Mojave and the new 7" concentric coil - How do you like them ?

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nickels too...

I like my tejon, I just need some good headphones I guess. I can't get away from trash. It just hits real hard on foil. So i can't walk past it without digging it. It makes trash sound like a million dollar gold piece.

Tejons seem to "hit hardest" on the mid conductor range. Nickels practically jump out of the ground with the Tejon, and yeah; foil and tabs do too... Thing is, gold is in that same range..not that I've found any with mine yet...

For headphones, have a look at the Killer b's and Sunray Gold. I like the way the Kb's sound, and they're comfortable on my cranium. Sunray's should be about the same as they're made by the same guy, with most of the same bits. My only complaint about the Killer b's, is that cord failure seems relatively common. Mine are in for repair right now...and I miss 'em. They do have a lifetime warranty, though. :happy3:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Tesoro would produce a new detector like the Tejon or Vaquero with an adjustable audio tone break at an affordable price I would be super elated.

A detector like that would blow the competition away. All it would take would be combining features of detectors that Tesoro has already produced.

They already have that detector 90% or more complete if they use the same housings, rods, search coils etc. All they have to do is some tweaking and add a knob.

Right now I'm thrilled with what Tesoro has done with the Mojave. I own both the Mojave and AT Pro. I laid some nails and coins out on the ground and tested both detectors against one another. In that test the Mojave blew the AT Pro out of the water, but the Mojave can't go into the water.

After doing that test there's noway that I'd ever reach for the AT Pro to detect on dry land. Period

In other words, for water use the AT Pro would be my pick, but on dry land the Mojave is king. If you don't water detect you're doing yourself a disfavor owning a AT Pro.

tabman

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If Tesoro would produce a new detector like the Tejon or Vaquero with an adjustable audio tone break at an affordable price I would be super elated.

A detector like that would blow the competition away. All it would take would be combining features of detectors that Tesoro has already produced.

They already have that detector 90% or more complete if they use the same housings, rods, search coils etc. All they have to do is some tweaking and add a knob.

Right now I'm thrilled with what Tesoro has done with the Mojave. I own both the Mojave and AT Pro. I laid some nails and coins out on the ground and tested both detectors against one another. In that test the Mojave blew the AT Pro out of the water, but the Mojave can't go into the water.

After doing that test there's noway that I'd ever reach for the AT Pro to detect on dry land. Period

In other words, for water use the AT Pro would be my pick, but on dry land the Mojave is king. If you don't water detect you're doing yourself a disfavor owning a AT Pro.

tabman

Oh yea...the Garrett guys are gonna love this. :laughing7:
Got to go pop some popcorn...

Attachments

• can-of-worms.jpg
    can-of-worms.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 99
  • EbnwVOn.png
    EbnwVOn.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, digger27.................but it's the truth.

tabman

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Can't argue with success...or can you?
Something tells me a few are gonna try. :argue:

Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector

Sku: 14-1140460

19 Review(S)

Retail: $649.95

Was: $594.95
On Sale: $552.46

Tesoro Mojave Metal Detector

Sku: 1534-MOJAVE

Retail: $270.00

Now Only: $251.10

Love wintertime threads!

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

tabman

Indeed Tabman, what a detector that would be... I would prefer that tone break on something like the Tejon with duel disc, that way you set disc one to eliminate the lower conductives you don't want to hear, and use the disc two knob (while in the tone break mode setting) to set where the tone break is. If this machine had that feature (perhaps also with a freq shift switch), with the depth of the Tejon, including depth at high disc setting, and use a ten turn GB knob to address the GB sensitivity issues of the Tejon... why, I'd pay big bucks for that one!

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure they are regulated by the GOV what they can do so maybe they are at their limits.

I want a machine that I haven't already used - or have. Another entry level machine isn't going to cut it for me anymore. Looking at the new Minelab 1000, I'm thinking maybe we have put as much lipstick on the VLF pig as her lips will handle. Maybe the manufacturers are just out of ideas, and keep presenting the same technology Mr. Gifford and Mr. Garrett was using in the 1980s, in "new" and "exciting" ways. I suppose that's why we just get re-hashed "New Releases" every couple of years. No real difference in depth or discrimination, just guys arguing this one is better than that one.:skullflag:

I want something

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't argue with success...or can you?
Something tells me a few are gonna try. :argue:

Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector

Sku: 14-1140460

19 Review(S)

Retail: $649.95

Was: $594.95
On Sale: $552.46

Tesoro Mojave Metal Detector

Sku: 1534-MOJAVE

Retail: $270.00

Now Only: $251.10

Love wintertime threads!

I had just got my F75 back from being upgraded. It is deeper than the Vaquero.

But that is in all metal.

If I run discrimination, the Vaquero super tuned is quieter and deeper hitting on a buried silver quarter.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to hear this always wanted to see how the Vaquero compared to the F75 being super tuned mode that works for me.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fwiw
Came across a new "Mohave" listing on ebay.

Somebody has one still in stock I guess.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mojave here - first impressions..

..just picked up from the post office and put it together. Looks nice.

First impressions: airtests a nickel at about 7" with disc set to make a bottlecap start to break (right past "i" in iron), sensitivity nearly all the way up (at 3:00; just into red zone) and GB switched to low. Seems pretty good on the airtest.

Quickly comparing it to my Outlaw (8" donut), Mojave does not seem to seperate the nickel from the bottlecap quite as well as the Outlaw does, and I was also setting the Outlaw similarly; bottlecap just starting to break up, sensitivity just at the red, ground balance where I last used it (probably a bit more negative than Mojave). After setting the disc where I did, I held both cap and nickel in my hand about 1" apart, flats toward the coil, and swung both back & forth listening...

Outlaw still seems to unmask better than the Mojave. Please realize, my tests are not scientific, merely my opinions.

So...that got me curious and I tried a Bandido II μMAX (5.75 coil)... Also setting it so a bottlecap just starts to break (about #2 on it), sensitivity just into red, and GB where I last used it (again, probably a bit negative). Bandido also spots the nickel better than Mojave did, and it gave about the same depth as the Outlaw with the 8" coil on that nickel; roughly 8".

Anyway, that's my first impression, and about what I was expecting... Mojave with ED180 still didn't seem quite as good (with bottlecaps) as my two favorite Tesoros. This was hardly a scientific test; just my first, fresh out of the box comparison.

I'll post more impressions and comparisons when I can do a field test. Everything around here has slush and mud, so it'll be a few days...

IMG_0500.JPG

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, my Mojave much hotter than that. I just set mine the same way you said you did and mine airtests a nickel to 9in. It is true that Tesoros, some can be hotter than others but that's almost 2 in. Do you have a lot of EMI in your house?

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no EMI problems...

Wow, my Mojave much hotter than that. I just set mine the same way you said you did and mine airtests a nickel to 9in. It is true that Tesoros, some can be hotter than others but that's almost 2 in. Do you have a lot of EMI in your house?

Probably a bit of EMI, but not enough to make it unstable with sensitivity all the way up. It airtests alright, but 2" is quite a difference. I wonder if the first few through Rusty were hand picked. Maybe I should have grabbed one of them when I had the chance...
This one seems OK, but not a screamer.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two available on Amazon.
Seller : Texas premium detectors
Price : $251.10 includes free 2 day prime shipping to prime members.
Mine arrives Saturday

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..just picked up from the post office and put it together. Looks nice.

First impressions: airtests a nickel at about 7" with disc set to make a bottlecap start to break (right past "i" in iron), sensitivity nearly all the way up (at 3:00; just into red zone) and GB switched to low. Seems pretty good on the airtest.

Quickly comparing it to my Outlaw (8" donut), Mojave does not seem to seperate the nickel from the bottlecap quite as well as the Outlaw does, and I was also setting the Outlaw similarly; bottlecap just starting to break up, sensitivity just at the red, ground balance where I last used it (probably a bit more negative than Mojave). After setting the disc where I did, I held both cap and nickel in my hand about 1" apart, flats toward the coil, and swung both back & forth listening...

Outlaw still seems to unmask better than the Mojave. Please realize, my tests are not scientific, merely my opinions.

So...that got me curious and I tried a Bandido II μMAX (5.75 coil)... Also setting it so a bottlecap just starts to break (about #2 on it), sensitivity just into red, and GB where I last used it (again, probably a bit negative). Bandido also spots the nickel better than Mojave did, and it gave about the same depth as the Outlaw with the 8" coil on that nickel; roughly 8".

Anyway, that's my first impression, and about what I was expecting... Mojave with ED180 still didn't seem quite as good (with bottlecaps) as my two favorite Tesoros. This was hardly a scientific test; just my first, fresh out of the box comparison.

I'll post more impressions and comparisons when I can do a field test. Everything around here has slush and mud, so it'll be a few days...

View attachment 1416198

Outlaw and bandido will definitely separate targets better. They are ed120 but not only that it's spread in a way that you can disc out a dime but still hit a quarter and silver. Also can disc out a quarter and dime and still get silver.
It's one of my favorite characteristics of those two models. :-)

I have a feeling that the new 7" from the Mojave and my outlaw or bandido are going to become great friends :-)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread