ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey gang. Been spending a lovely weekend honeymooning with the Silver uMax. My son and I found a bunch of clad, and overall I have a good feeling about the machine. I am curious though, the machine gives the ability to discriminate out foil, and tabs, both aluminum. I have noticed though that on a target with discrimination all the way up (I would assume a quarter or larger coin) I still pick up smashed soda cans. Do soda cans fall outside of discrimination range? It was pretty annoying, I thought we had something good and my son digs a 10" hole just to find a smashed can (twice).

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they won't discriminate out. But they do sound big and round kind of, compared to a quarter.
If you get in the habit of raising your coil you can get a better idea of depth.
If your still getting a signal and your coil is a foot in the air it's probably a can.
Hope it helps, I'm far from an expert.

Dig It All

Noah

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smashed cans are too big...

...and big targets are harder to disc out, especially the aluminum cans... The steel ones may disc out, depending on how big, how rusty and where disc is set.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they won't discriminate out. But they do sound big and round kind of, compared to a quarter.
If you get in the habit of raising your coil you can get a better idea of depth.
If your still getting a signal and your coil is a foot in the air it's probably a can.
Hope it helps, I'm far from an expert.

Dig It All

Noah

You got it.

Detectors work by measuring the change in the rf field they produce. While aluminum isn't that good of a conductor, a large piece of aluminum will be seen as the same conductivity as a much smaller silver quarter.

Key is to verify your detector by seeing how deep you can see a quarter or silver dollar. If the detector is still seeing a small piece of silver a foot deep, move on...

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will be able to hear the difference between coins, nails, Bobby pins, and cans after about twenty hours of really listening to your machine.

I still find it pretty hard to hear the difference between a nail and a Bobby pin, though nails sound a little sharper when swept from certain angles.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve1357 and Electricfrontporch are right on.

I've dug my share of squashed soda cans over the years and will continue to dig them for good reason.
One day at a demo property I had just dug two, flattened soda cans and was about to dig what I thought was going to be my third. . . that third soda can turned out to be a Silver Peace Dollar.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug quite a few over the years. What puzzles me is many of them were obviously intentionally buried when it would have been easier to walk a few yards and deposit them in the garbage. Not really meaning to rant here, but you'd think we'd never detect the tab that's supposed to stay on the drink can, either.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread