All Treasure Hunting

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some interesting info. It's no secret that my go to search coil is a NEL Sharpshooter.

Tesoro's 5 x 10 inch DD search coil is another good one. Both get amazing depth when used on my Vaquero, Tejon and modded Cibola.

The Sharpshooter is a little wider and gets about a inch more in depth, but it doesn't separate as well as the 5 x 10 does.

Also the 5 x 10 being solid glides better over grass and doesn't get hung up as much in the brush as the Sharpshooter does.

On the other hand, the Sharpshooter looks way cooler. You can't go wrong with either search coil.

Oh yeah, if your detector doesn't have a ground balance definitely go with the Tesoro 5 x 10 because Tesoro won't balance or tune NEL search coils to Tesoro detectors.

tabman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you ask where to buy CORS coils, the site gives Serious Detecting in MI.

If your on the NEL site, it says Gold Diggers in NJ.

Serious Detecting doesn't carry Fisher and Technetics and only 3 Tesoro's. A big MineLab and Whites site. Wonder if they are the new distributors and may limit selections?

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they are very new and they have a lot of "serious" detecting accessories.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried the new CORS Shrew coil on a Tesoro yet? Apparently NEL coil is now known as CORS Labs?

NEL is not known as Cors....Cors is a spin off company of NEL. They have the same owner. Not sure why but they are marketing a second line of coils under this new name.

NEL has not gone away, they are still here as its own company. They are the original coils from this company.... A known and proven product. We will not be sure what's different about the Cors line until people get them and try them out to see the differences. Until then I'd suggest sticking with the proven NEL products. :)

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info I thought they had combined as one company.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone hasn't tried the CORS yet, I just bought the CORS Strike 12"x13"
It went on a Minelab Sovereign XS.
I strictly beach hunt along the Treasure Coast. This coil replaced my 10" Tornado and also the 8" Coinsearch.
Been to beach twice...so far.
My thoughts will follow shortly.
I plan on contacting Serious Detecting first with my review.

Trez

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This isn't first hand information, so I am not sure how well the CORS coils work, but an associate on FB stated that he purchased a CORS for his Vaquero and he is having a difficult time with chattering and pinpointing. It could be that it isn't tuned properly to his detector.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please pardon my resurecting this old thread, but has anyone used the CORS Shrew in either 4 pin or 5 pin?
Also, how about the NEL Sharpshooter on a 5 pin machine?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm presently waiting on a CORS Fortune in 5 pin. I'll try it on my Eldorado sometime next week. Got a 5.75 concentric on it now, but I am finding that the concentric likes small, black hot rocks a bit too much (and they're all around). I can run more positive on the GB and that helps disc to those out, but I shouldn't have to run that much positive. The DD should help there, and I think the Fortune/Sharpshooter should be a good size. I'll comment on it in a couple weeks...

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has it ever been clearly explained to where I can understand, the current Nels, Cors relationship, history?

I have Nels coils, haven't got a Cors yet that I know of lol.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has it ever been clearly explained to where I can understand, the current Nels, Cors relationship, history?

I have Nels coils, haven't got a Cors yet that I know of lol.

Reading everything I can find out there, it's apparent that they're the same coil company with two different brands, supposedly for marketing to different distributors throughout this planet. Pretty sure you'll find identical coils on both the CORS and NEL websites, with either different stickers on 'em, or in the case of the two smallest coils offered, different names used on the vacuum-form molds. I wasn't sure which of either brand to try, but finally bought the CORS, when a decent deal came along. I think you can safely go with either, as I've found no complaints.
Choose your sticker. ^_^

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look good and thinking of a fortune or scout for my 4 pins. Mostly leaning towards fortune. But also for the same price as a deal I found on the 10 elliptical tesoro coil.
Anyone tried the fortune on the vaquero or cibola?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread