Why does my DeLeon False Signal So Often?

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am fairly new to the Tesoro Deleon, I had been using a Whites Classic ID for a few years, and it worked just fine for me. Now with the Deleon, in areas where the whites Could swing silently for an hour, I get multiple 95 "silver coin" signals per sweep. When I go back over them they are unrepeatable or signal as iron. because of this I can not take my eyes off the screen, being as I get constant GREAT sounding hits every swing and I need to be able to see which ones are actual signals and not "ghosts". I was in discrim mode with the discrim knob cranked to the "a" in tab, sensitivity below the 1 (if it is above 3 I get constant falsing) and threshold 30 degrees E of N I guess... The soil I am digging in is dark sandy soil, pretty much black, in Southeastern Minnesota. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to make this stop? My neck is sore from looking down!
On a better note, I was digging nails and coins in the same hole for the first time! The discrimination is quite good despite the concentric coil and the "noise".
Thanks for any help!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have the wrong machine for your soil which is too mineralized and conductive for the Deleon and its fixed ground balance. You need a manual ground balance machine.:skullflag:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry is probably right. To make sure find a clean piece of ground without any metal in it. In the discriminate mode briskly pump the search coil over the area from 6 inches to 1 inch. When doing this if you hear false noises, especially on the uplift then your detector is factory set too negative for your soil. The best solution is to get a detector with a manual ground balance or see if Tesoro can set the GB on your detector to match your ground conditions.

tabman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be to simple.....Have you cleaned out the coil cover?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have pretty forgiving soil for the most part, but my D chatters and falses if I put on a coil larger than the stock. Also, I find it works better and still gives good depth by running the sensitivity in the 6-8 range.
luvsdux

OP
OP
antlerman23

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coil cover is clean, yes. What is a good replacement detector I could get used for about what this machine is worth? It must be due to the fixed ground balance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$450 - $700.00 there are quite a few Vaquero; Outlaw; AT Pro; Minelab 505 - 705; Fisher, Whites

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's cconsistentlyfalsing and a kind of rhythm in all metal with the threshold at a nice hum and the VDI and graph in jumping in disc mode, it's a EMI issue. Mine does this when close to high power lines or those green boxes outside my apartment building. Try a different area.
The Deleon and Cortes are way more sensitive to EMI then other tesoros.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In Ron Barnes field test for the Deleon that is posted at Tesoro's website. "The most helpful piece of info is the bar graph. The manual advises that if more than one segment is displayed, then it is probably an iron target. I can say with certainty that if one segment of the bar graph locks in and the number displayed locks on, you can "bet the farm" on the I.D. of that particular target. If you have several segments or parts of segments showing on the bar graph, it is absolutely an irregular-shaped piece of iron "

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ron Barnes field test for the Deleon that is posted at Tesoro's website. "The most helpful piece of info is the bar graph. The manual advises that if more than one segment is displayed, then it is probably an iron target. I can say with certainty that if one segment of the bar graph locks in and the number displayed locks on, you can "bet the farm" on the I.D. of that particular target. If you have several segments or parts of segments showing on the bar graph, it is absolutely an irregular-shaped piece of iron "

Well I've had dimes that will hit 95 and full bar in the silver area but will jump a bit. It is a dime. But you have to get rather consistent 95 and full bar in silver. If it does jump a little it could just be deep or on edge.

But I agree, if you get multiple graphs bars than its usually junk but could also be gold if the graphs are in the correct area.
That's why I use my Deleon just for coins. The way gold rings in you don't know what it is.

But I want to take it out and just dig everything to better understand what it's telling me on those jumpy and multi bar targets.
I have no gold to test it with.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, Now I know where your at.Near as I can tell they aren't good targets when it jumps from silver to iron, eventually by lifting the coil, it reads iron. I think I had the threshold set too high, making it more unstable than it should have been. In saying that, I dug a 1964 nickel, 1965 quarter and a 1989 dime. I'm tempted to throw the 4" coil on it and see how it reacts.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I am really liking the Deleon. What is working for me is to set threshold low, like 8 -9 o clock position on the dial. The manual says 10 O clock or higher but it runs more predictable and stable at a lower setting. I run in disc mode at the L in foil and sensitivity at 7.It is a better coin hunter than my first impression of it was. The 4" coil works as well as the 9x 8, just less ground coverage. The 4 " coil depth reading is closer to the actual depth than the stock coil appears to read.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Deleon has found 146 coins and a key in 3 nights of mding after work.Don't be afraid to turn the threshold down, I was running the threshold down at 6 O' clock position and sensitivity at 4 .It was almost too tranquil but it still registered tabs and coins well.I have two spots where I cannot pinpoint the coins, I believe there is a pocket spill but the coins are too deep to be picked up with the pro pointer. I'll take the sabre with the 4" coil tomorrow to pin point with and pick it apart. They are either a lot of coins or big iron in the ground although the machine never waivered from silver tab display, I believe there are a lot of coins scattered together.The Deleon is not the greatest at pin pointing, or I am just so use to the pinpoint on the sabre, making the Deleon seem difficult at times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread