Tesoro Outlaw did it's Job well today.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have not read to much on the outlaw lately. So I thought I would give it a little plug or kudos. I find the Outlaw to be a great little machine. Today I hunted at some older house sites for a few hours. The houses are gone and there is a grip of iron trash and in some places very hard and rocky ground.

Where the Outlaw shined today was target separation in the iron trash there was tons of nails and metal pieces and old beer can tabs. I just slowed down and listened to the sound and thumbed the disk nob as needed to see the range the targets were dropping at. I dug all the positive solid signals from below nickel and up. I have found a Gold coin in this area a 1906 Five dollar Gold piece about 12 years ago. Also some other older coins here throughout the years.

The Outlaws no motion metal toggle switch is a life saver when there's larger lids and pieces of flat iron in the ground. It also alows for a quick switch to the regular all metal motion mode as needed. This function saved me From digging some larger pieces of junk. The Outlaw will for sure let you know when there's a coin in the ground. The Outlaw has a sweet round smooth sound on coins.

I used the Detector Pro Grey Ghost head phones because the newer ones have a lower frequency 150 ohm speaker in them unlike the older models ( Detector Pro switched speaker venders a few years back) These headphones out perform my Killer Bees as I can hear the edges of the targets better with them. They are much better to me than the Killer Bees higher more tinny pitch for lack of a better word to describe. I also used the 8" concentric doughnut coil on the Outlaw, this coil is a great performer on the Outlaw.

I found a lot of junk as would be expected.. I also found a 1967 Dime an old brass lipstick holder tube an old aluminum spring clip along with a modern copper penny from the 1970 and some Zincs. Not great finds but I consider this a big success considering how hard these sites are to hunt. Very tough sites to pull coins out of. Also they have been pounded over the last twenty five years.

You will go home tired Lol...

Also forgive my spelling. I was to busy in school trying to date the Teacher not listen to her....

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great, now I have to get a pair of Grey Ghost phones! Thank's Bill! :laughing7:

It is nice to read a post from a guy that actually knows how to use his machine, and take advantage of it's capabilities! :occasion14:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I just bought an Outlaw, it's my first ever Tesoro in my arsenal. I mostly hunt old ghost towney, iron infested type sites, so I'm interested to see how it'll pull the goods out of the junk.

I'm curious, what coil were you using to detect your trashy area?

HH,
Brian

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Your description of the use was great!

Thanks.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I just bought an Outlaw, it's my first ever Tesoro in my arsenal. I mostly hunt old ghost towney, iron infested type sites, so I'm interested to see how it'll pull the goods out of the junk.

I'm curious, what coil were you using to detect your trashy area?

HH,
Brian

The stock 8" donut coil was what I was useing that particular day. It's a really good all around coil on the Outlaw (my favorite over all on the Outlaw). The smaller Tesoro 5.75 concentric is a real good little coil as well but you will loose some depth with it but it works great in heavy trash (just slow down with it and listen for the good targets). Another sweet coil is the Tesoro 7" round Widescan DD coil it also works real nice on the Outlaw.

The coils listed are my favorite coils on the Outlaw.

I never used this coil on the Outlaw but I bet the brand new Tesoro 5 pin Epsilon 8x11 RSD DD coil will work great on the Outlaw as well. The reason I say this is because the 8x11 RSD coil works very well on my Vaquero and my Tejon in the Delta 4 pin coil design. I see no reason not to get the same results with the RSD coil design on the Outlaw.

I no longer have my Outlaw but I found it to be a fine detector. You will have a great time with it.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I no longer have my Outlaw but I found it to be a fine detector. You will have a great time with it.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Hi Bill, I'm kind of curious why you let go of the Outlaw? Did you favor another Tesoro over it?
Tony

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Hi Bill, I'm kind of curious why you let go of the Outlaw? Did you favor another Tesoro over it?
Tony

The Outlaw is a great little detector for all the reasons stated. I purchased a new Black Vaquero and a new Black Tejon. I myself prefer the Vaquero a hair more than the Outlaw only because of its depth capabilities that is why the Outlaw was traded in and no other reason.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the Depth difference between the two? Less than a inch?

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
What is the Depth difference between the two? Less than a inch?

The Vaquero adjusted correct for the ground your hunting in will be several inches deeper on average.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Outlaw does a good job with depth, if it is GB correctly. I'm finding it hard to believe that the V will go several inches deeper. Would like to see more info on this.

One note: If the Outlaw is equipped with the 12x10 DD, then several inches is doable. My Outlaw does horrible with this coil.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero has the H.O.T. circuitry the Outlaw does not.

The Vaquero is much deeper than the Outlaw, I have both with similar coils.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
My Outlaw does a good job with depth, if it is GB correctly. I'm finding it hard to believe that the V will go several inches deeper. Would like to see more info on this.

One note: If the Outlaw is equipped with the 12x10 DD, then several inches is doable. My Outlaw does horrible with this coil.

Your dealing with a 5 Pin verses 4 pin H.O.T. circuitry. Believe what you want to. The Vaquero with the ground balance set correctly or even 1/4 turn negative. And or super tuned will do exactly what I said on average with the same size coils on each detector compared apples to apples.

Don't get me wrong here the Outlaw is a fantastic detector and I enjoyed mine very much.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill it may be Terry Soloman's Outlaw is deeper than ours.
:occasion14:

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vaquero has the H.O.T. circuitry the Outlaw does not.

The Vaquero is much deeper than the Outlaw, I have both with similar coils.

One can super tune the Vaquero. Not sure if one can do that with the Outlaw. With super tuning one can get ungodly depths.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a Gold coin in this area a 1906 Five dollar Gold piece about 12 years ago. Also some other older coins here throughout the years.

Happy Hunting All,
Bill G

I've never found a gold coin yet. Do you remember what detector you found it with and the circumstances about the find? How deep? If it was located in nails etc?
Nice write-up.
Tony

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One can super tune the Vaquero. Not sure if one can do that with the Outlaw. With super tuning one can get ungodly depths.

On the Outlaw you can crank up the threshold and turn the GB a quarter or half turn and get more depth. But the Vaquero is deeper with no tricks. As I understand it, the HOT circuitry allows for a stronger transmit signal.

I believe when the Outlaw came out, the Tesoro rep gave an interview and said it isnt as deep as their Vaquero.

Here it is:

https://www.hollandsbrook.com/blog/an-interview-with-tesoro-on-the-new-outlaw-metal-detector/

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that's good information. I don't doubt that the V is deeper. I have a Corteś and LST and they both are deeper than the Outlaw. Where the Outlaw shines is in trash. I pulled two dimes out of a hole with a large nail right beside them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread