Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless I get a good signal with the Vaquero I usually don't dig, seems like every time I get faint clicks or weak signals I dig down about a foot and it's a staple or something. Yesterday I dug and dug and it turned out to be a single bristle off a wire brush but very deep so I chose to ignore those signals the rest of the day. Am I missing good targets by ignoring those? Some of those are good in both directions but just clicks so I'm wondering if it's just crap or a deep target. They start weak then get stronger as I go deeper so I'm afraid to quit digging. Should I just trust the detector and keep ignoring them? I need a discriminating pinpointer. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how easy the digging is before I start going after the deep clicks that hit from both ways. If I'm hunting the deep stiff I usually carry my predator raptor it much better at digging the deep stuff. I usually use my Vaquero when I'm doing this and super tune it to see if it cleans up the signal to make my decision to dig or not.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how easy the digging is before I start going after the deep clicks that hit from both ways. If I'm hunting the deep stiff I usually carry my predator raptor it much better at digging the deep stuff. I usually use my Vaquero when I'm doing this and super tune it to see if it cleans up the signal to make my decision to dig or not.

Good point, thanks.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was quite impressed when my Vaquero beeped a rusty staple several inches down (in all-metal). Felt silly digging it though. ^_^

So far, with the Vaquero, I've been setting disc at the line before nickel. That usually has it ignoring small iron and small foil, but probably causes me to miss some better goodies down deeper. Oh well. We'll figure it out... Just takes some patience, I guess. Meanwhile, if using the disc, it'll just take a while before you trust it. I still don't quite trust mine and dig more trash than I should. I've seen that really rusty cans still aren't disc'ing out where I've been setting mine, but don't sound quite as smooth as a coin, either. Thumbing the disc up still has them sounding interesting, but more clicky and harsh. Hopefully my new headphones will help.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bought a metal detector for finding metal an you are disappointed when it beeps on deep targets...:laughing7: Turn down sens.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bought a metal detector for finding metal an you are disappointed when it beeps on deep targets...:laughing7: Turn down sens.

No beeps, just clicks. Disappointed it still picks up a single wire brush bristle almost a foot deep with discrimination all the way up.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you think the detector is bad and wanna get rid of it, let me know!! However, I recommend you going here:
https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Te...and vaquero&qid=1463016956&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I think this would be the best $10 you spent in a long time!! Also, if you have any problems with it being in Kindle format, search for the title on Tnet. There are also free Kindle readers for PC. I got mine directly off of Amazon for free.

OP
OP
U

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think the detector is bad and wanna get rid of it, let me know!! However, I recommend you going here:
https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Te...and vaquero&qid=1463016956&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I think this would be the best $10 you spent in a long time!! Also, if you have any problems with it being in Kindle format, search for the title on Tnet. There are also free Kindle readers for PC. I got mine directly off of Amazon for free.

Thank you, but don't get me wrong, I love the Vaquero except for that little niggle.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You evidently have a hotter coil for that Vaquero. Sometimes a deep target has a rust halo which makes the detector think its a larger item. Ignore the clicks.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No beeps, just clicks. Disappointed it still picks up a single wire brush bristle almost a foot deep with discrimination all the way up.

I could not fully disc out iron either. In my test garden, Vaquero would click on deeper dimes, or dimes on edge I was constantly digging good dime signals that ended up being iron junk. My Vaq was like eating rice krispies. Snap, crackle, pop all day long. Did not know if I was missing a deep dime, little piece of rusty wire, or it was just trying to disc out iron trash. Got old for me after awhile.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vaquero and all Tesoros for that matter do like iron more than most other machines. The Vaquero has excellent depth for its price though. Big iron and deep rusty nails will drive you crazy. The Cibola is an even better buy if you have mild soil. For a relatively clean site with deep targets, there is no better machine for the money

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero and all Tesoros for that matter do like iron more than most other machines. The Vaquero has excellent depth for its price though. Big iron and deep rusty nails will drive you crazy. The Cibola is an even better buy if you have mild soil. For a relatively clean site with deep targets, there is no better machine for the money

I believe its the higher frequencies in general on the Tesoros. Thats same sensitivity to iron makes it great on gold jewelry while not losing anything on silver coins.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe its the higher frequencies in general on the Tesoros. Thats same sensitivity to iron makes it great on gold jewelry while not losing anything on silver coins.
True on the higher frequency and gold/iron of course, but silver tends to respond better with lower frequencies, like below 5 kHz. Hence detectors like the Whites Eagle (under 5 kHz), Minelab X-Terra (ability to run at 3 kHz) and others.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True on the higher frequency and gold/iron of course, but silver tends to respond better with lower frequencies, like below 5 kHz. Hence detectors like the Whites Eagle (under 5 kHz), Minelab X-Terra (ability to run at 3 kHz) and others.

This is what makes the 10.6 kHz Silver uMax with the 11" x 8" coil a KILLER on silver coins! You don't have to go as low as 5 kHz to hit hard on deep silver. I think 7.5 kHz - 14.5 kHz runs deeper and is just as sensitive to silver and copper rounds depending on soils.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right that any detector will do ok on silver, but there IS a reason some detectors are specific frequencies. Trashy sites in addition to soil play a large part. Silver being a high conductor, does not need as high of a frequency or as many 'waves' transmitted to the ground to find it, lower freq lessens the chances of hitting as hard on the surrounding (lower conductivity) iron (and tiny targets) & allowing the silver to stand out in the ferrous trash. In iron trash, I am pretty sure a lower frequency will do best on silver. I believe that is the reasoning behind the multi-freq detectors and the X-Terra, and the Silver Eagle. There will have to be at least some give and take, no (single frequency) detector does it all. For all around hunting, I prefer the middle of the road 6 to 7.5 kHz, but I also really liked the Compadre at 12 kHz, it did not hit nearly as hard on iron.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find my silver uMax seems to do better thru the iron trash than the HOT machines. It seems like the audio is better on the Epsilon Machines when trying to decide whether a target is iron falsing or a good target. The 11x8 RSD really "wakes" up the silver uMax in what little time I have on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread