New Vaquero on the way

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered my new Vaquero today, I ordered it with the high tone and the RSD wide scan DD coil. I can't wait to put it to the test. The minerals are kinda high in my area so I'm banking on that new coil to handle ground. I've been in a silver slump lately, I'm sure it's due to masking and some are deep. I've heard the tesoro's are great for unmasking the goodies. I'm working areas dating back to the early 1900's, so the silver has to be lurking there I just gotta get my Vaquero over it.

randyalbin

Sep 24, 2007
Flat Rock, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 CB,XL Pro,IDX Pro,MX5,Tesoro's Bandido,INCA,OutLaw,Tiger Shark,Toltec ll,Toltec 100,Troy Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it the Black one? just curious....

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
randyalbil It's the grey one.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congrats on your new Vaquero!

tabman

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman you're the guy that made me pull the trigger, I wanted one but I was just was kicking the idea around until I saw your post, Vaquero in black. I wanted it in black but there were none left so I got the standard grey. Hey as long as it gets the job done who cares what color it is. Although the black looks really cool.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally only use just barely enough discrimination to discriminate out a common iron nail at a lot of sites that I detect. I can still hear nails clicking and popping in the audio response. That's the best setting when detecting a site for the very first time, because you'll need to find out what you're up against.

After digging a dozen or so targets change the discrimination if you feel the need to do so. Some sites you may want to dig it all and some sites you may want to use more discrimination. If I'm not feeling too sparky and the ground is hard to dig, I'll run up the discrimination. Not a good thing, but I'll do it sometimes. Only use as much discrimination as absolutely necessarily.

My favorite setting in the discrimination mode is a little negative on the ground balance, a very sight hum on the threshold before switching over to discrimination mode, discrimination set just barely high enough to discriminate out a nail and as much sensitivity as I can use without the detector becoming unstable. I want a quiet ride.

My favorite headphones: Killer B Wasp. They work great with Tesoro detectors.

I found that it's best to work small sections of a larger site and grid it off to make sure that I cover it completely coming at it at all angles. The great thing about Tesoro detectors is that you can work them super slow. The slower the better. It took me awhile to get that figured out. I thought by me covering more ground quickly, I'd find more. Nope!

I buy and tryout a lot of different detectors, because I want to see first hand how they'll do. I'm mostly a dig it all type hunter, because I'm curious to see what is making that audio beep so all those screen numbers and tones don't do a lot for me.

Once you get it figured out that a detector with a ID number screen and tone ID is not all that smart when using it at a normal site then a single tone detector will start making more sense. For an example, a so called smart detector will tell you that a Barber Half laying next to a nail is junk. The so called smart detectors only works well when air testing targets or finding a target in the field that's not laying close to anything else.

I think most people who detect are silver coin hunters, because they don't want to do a lot of digging. If that's the case, a single tone audio detector like the Vaquero is up to the task. By setting the Vaquero's discrimination up just barely high enough to discriminate out those pesky pull tabs it can out do most screen detectors. To top it off the Vaquero can do it without a bunch of noisy racket. Like I said before, I like a quiet ride.

You did great getting a Vaquero! Learn how to use it and it will become your favorite detector.

tabman

Here are a couple of examples of my testing:

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the heads up on the Vaquero Tabman, I'll play around and keep you posted on what I find and how I like it compared to the high tech metered machines. I think the Vaquero will help me pick out the masked and deeper targets. I know I'm missing old silver due to masking, the one place I hunt is full of tiny iron and aluminum slaw .( School yard ) That dates back to the mid 1930's.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you. I think you've made a good choice.
luvsdux

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your new toy! I just bought a like new one myself and completely forgot about asking if it was high tone or regular! I've owned one before but sold it.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero, imho, is the deepest, fastest best discriminator out there, and for the $$ it cannot be beat. My finds dropped substantially once i moved from the beep and dig. I rely on the screen too much, admitting to such. Just dont know what machine to get rid of to get another V, mx5 or m6, because i definately dont need 3.

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, jharhed I also have to get rid of some of my older detectors, First up is the fisher cz5 the Vaquero is replacing this oldie but goody. I feel the 8 " coil is to small for deep targets, and my soil is very mineralized. And the fisher is not the greatest in very high mineralized soil. Next on the list maybe the Whites 6000 Di pro, This is a great machine but is very heavy, that's not really a problem but I'm spoiled with the lighter newer machines. My whites M6 is the best coin hunter I've ever owned so far, I crank the disc, and dig dimes and quarters only, well copper pennies too. I won't part with the M6 I love that machine. I think I'll bring the cz5 to the next club meeting and unload it for $350.00 and see if sells. It's like new, pretty much no wear & tear to speak of.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch, I really just gotta try a beep and dig, a lot of people say their finds go up when using a beep and dig, so I just figured I'd take the plunge. The high tone and the new DD RSD coil sold me, a black one would have been the icing on the cake. But it just wasn't available. Good luck with your Vaquero. HH

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an old homesite this morning and used the MX-5 for the first hour then to a sports field and used the Silver uMax. I actually enjoyed the beep and dig time more than using the machine with the screen and tones. I have had a love hate with beep and dig machines but I am liking it more these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread