Vaquero sensitivity setting all metal inoperative

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my new Vaquero this week after having a blast with the Silver uMax.

What I noticed is the Vaquero sensitivity setting in all metal is on full. Turning it down has no effect on the Vaquero except in discrimination mode. Sensitivity adjust does work on the Silver uMax in all metal and discrimination mode.

I found others have noticed it on their Vaqueros while searching the Internet but seems odd to me. My curiosity has me asking. Steve

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vaquero is working as it should. The 'all metal' mode on the Silver µMax is really a discriminate mode without any discrimination. The Vaquero's 'all metal' mode is a true threshold based all metal mode and the sensitivity control knob doesn't have any affect on it.

tabman

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, My Vaquero is truly all metal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got my new Vaquero this week after having a blast with the Silver uMax.

What I noticed is the Vaquero sensitivity setting in all metal is on full. Turning it down has no effect on the Vaquero except in discrimination mode. Sensitivity adjust does work on the Silver uMax in all metal and discrimination mode.

I found others have noticed it on their Vaqueros while searching the Internet but seems odd to me. My curiosity has me asking. Steve

From the manual:

Your Vaquero is equipped with an automatic Threshold Retune circuit in the ALL METAL Mode. While searching in the ALL METAL Mode, the circuit is constantly adjusting the threshold to maintain the steadiest possible audio tone. The Threshold Retune circuit can also be used to help the pinpointing of targets. Hold any target over the coil somewhere between four and six inches away from the coil. You will get a strong audio target signal. After a few seconds, the audio signal will drop to the preset threshold level. When this happens, move the target one or two inches to either side of the center of the coil. You will notice that the audio signal will go silent or null and that the target will only beep directly over the center of the coil. When this technique is used in the field, it will simplify your ability to quickly pinpoint your target. http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/vaquero/

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite some time ago, I read somewhere that the all metal mode on most, if not all, detectors is always in full sensitivity, regardless of how the sensitivity is set.
luvsdux

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!