BOOK REVIEW: “Mastering the Tesoro Tejón and Vaquero Metal Detectors,” by Christian T

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“Mastering the Tesoro Tejón and Vaquero Metal Detectors,” by Christian Thorsten / Kindle E-Book / Amazon.com / $9.99

A lot of folks ask why anyone would write an advanced user manual for machines that are over a decade old. Author Christian Thorsten answers that question this way – “The first answer is that they're worth it. I don't know of any other book that concentrates on these two models.” A simple, straight forward, easy to understand answer that mirror’s the author’s writing style.

Chris writes in detail about the more advanced use of the two machines and how to dig deeper targets while digging less trash. Topics include Depth finding; Discrimination; Ground balancing; Working in iron; Digging deep coins; One tone audio; and The “round” signal.

Chris explains, “..There's another type of information you can gather from the single audio tone of the Vaquero or Tejón. Conductive, round objects can give what I'd call a "round signal". With a couple of the right attributes (such as apparent signal width), this round signal can become a sort of "coin signature" that allows you to pick out desirable targets from junk.”

He goes on to describe more complex signal characteristics like duration, volume, rise and fall profile, hard-edged, soft-edged, broken, smooth, loud, soft, solid, clipped, drawn-out and narrow signals and, what they mean. Many of the nuances in a single-tone signal took me hundreds-of-hours on the headphones to learn and understand on my own. This book can help you cut your learning time on the headphones by months, maybe years!

Another thing I really enjoyed about the book was the honest and empirical comparisons made between multi-frequency and multi-tone machines, to the Vaquero and Tejón. Chris writes, “One tone or multi tones? Which is better in the field? In my experience, much of the contest happens at the highly trash-infested sites, where there are junk targets everywhere. The two technologies have different approaches toward these junk targets.” Want to know which one he chooses and why? Buy the book!

Lastly, like many old codgers who went without computers until our grandchildren insisted we try one, I was a bit dubious about “downloading” a book. Fortunately for all of us, it could not be easier! I had to download the free Kindle app to my computer so that I could read the book (you can also put it on your telephone), purchase the book at Amazon, and I was in business. I was even able to print it out at home!

If you own a Tesoro Tejón, Vaquero, Outlaw or Cibola, you should read this book. It is gold and silver in your finds bag! – Terry Soloman http://www.TerryrSoloman.com

https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Te...dle Edition&qid=1463011275&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though some iron will not discriminate out, the audio tone on a piece of flat iron is long with sharp edges on the beginning and end of the audio tone. If I dig a piece of flat iron, it's my own damn fault for not paying attention. The next line of defense is using auto tune all metal to size the target. Aluminum screw caps, aluminum cans and iron will size a lot larger than coins and rings will.

People who haven't read this book are missing the boat.

tabman

idigcoins

May 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this book a couple of months ago and printed it out. The information is invaluable. I was really impressed to find a book so item specific to my machine!

223Larry

Sep 5, 2015
Waterford CA mother lode
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre,Goldbug 2,MXT e-Track four coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you print it out if its on your I phone?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you print it out of its on your I phone?

Can you plug your phone into your printer? How about your computer? If so, yes. Could work with a Bluetooth printer as well(?).

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This book would be a real eyeopener to those people who don't even use a Tesoro.

tabman

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that he has a few good things to say about the Outlaw too.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a AIRPRINTER, which means i can print from an APPLE device. But i see no need to print the book on paper when i can read it on computer or iPad. One thing Terry forgot to mention is why analog detectors are better at reporting targets than digital units. Ya need to read the book to fully understand it.

Mastering the Tejon.PNG https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Te...g the tejon&qid=1465222636&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my copy a couple weeks ago; reading through for the second time.

^_^

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what's nice about this book. You can read it anytime - anywhere! :occasion14:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I d/l'd this one many months ago. I briefly went through it once and it looks well worth the nominal payment that I made. If I force myself to read when I don't want to, there is little retention. So maybe this is a winter read for me. I appreciate and acknowledge the value of the material, but I'm just not into it right now.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "accidently" bought this book.
I was reading a sample and it cut me off, I thought I tried to sample it again and bought it.
Man I'm glad I did. I don't have a Tejon so I sorta skimmed that part (but I'll probably end up with one at the rate in going). But the vaquero part was nice. It also applies to any tesoro (some parts even for machines like the compadre like the ones about the sound of the one tone) but mostly ones with ground balance as far as the settings of it although I've been told that trying to super tune the outlaw doesn't help much. Maybe it's just the H.O.T machines that this tidbit helps with, I'm not sure.
But this book was great. Read it many times but still rereading it all the time lol.
Definitely worth the money.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I can think of MANY more-wasteful ways to spend the money! The book is amazing.

rob0260

Apr 4, 2014
I agree. It's a great book. I've got it on my android and have read it many times.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I think this book is awesome myself. It's a great read with a grip of accurate and very correct information. Chris did an excellent job, he was spot on and fair with no exaggerations or hype to the Tesoro detectors as well as the other detectors mentioned. He explains clearly the reason why I like Tesoro detectors and analog technology verses the newer all digital units. I hope Tesoro never goes all 100% digital letting this tried and true analog technology go. Only in the case that some super brake through is made that outdates everything like truly seeing what's in the ground, we could only wish...Then everyone would detect and find everything and it would all be gone..Lol.

Some just cant handle the truth...Lol....Just kidding on the square.

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

* Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil package
* Tesoro Tejon
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* Whites M6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions