Tiger Shark Swing Speed

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I have had my Tiger Shark for a couple of years and love it. I hunt mostly fresh water lake swimming holes that vary from 12 to 15 inch deep sand to gravel and rock bottoms. I swing fast & low and cover a lot of ground. I set disc at about 4 and dig any repeatable signal. I do get a lot of finds compared to my normal water hunting partner with his Excal including lots of jewelry and clad and several bobbie pins per trip. It seems to me that I am doing it right but am wondering, especially in the deep sand, if I should be running all metal fast{ which I do occasionally} but swinging much slower to possibly get some of the deeper hits. Please let me know your opinions. Is my fast swing costing me deep targets? Thanks Steve

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure! Swing speed can work for, and against you with a lot of Tesoro machines. My rule of thumb with the Tiger is a "second hand" speed sweep to acquire deeper targets in thick mud or sandy cobble. In other words, I think of the second hand moving around the watch face, scanning slowly in an arc, then overlapping. If I get a repeatable whisper, THEN I'll wave the coil over the hit back and forth quickly to try and pick it up. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry, I'm definitely swinging faster than that. I listen for little blips and then concentrate on that spot. I'll try your method tonight. Thanks again. steve

randyalbin

Sep 24, 2007
Flat Rock, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 CB,XL Pro,IDX Pro,MX5,Tesoro's Bandido,INCA,OutLaw,Tiger Shark,Toltec ll,Toltec 100,Troy Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow is the way to go, for a 24" to 30" sweep...count one thousand one,,,one thousand two,,,,repeat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread