Tejon over Vaq. justification ?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was kind of talked into a Tejon a few years back. And yes, I do still like it and feel that it is quite capable. It is my relic machine over my AT Pro. However I have never lost the nagging feeling that I would basicly get the same capability with the Vaquero. Am I just nieve or not experienced enough with the Tejon to see the added advantages of the machine, over the Vaq? Yes dual disc, but the toggle tends to act up. Eight batteries compared to one. Although weight was never an issue, so I cant compare that. I just bought that Tejon/Vaq. Kindle book to clue in a bit more and I have not had enough time to read it yet. Is the Tejon a deeper machine from the factory than the Vaq., in the right hands, or is it just "different"? I see a few Tejon users but the vast majority seem to grab a Vaq.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had several of both machines and overall I like the Vaq better. Mostly because of the weight I guess. It would be great to have a toggle on a Vaq to use for a coincheck. I usually run just below nickel and thumb the disc knob. A toggle that went just above zinc range would be awesome.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon is deeper by 2.5" as a rule. The ONLY reason to get a Tejon over the Vaquero is that extra 2-inches while All Metal Detecting for relics or farm field hunting. I'll stay with my Vaquero with the new 11" x 8" widescan for 96.9-percent of the land hunting I do, but every now and then it is nice to have the Tejon.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I have a few spots were max depth is everything and I would/will have the Tejon howling. I feel better now about my choice. I was also wondering about the new 8x11 RSD coil. I should expect NO loss of depth with this coil in sweet black loam, over the factory original concentric 8x9 correct ? I like the new coil for a bit more coverage and the ability to be used in the local mineralized soils here also. So I am hoping for a double header with the new RSD coil, if I explained my concerns correctly. Thanks.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the new 8x11 RSD coil exclusively on my Tejon. There is no weight difference compared to the stock coil and if anything, i would say a gain in depth.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the new 8x11 RSD coil exclusively on my Tejon. There is no weight difference compared to the stock coil and if anything, i would say a gain in depth.

Wow, thanks. A guy can"t lose with a combo like that ! I know that the Tejon has real depth. I just have to get back up to my 3/4-4/5 speed with it, and hopefully more now that I got that mastering the Tejon and Vaq. e-book. I"ve already wiped the old girl down in prep for some use this year. I never really found ground ballancing to be a problem, it was always quick and easy. But I know that I haven't gotten everything out of it yet. The machine is still more capable than my abilities with it, but I was getting close a few years ago.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a little with Tejon today in the VCO mode. It worked really well for me. Set up that way it acts more like my Vaquero but maybe a little deeper. I found a .177 pellet about 7 inches deep.

tabman

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a little with Tejon today in the VCO mode. It worked really well for me. Set up that way it acts more like my Vaquero but maybe a little deeper. I found a .177 pellet about 7 inches deep.

tabman

Jeez, with that kind of performance, no complaints on this end. I remember getting goose shot from a trade site about that size, but I don"t think that depth. But of course there are variables. I just hope to stabilize the (me) variable a bit more this year. The 8x11 RSD is ordered. Now I"m picking up the heavy duty rubber bands that the letter carriers leave on deliveries. I used to like putting a couple around the battery covers for additional assurance. I lost a battery pack crawling through some dense bush once. I carried back half an Elk rack drop that I found that day, still have it. I think that I tried VCO mode once a few years back and pulled a crotal bell and trade folding knife. I need to learn a thing or two.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another option is the Lobo ST. It can use all the same coils as the Vaquero or the Tejon, and is pretty good at finding small stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions