Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have five questions.

The Tejon has an alternate discrimination setting, for the Tejon owners, how often is this used or payed attention to while hunting junky or even moderately junky areas. All the time or a percentage of the time?
Would I be safe to say most are having one discrimination set at least past nail or steel bottle cap so lets say foil vs a setting to a nickel so as to determine maybe small gold jewelry is not missed. Does setting at pull tab discriminate out large gold rings or still hits it?? Where does that normal discriminate out? What is the difference between screw cap and steele cap, as the discrimination diagram has steel cap below small foil where scap (screw cap) almost maxed on the Tejon?

Not sure where I got this chart but does this relate to the Tesoro ED180 circuitry discrimination?

Attachments

• descrimination_chart.jpg
    descrimination_chart.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the Tejon & Vaquero book, you may find this useful: http://metaldetectings.com/e107_files/public/tesoro_tejon_tips_ii.pdf

BTW, some things may not disc out where you expect them to on the Tejon, depending on which coil you're using. Steel caps will usually disc out below nickel with a concentric coil, but often not 'till around zinc, with a DD. Screw caps are aluminum, and often disc out much higher; close to max, if at all.

I usually run my Tejon around the end of foil in disc1 and about the end of zinc in disc2. If it sounds nice and not like aluminum in disc1, I hope for a nickel or better. Switch to disc2 and check for copper or better. Everyone has their own way...

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the Tejon & Vaquero book, you may find this useful: http://metaldetectings.com/e107_files/public/tesoro_tejon_tips_ii.pdf

BTW, some things may not disc out where you expect them to on the Tejon, depending on which coil you're using. Steel caps will usually disc out below nickel with a concentric coil, but often not 'till around zinc, with a DD. Screw caps are aluminum, and often disc out much higher; close to max, if at all.

I usually run my Tejon around the end of foil in disc1 and about the end of zinc in disc2. If it sounds nice and not like aluminum in disc1, I hope for a nickel or better. Switch to disc2 and check for copper or better. Everyone has their own way...

Thanks for the great advise, now that you mentioned it I do see these noticeable differences from my smaller concentric to the DD on the Vaq.

Much appreciated.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running my primary right before foil and the alt. right past pull tab. With the 5.75 concentric. I dig almost all good signals after number 2 disc. and all before and some at tab. The ones at tab are always tabs.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
The alternate disc works even better to me when the knobs are matched to each other to drop targets at the exact same point as each other on the target dial. I am not saying run them in the same spot let me explain.

It took me a while and it was a little tedious to do on my Tejon. What I did is I loosened the set screws on the knobs and re set them both to match exact or drop a USA nickel right on the nickel mark this also drops all the other targets up the range into the correct background dial markings as well. Now both disc circuits are spot on with each other. Before when the Tejon was brand new the knobs were off a little from each other between the disc circuits at were they acutely dropped specific targets between the two on the background dial markings. You don't have to do this but I think it helps with accuracy in the big picture. I have done this on every Tesoro I have ever owned with great results.

Detect Safe, 8-)
Bill G

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Pinenut, I forgot to mention great read, and to add to what you, JoeDirty and Bill G mentioned to each there own as all techniques are good.

Without getting to technical but I know we might need to but have you used the Tips and Tricks here on the Tejon on the slight discrimination settings noted on page 13 and do you use also the audio signals on these targets with respect to detector discrimination in combination with the Headphone audio volume detents adjustments for faint signals. How accurate are you and others out there out of a scale out of say 1 to 10 chances for say good targets you dig that you are actually pulling out of the ground that good target say a nickel or a piece of gold jewerly, a clad dime or quarter for the settings around the nickel, above iron and before bottle cap settings as mentioned. Just curious that's all, as it sounds like this would always be a learning curve for everyone as well always fine tuning your machine to what works best for you over time, and there is never a right answer...but I imagine on normal soil conditions there is always a golden rule for adjustments that one could follow even if everyone has differing suggestions?

I realize that Ground and Sensitivity Adjustments are crucial along with what is in the ground and the coil types and sizes can differ but does anyone have anything for the Tejon as shown for the Vaquero to what you and others are mentioning on the prim and alt discrimination settings that you have been using on the Tejon?

Also as I have mentioned I have noticed the DD, and 5.75 can change my discrimination settings and will take time to write these noticeable changes down on paper AND best to bring along with me, and have found some interesting settings that others have made on there Vaquero more specifically. If anyone one wants to share screen shots on there Tejon feel free to post.

VAQ Card.JPG

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Thanks Pinenut, I forgot to mention great read, and to add to what you, JoeDirty and Bill G mentioned to each there own as all techniques are good.

Without getting to technical but I know we might need to but have you used the Tips and Tricks here on the Tejon on the slight discrimination settings noted on page 13 and do you use also the audio signals on these targets with respect to detector discrimination in combination with the Headphone audio volume detents adjustments for faint signals. How accurate are you and others out there out of a scale out of say 1 to 10 chances for say good targets you dig that you are actually pulling out of the ground that good target say a nickel or a piece of gold jewerly, a clad dime or quarter for the settings around the nickel, above iron and before bottle cap settings as mentioned. Just curious that's all, as it sounds like this would always be a learning curve for everyone as well always fine tuning your machine to what works best for you over time, and there is never a right answer...but I imagine on normal soil conditions there is always a golden rule for adjustments that one could follow even if everyone has differing suggestions?

I realize that Ground and Sensitivity Adjustments are crucial along with what is in the ground and the coil types and sizes can differ but does anyone have anything for the Tejon as shown for the Vaquero to what you and others are mentioning on the prim and alt discrimination settings that you have been using on the Tejon?

Also as I have mentioned I have noticed the DD, and 5.75 can change my discrimination settings and will take time to write these noticeable changes down on paper AND best to bring along with me, and have found some interesting settings that others have made on there Vaquero more specifically. If anyone one wants to share screen shots on there Tejon feel free to post.

View attachment 1386247

As I look at your knob and where the targets drop you will see there dropping before the dial markings for that item. That is why I calibrate my disc knob on Tesoro units to drop a USA nickel right at the nickel mark as mentioned before. Then all the other targets will fall in line on the background of the dial indicator. Then your nickel will drop at the nickel mark your pull tab will know drop at the pull tab mark and so on. In your dial pic see how your nickel drops before nickel and your tabs before tab. I suppose if one knows exactly were the items drop as you do it is does not matter all that much. Again I like my disc knobs to match up exact and that is why I set (recalibrate) my disc knob to be exact with the background dial. (For me this really seems to helps me with honing in on nickels and dealing with certain tabs). The funny thing is Rusty at Tesoro and me were having a laugh about this exact subject a while back and he said I am not the only one out there that matches there disc knob up exactly to the markings.

Anyway nice information and a lot of detail.

Thanks,
Bill G

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also keep in mind the Tejon is a super sensitive machine, and you can use too much sensitivity very easily. You'll decrease the Tejon's very impressive depth by using too high a sensitivity setting. It's something you need to experiment with in your soils. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread