coil. I used it some today. That sucker is deep even with the sensitivity set low. I thought by setting it low, I wouldn't be hitting those deep targets in the hard clay ground that I didn't want to dig. Wrong!

tabman

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've swapped coils on all my umax, preset ground detectors without sending them in. I'd suggest you try the different coil to see how it performs before sending the detector in unless you intend to use it as your only coil. While having the different coil tuned into your detector may give the most performance possible, I haven't found any of my swaps to perform poorly in the soils I usually detect -- they might perform a little better if tuned, but I've had acceptable performance without sending them in.
luvsdux

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just purchased a used lobo,original.
Asked tesoro about using the smaller 3.5x7 shooter coil.
They said to try it first.But it might need to be sent in.But,if I use it in all metal,and proper ground balance, it will be no issue.
The only time it might matter is in discriminate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread