where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't use the 4" but I have the 5.75" concentric coil mounted on my Vaquero most of the time and I love it.
In trashy sites it works better than just well, in iron infested sites, one crazy phenomenally iron filled site in particular, it took a little practice and slow coil movements but eventually I learned to pick out high conductors in a sea of very dense iron fairly easily with great success.
The fast response and separation abilities on unmasking targets is great on all Tesoros...it seemed magnified to a noticeable degree using this small coil so I assume using that even smaller one it will be just as good and enjoyable...if not better.
Surprising depth too and I have used mine in both almost perfect and fantastic soil in the midwest plus the red devil dirt in the southeast.

Mine seemed pretty lucky for me also, here is a movie I made after finding a very small gold ring in a very large area that no way I had any business even trying.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FhPT55m2TOM

This was only my second or third hunt using this coil and I had hunted this area before with larger coils and other detectors so it was pretty lucky, I love using my skills to find great targets but when luck comes my way I embrace it fully.

I was moving pretty fast but I still got a great, solid, loud dig me signal on this tiny thing with my disc set a little lower almost to iron so I went back to examine it and using my thumbing technique to pass the fade out point on the disc knob and back down it came in super solid with no noise so I had to dig it.
The sharp disc abilities on this small coil is as good if not even more sharp using this coil as any I have ever used including the great disc on my Compadre.
I prefer the concentric over the widescans because I hunt many trashy sites with lots of pop tops and this kind works well in that environment.

I hunt mostly trash filled or iron filled sites, many with both, so the smaller coverage does not bother me at all, it actually fills me with confidence instead.

A valuable tool in my arsenal, I hope you will discover yours will be the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use the 4" but I have the 5.75" concentric coil mounted on my Vaquero most of the time and I love it.
In trashy sites it works better than just well...

Yup; those 5.75s are currently my favorites where I play. I now have both the widescan and concentric 5.75 in the Delta coils, and not sure which I like better... The concentric does seem to disc better, and is easier to pinpoint... However, I also notice that the concentric IS more sensitive to hot rocks, so I need to either put up with them, or tune 'em out with more positive GB. Don't seem to pick 'em all up with the DD (widescan) coil. Still haven't tried the little 4" though... May take it out tomorrow for a quick test. ^_^

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've made some good finds using the 4". Depth to 5 or 6 inches, great in heavy trash, near fences and checking walls in old houses etc. I recommend covering small, trashy areas slowly and well, then move to the next. Patience and focus will pay off using this coil, but it's not for serious ground coverage.
luvsdux

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made some good finds using the 4". Depth to 5 or 6 inches, great in heavy trash, near fences and checking walls in old houses etc. I recommend covering small, trashy areas slowly and well, then move to the next. Patience and focus will pay off using this coil, but it's not for serious ground coverage.
luvsdux

Have used a few over the ears on the Thames river all tesoro user use them on their scout depth isn't great but target separation is a must to have............

RR

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one but haven't tried it yet. Nothing has been dense enough to need smaller than my 5.75, but as soon as I find that special area, I'll break it out.
I should try it to make sure it's in working order...

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one but haven't tried it yet. Nothing has been dense enough to need smaller than my 5.75, but as soon as I find that special area, I'll break it out.
I should try it to make sure it's in working order...

Should be OK in some of the old picnic areas up here where the soil seems to be made of bottlecaps, tulltabs, melted cans and bullet shells. Some of these old areas are so trashy it's almost not worth the trouble detecting, but they're still pretty and quiet. The trashiest one up here is where I found a couple wheats from the teens, so I'm hopeful... ^_^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread