Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all new here to the forum. Have $500 to spend, not a penny more. I've done my DD and would love to have the vaq. If new, comes at about $450 with the 11x8, original receipt for warranty and comes in a week or so. Used, looks like $250-$400, old stock coil, no life time warranty, and would have to wait to find one. But I would have money left over to upgrade coil and have 2. Is it worth it to buy new when these keep popping up for sale used?

I have had 3 Tesoro's. 1 new, 2 used. A used Tesoro can only be degraded by it's looks. If it looks good, the chances of it not working like a new one is nil. And even worn down looking ones continue giving like new performance. Tesoro has the best track record of detectorists desire for older units because of their proven stability, depth and abilities. If it were me, I'd look for a good looking used one that was purchased by someone who just didn't find the passion of detecting their thing. Those units are begging to get into the field and make you happy.

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre,Goldbug 2,MXT e-Track four coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used Vaquero knowing it had ground balancing issues .
Very sensitive will not hold a ground balance and would sound off when barely adjusted. Replaced with a 10 turn pot .easy fixed better than before although you have to lower it to the pinpoint position and put the pin point in the GB position with toggle switch .some good deals out there

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a used Vaquero knowing it had ground balancing issues .
Very sensitive will not hold a ground balance and would sound off when barely adjusted. Replaced with a 10 turn pot .easy fixed better than before although you have to lower it to the pinpoint position and put the pin point in the GB position with toggle switch .some good deals out there

Hey 223Larry, might you have the part # on the 10 turn pot you used?
Did going to that pot still keep your GB roughly in the middle of its range (like 5 turns in), or did it balance near one end of the range?

My Vaquero is a bit jumpy on the GB knob as well. Bought it used; probably plenty, but it works well. Thought a 10 turn GB may be nice.
Don't see any point sending it in to Tesoro for repair when I can easily swap out that pot.

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It balances near the end,But much more adjustment then the old pot.and it holds balance

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Vaquero, Tejon, and Outlaw matched with either the Tesoro 5 x 10 inch DD search coil or the NEL Sharpshooter search coil is by far my favorite combo. These search coils cover a lot of ground with each sweep, have great separation, are easy to pinpoint with, get good depth and are easy to swing. My next favorite search coil is the Tesoro 5.75 inch concentric.

In this video target is always directly under the orange dot in the center of the search coil. If you'll listen you can tell a lot about the target and how deep it is. My lawn is loaded with targets that were used for testing on my driveway that got blown into the grass by the yard guys when I forgot to pick them up.

tabman

Scout

Jul 18, 2012
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Whites MX SPORT, Tesoro Eldorado 1989 model, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all new here to the forum. Have $500 to spend, not a penny more. I've done my DD and would love to have the vaq. If new, comes at about $450 with the 11x8, original receipt for warranty and comes in a week or so. Used, looks like $250-$400, old stock coil, no life time warranty, and would have to wait to find one. But I would have money left over to upgrade coil and have 2. Is it worth it to buy new when these keep popping up for sale used?

Hey wood,
I am in the same gear getting a new Tesoro Vaquero after doing a month of research and having been a Tesoro user since 1987 as well as my Dad was and Brother is and still kicking butt with my old Lunch Box Eldorado that out hunts most of my buddies with high dollar Mine Labs. I talked to Alan at Tesoro yesterday about the Vaquero and he confirmed my area's I will be Relic Hunting in So Calif mining towns and sometimes at the parks and Lakes that Vaquero will be perfect! He said get the Black model with the 11x8 DD coil and buy a 5.75 concentric coil for real trashy areas, also talked to Alan about my wife's little Compadre I got her because there's no B.S. for her to mess with and that machine is downright amazing! I have actually been taking her's out more for quick hunts because I just turn it on and go. Tesoro is an Awesome company and always there when you need help, I sent my 1988 Lunch Box Eldorado in for a tune up a few months ago and all covered under my "Lifetime" warranty:thumbsup: My brother has my late Father's Lunch box Royal Sabre and we both find more Relics every time we go out, you just can't beat a Tesoro and will never sell those older machines. Getting the Vaquero so I can swing the detector longer, 13 years ago I broke 10 Ribs in a off road race along with other major aches and pains so I am looking forward to having a lightweight detector. I haven't been on this site for a while but will post some stuff when I get the new one and some of our finds with the old Eldorado:thumbsup:
Cheers, Scout

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a used Whites MXT all pro ,OMG what the h#$% was i thinking.never dug so many bottle caps before and i'm crippled now from the weight.Oh well live and learn.it will be up for sale.Viva Vaquero

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coil does it have on it? What you asking for it? It has a great balance compared to an Etrac or safari

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mineralized soul the 5.75 Widescan DD coil or 11x8 DD should do well over the 8x9 concentric

INFO needed--------------------So in my good 'ole high mineral Georgia soil a DD is best ?
Thanks in advance for replies.
Marvin

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marvin, yes for moderate to higher mineralized soil a DD is the preferred type of coil because it actually sees less cubic inches of ground under the coil. Another good coil is the Nel Sharpshooter.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INFO needed--------------------So in my good 'ole high mineral Georgia soil a DD is best ?
Thanks in advance for replies.
Marvin

In Arkansas with my dirty dirt, the DD coils blow away the concentrics. The 5.75 Widescan is as deep as the stock 9x8 concentric. The 11x8 RSD on the Vaquero is just awesome.

Adding the 11x8 RSD to my Silver UMax made a huge difference over the stock 8 inch donut.

Wish my Compadre had a DD, still debating putting one on myself.

With that said, the concentrics have their own advantages I'll let others tell you about.

But if you want deep, the DD coil can see through the mineralization so much better.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...With that said, the concentrics have their own advantages I'll let others tell you about.

But if you want deep, the DD coil can see through the mineralization so much better.

Might those advantages of the concentric be: Some increase in depth, somewhat more consistent discrimination, and more accurate pinpointing? All assuming that you're using the concentric in mild soil, of course... Something I don't have here, either. My GB changes every few steps, no fault of my Tesoros.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might those advantages of the concentric be: Some increase in depth, somewhat more consistent discrimination, and more accurate pinpointing? All assuming that you're using the concentric in mild soil, of course... Something I don't have here, either. My GB changes every few steps, no fault of my Tesoros.

Got out the V for a bit testing to collect some data. Pumped the 11x8 RSD coil, ground balanced, picked up a dime I got pretty deep in the garden. Put on the 9x8 stock concentric, rebalanced, couldn't find the dime. Cranked the ground balance half turn to left, was hitting dime solid like 11x8.

Put back on the 11x8, ground balanced, then cranked ground balance half turn negative again, V goes even deeper.

Why ground balance when "not balanced" hits several inches deeper?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out the V for a bit testing to collect some data. Pumped the 11x8 RSD coil, ground balanced, picked up a dime I got pretty deep in the garden. Put on the 9x8 stock concentric, rebalanced, couldn't find the dime. Cranked the ground balance half turn to left, was hitting dime solid like 11x8.

Put back on the 11x8, ground balanced, then cranked ground balance half turn negative again, V goes even deeper.

Why ground balance when "not balanced" hits several inches deeper?

May have to do with the 11x8 RSD being a "hotter" coil than 9x8, even though in theory, the 9x8 concentric should be deeper (?).

Maybe because the Vaquero goes to a positive ground balance when in disc mode. Were you hunting in the same mode that you set the GB in (all-metal), or in disc?
Seems odd, but I found that it works best by setting the GB slightly negative in all metal, then when you're in disc, it's closer to where it should be...

I first find neutral GB, then go slightly negative. Too much negative GB, and you'll chatter & get false signals more in disc, especially with sensitivity cranked up past 10. When it's chattering too much, I either back off on sensitivity or go slightly positive on the GB, sometimes a touch of each 'till it's happy again. ^_^

BTW- on the subject of new vs used Vaqueros... It's great to have the lifetime warranty of a new Tesoro, BUT, there are also some decent deals on used eBay Vaqueros right now... I've seen a few that look to be in good shape, with 9x8 coils, at about 1/2 what new retails for. Couldn't help myself but just bought another Vaquero myself; a newer black one with the 11x8 RSD, factory box and all paperwork. Very nice shape and great price @ $325 shipped. Been wanting a black one...
Also, as long as the price was "right" on your used detector, for $50 plus shipping to them, Tesoro will make sure it's calibrated and send it back to you. Hard to go wrong buying new or used. ^_^

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it, running discrimination after ground balancing in all metal.

Great deals on ebay, some risk, Rusty will bail you out. Lot of as new machines, people getting rid of.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Lot of as new machines, people getting rid of.
And plenty of tired looking ones, too. All sorts to chose from. If you wait a few weeks, any model you want may turn up.
I think with some of the nicer Tesoros, folks played with 'em just briefly. The seller of my latest Vaquero purchase, said he used it for 3 weeks, and is "upgrading"; my guess, is to a TID detector.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you want to use your ear buds and block outside sound, put a pair of industrial earmuffs over them. Huge difference. And they won't break the bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread