Tesoro Golden µMax Metal Detector - New Tone

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting a hankering to take my Golden µMax out and give it some swing time. It's has more than paid for itself in gold rings and will give a high tone on a 8 inch buried silver dime. It has a permanent home in my detector arsenal. Anyone else use one?

tabman

10kGoldRing008_zps2dce2135.jpg

18KGoldWeddingBand005_zpsfcd71735.jpg

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I use one. It is the original tone configuration. Depth in my area is not the greatest, but I have been using the 7" widescan on it, and that will limit depth some. I will always hold onto mine.
I was experimenting with the notch adjust the other day, which you know shifts the middle tones on the conductive scale when the notch switch is "off". I was able to eliminate or shift every type of aluminum tab I have out of the lower middle tone and still keep the nickel and every gold ring I (and my wife) owns in that same tone. Our rings are small. Can't wait to give this new setting a try in the spring.

Bought it new from a Tesoro dealer so I have the lifetime warranty. :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hihosilver you're doing right to hang onto that one.

tabman

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Use mine on the beach. Only discriminate iron and I get good depth. I like using it in the woods too. It's a keeper. You don't see them for sale that often.

Attachments

• 1455578131642.jpg
    1455578131642.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
Tabman, I just put the 8 inch concentric on my Golden, it is about 1 Inch deeper in an air test than either the 7 " widescan or the 9x8 OOR stock coil. I think adjusting the GB pot a little negative will help as well, but can't to that yet cause of the snow and wet ground.

Also, the 8" concentric is the better discriminator of the three coils, noticeably better than the 9x8 and just a little better than the widescan. The 8" doughnut came with the Outlaw, now it looks like I will need one for the Golden as well!

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an old tones Golden once. Made a few good finds with it but sold it. I just couldn't get use to all those tones. When I got in an area that had a lot of targets it just confused me. Maybe you guys know some secrets I didn't. I do like the old Golden Sabre. So much so that I have two of them.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman, I just put the 8 inch concentric on my Golden, it is about 1 Inch deeper in an air test than either the 7 " widescan or the 9x8 OOR stock coil. I think adjusting the GB pot a little negative will help as well, but can't to that yet cause of the snow and wet ground.

Also, the 8" concentric is the better discriminator of the three coils, noticeably better than the 9x8 and just a little better than the widescan. The 8" doughnut came with the Outlaw, now it looks like I will need one for the Golden as well!

I own a lot of Tesoro detectors, so I had lots of different search coils to tryout on my Golden. The one that I have on now is a perfect match for the my Golden. Changing search coils on the Golden will affect its depth and tones even when changing from one 8 inch search coil to another 8 inch search coil. I'd be careful about messing around with any pots on the Golden. It's best to send it in and get the search coil tuned to the detector.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a couple good Golden µMax demo videos to watch:

tabman

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I own a lot of Tesoro detectors, so I had lots of different search coils to tryout on my Golden. The one that I have on now is a perfect match for the my Golden. Changing search coils on the Golden will affect its depth and tones even when changing from one 8 inch search coil to another 8 inch search coil. I'd be careful about messing around with any pots on the Golden. It's best to send it in and get the search coil tuned to the detector.

tabman

Yes, you are probably right about sending it in to be tuned to the coil of choice. I will probably just put the 7" widescan back on, as Tesoro tuned the machine to that coil for me, and use the new 8" doughnut on the Outlaw. I want to get out more often with the Outlaw anyways, to learn its language. But occasionally, I will take the Golden out to look for those small rings! My Golden is certainly deep enough for this task with the 7" DD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread