Buying new or used Vaq.

Thewoodbutcher

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2016
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all new here to the forum. Have $500 to spend, not a penny more. I've done my DD and would love to have the vaq. If new, comes at about $450 with the 11x8, original receipt for warranty and comes in a week or so. Used, looks like $250-$400, old stock coil, no life time warranty, and would have to wait to find one. But I would have money left over to upgrade coil and have 2. Is it worth it to buy new when these keep popping up for sale used?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have bought new and used detectors. But I will always buy new Tesoros because of the lifetime warranty. If you have extra money to spend, get a pinpointer and Lesche before you get a second coil.

OP
OP
T

Thewoodbutcher

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2016
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already have a fisher f2 and compadre. The basic hunting gear is covered. Just looking to upgrade so when I do get out, I know I'm not leaving much behind. Time is precious.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get rid of the F2, get the new Vaquero, and get busy. :occasion14:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the Tesoros you would more than likely not have to send it in unlike some of the more complicated machines, but with that said, I believe it is a $50 charge if the machine isn't registered under your name and it requires repairs. Basically, if you have the warranty card it is your machine.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in doubt of purchasing a Vaquero in May or April. I believe I will learn to use my Minelab 705, it is a good detector, but, hard to learn to use.

OP
OP
T

Thewoodbutcher

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2016
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've decided to buy it new. I had some really great offers, and someone will benefit from them. My personal thinking is that every part of everything made has a life expectancy, I'd like to guarantee my investment starts with 0 mileage. Now I need to research where to order from...nothing local here. Thanks to everyone here, seems like a great community!

I'll keep the f2, paid $100 for it with 2 coils. I'll let my kids use it if they ever want to to out with me.

A bit off topic...I've been using high end ear buds, am I losing out by not using over the ear headphones?

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ear buds are nice in hot weather but nothing beats a Detector Pro Black Widow for blocking outside noise that allows you to hear the faint sounds. There are also Grey Ghost's, Killer Bee's and a few others. :coffee2:
Black Widow headphones.jpg

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've decided to buy it new. I had some really great offers, and someone will benefit from them. My personal thinking is that every part of everything made has a life expectancy, I'd like to guarantee my investment starts with 0 mileage. Now I need to research where to order from...nothing local here. Thanks to everyone here, seems like a great community!

A bit off topic...I've been using high end ear buds, am I losing out by not using over the ear headphones?

Yes. Get yourself some Killer B Wasp Headphones. I won't leave home without them.

tabman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the Killer B Stinger. Just one earphone so you can also hear your pinpointer and surroundings!

Green%20Stinger.jpg

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newbie to the Vaquero but thought I'd share what I've learned so far...

This machine is such a breeze to operate, and gets great depth and separation with the stock 8X9 coil. I really like the manual GB adjustment, something not found too often on new machines in this price range. I don't know of any other detector brand that offers a lifetime warranty so you will definitely have peace of mind!

Not sure how your soil is, but I'm starting to think that a smaller coil could help me in my mineralized dirt...time will only tell!

Let us know how it goes for you!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In mineralized soul the 5.75 Widescan DD coil or 11x8 DD should do well over the 8x9 concentric

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before buying, one of the slmajor sellers was offering a trade in program with old detectors. You may find it useful, someone will know who is offering that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would probably just call Rusty Henry at Tesoro direct and get a new one. They can only go down to a certain price anyway.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I also have an F2 and a Compadre, don't use the F2 anymore and it was retired with honors.
Got a Vaq too, that was my first real detector, loved using it and still pull it out from time to time along with my Compadre.
I use an F70 more now but I will never get rid of my Tesoros as they are so much fun to use and still so productive.
The training I learned for those hundreds of hours listening to my Tesros made me a much better hunter using my Fishers.
A few things I learned using my F70 made me a better hunter using my Vaq.
I rarely use the standard coil on the Vaq, the 10x12 and especially a 5.75 concentric are my favorites, the sniper is excellent in my pop top and trash infested sites and has surprising depth in good soil and seems to work well in very mineralized soil too.
I use Killer B's which work better than well on every detector I have ever connected them to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thewoodbutcher

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2016
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Order was placed with Rusty, great guy. Should have it Monday. That will give me some time to play with it before the ground thaws out here. Hopefully will find enough this spring to get a sniper by summer. Thanks everyone for your input, will post my finds as I go, and keep learning from this great community!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep one ear muff off in sketchy areas. The kids with pants half way down their knees can't walk up behind you then.

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a belt loop punch with me to offer to them in case they need help.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
I just picked up a used black one with the new 8x11" coil for $350. It was in excellent about new condition, with no real signs of use. I just got it and look forward to start using it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread