Question - 11" x 8" RSD coil

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! Quick question - I own 3 Tesoro detectors: The Cibola/Vaquero/Tejon. I just ordered the new 8" x 11" RSD coil. Would I benefit by sending, say, the new coil and my Tejon to Tesoro to have it "tuned" to work better with the Tejon, or should I be able to interchange the coil between the 3 machines with no issues, and get peak performance from each machine with the new coil? In other words - is there such a thing as "tuning" a coil to one particular detector for peak performance, or does it matter?

Thank you in advance for your input :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only machine you need tuned is the Cibola, because the other two you can manually ground balance. Good luck with the new coil! :occasion14:

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only machine you need tuned is the Cibola, because the other two you can manually ground balance. Good luck with the new coil! :occasion14:

Thank you for the fast reply Terry! I'm looking forward to some end of the year fun with this coil before the snow starts flying here in NE Wisconsin!

Perhaps I should send the Cibola and my 11x8/5.75 DD/5.75 concentric to Rusty over the winter and have them tuned to the Cibola. Come to think of it, I wonder why all the coils aren't tuned to the Cibola before they are shipped out new then? Isn't the Cibola the only unit these coils can work on that doesn't have a manual GB adjustment?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the fast reply Terry! I'm looking forward to some end of the year fun with this coil before the snow starts flying here in NE Wisconsin!

Perhaps I should send the Cibola and my 11x8/5.75 DD/5.75 concentric to Rusty over the winter and have them tuned to the Cibola. Come to think of it, I wonder why all the coils aren't tuned to the Cibola before they are shipped out new then? Isn't the Cibola the only unit these coils can work on that doesn't have a manual GB adjustment?

I believe that the Cibola gets tuned to the coil, not the coil to the Cibola. There's a small internal trimmer pot for ground balance that gets adjusted. You may want to put the coil on your Cibola, then see where the GB is with that coil and your soil. Sometimes the freq switch will get it close enough for a good balance. That freq switch not only changes frequency to lessen interference from other detectors, but will also shift the GB slightly positive or negative.

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that the Cibola gets tuned to the coil, not the coil to the Cibola. There's a small internal trimmer pot for ground balance that gets adjusted. You may want to put the coil on your Cibola, then see where the GB is with that coil and your soil. Sometimes the freq switch will get it close enough for a good balance. That freq switch not only changes frequency to lessen interference from other detectors, but will also shift the GB slightly positive or negative.

Great advice, i'll try that. Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can check/ set the gb on the Cibola by pressing the pinpoint button in and bobbing coil, just like you would on the vaquero. You may not need to adjust the internal pot unless it is way positive or negative with the RSD coil on. I do not have any problem with the Silver uMax going from the 8" concentric to the RSD coil.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might get lucky and find that in your soil it was off with the stock coil and the RSD actually is more balanced.
Mine came in pretty positive when I got it used. Figured if I was gonna chance going in I might as well go for broke and mod it lol.
Never hurts to just check and see.
Hopefully you get lucky!!!
Happy hunting!!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've swapped different coils on my umax detectors without sending them in and the performance was acceptable every time. Theoretically tuning to the coil may give the best possible results, but unless you're going to use one coil nearly all the time on a machine that may not be required. Only problem I've had was some chatter when using a 10X12 concentric on my DeLeon. My thinking is try it before sending it in - you may be satisfied with that.
luvsdux

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you send it to Tesoro the "tuning" has more variables than just the detector and coil......they will "tune" it for average ground mineralization.....which still may not be right for your soil if you have really high or really low mineralization. I recommend just using the new coil on the Vaquero or Tejon where you can adjust the GB yourself at each area you hunt. And the 11x8RSD is a great coil!

OP
OP
DeepDigs

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if you send it to Tesoro the "tuning" has more variables than just the detector and coil......they will "tune" it for average ground mineralization.....which still may not be right for your soil if you have really high or really low mineralization. I recommend just using the new coil on the Vaquero or Tejon where you can adjust the GB yourself at each area you hunt. And the 11x8RSD is a great coil!

Sounds like great advice! Can't wait to get it in and give it a go! Think I'm about ready to sell the Cibola - great detector but really can't justify keeping it when I already have the Vaquero and Tejon.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like great advice! Can't wait to get it in and give it a go! Think I'm about ready to sell the Cibola - great detector but really can't justify keeping it when I already have the Vaquero and Tejon.

Always nice to have a spare if you take someone with you. ^_^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread