Tejon sensitivity control

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the sensitivity control is inoperative in all metal mode on a Tejon just as it is in other Tesoro models.

I can't wrap my head around the idea. I overlooked no sensitivity control in all metal on my Vaquero, super tune it and blast away. But no sensitivity control on your top of the line machine to be used by gold and relic hunters?

Having a sensitivity control in one mode but not the other conflicts my logic. Why not both or neither?

The manual isn't that thorough.

Yes I'm looking at a Tejon, but need to see the advantage of no sensitivity control in all metal yet needing the sensitivity control in disc mode.

Thanks to all!

Steve

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may be off base here, but over the years it's my understanding that pretty much all (not just Tesoros) are at full sensitivity (only, no adjustment) in all metal mode. Not sure about the technical for this, but I believe one reason is to enhance the pinpointing for maximum depth. Considering that the sensitivity is adjustable in disc. mode, and wondering why anyone would want less sensitivity in all metal, I really don't see why one would consider this a problem.
luvsdux

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Fisher F75 and F5 I can adjust the sensitivity in all modes as hot and chatty as I want it or as quiet as I want it.

How do you know your Tesoro all metal is running at full sensitivity? Wouldn't the setting change based on your soil?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen this come up several times and the answer was full bore (only) in all metal. I can only speak to my experience which is only accurate for the machines I've played with which are mostly Tesoros. As to less with sensitivity turned down in all metal, not on the air tests I've done. The setting at the detector wouldn't change no matter what the soil, however the performance may well vary.
luvsdux

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me .
I would want full sensitivity in all metal mode. Unless I were only wanting Iron Horse Shoes , AX heads or Larger Iron. BUT???

My 3 cents

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I run the Sensitivity as high as I can 'I my conditions' 7-or 8'. Keep the Main channel on foil & the other around 'Tab'.

I just leave the sensitivity where it was while pinpointing or using all metal as a "Boost" type mode detecting in high brush , Ivy & such.

I use my tejon for Relic Hunting 99% of the time.

I guess repeated Ground balancing would help with changing Soils.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen this come up several times and the answer was full bore (only) in all metal. I can only speak to my experience which is only accurate for the machines I've played with which are mostly Tesoros. As to less with sensitivity turned down in all metal, not on the air tests I've done. The setting at the detector wouldn't change no matter what the soil, however the performance may well vary.
luvsdux

Thank you sir.

Simple curiosity on my part, being an amateur engineer, having stayed at a Holiday Inn....

I found a Bandido II uMax schematic online, along with some others, fascinating stuff.

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

The easiest way to set your Sensitivity is to turn it up until the machine starts to chatter. When the machine chatters, turn the Sensitivity control back until the chatter just goes away. This will give you the maximum sensitivity without any excess noise. If you can turn your Sensitivity control wide open without chatter, leave it there. Your machine will be operating at its maximum power capabilities.

Unfortunately Jack Gifford is gone, but I was curious what his thinking was allowing the user to adjust sensitivity when hunting in disc mode but not when hunting in all metal. My thought is, since the sensitivity is fixed in all metal, is the all metal mode running at a lower "maximum" so that the detector will run quiet in any part of the country? Kinda like a Compadre, I'm sure the sensitivity is set to run quiet anywhere....

Then I thought maybe there is some "automatic" stuff going on in all metal mode? Or didn't want to have two sensitivity controls on faceplate? Though they have ganged potentiometers on one shaft that could have been used.

I came from Fisher boxes, my Vaquero blows away the F75 in disc mode, but the F75 wins easily in all metal, I would think all metal would be deeper than disc. I just got a new Outlaw, excited to run no motion all metal only to find it also is fixed sensitivity. The Outlaw having ED120 is an issue for me if I'm forced to run disc to get maximum depth, square nails and other items tells me a lot about a site, the Outlaw never sees them. The Tejon having ED180 should see them I guess....

I brought it up a year ago and moved on....
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ensitivity-setting-all-metal-inoperative.html

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my understanding and practice, the turn up (in disc) till the detector chatters or not was the best way to get the maximum, usable sensitivity as you described. Other than the fact that switching to all metal gives a better signal on weak hits than disc I can't think of a way to really measure it. That said, my Silver Sabre µmax will crackle and barely pickup a chrome plated socket or similar tool when in disc, but sounds off loud and clear when the pinpoint button (all metal mode)is pressed. I seldom have the patience to hunt in all metal due to the trashy areas I usually hunt so I only occasionally us it as mentioned above or rarely for trying to trace a target to get an idea of size. For those uses I wouldn't turn it down if I could. For what it's worth, holding down the pinpoint button as you swing the coil on preset ground detectors with a threshold hum is a pain as the threshold often varies a fair bit as the ground under the coil changes from swing to swing. However, you will quickly know whether that detector is set a bit positive or negative for the soil your covering.
luvsdux

luvsdux

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well
My hair hurts now.

The sensitivity control in Silver umax works in both modes but not in the Outlaw.

So it aint a 4 pin or 5 pin thingy.

Is it an ED120 or ED180 thingy?

Or model, year of production?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well
My hair hurts now.

The sensitivity control in Silver umax works in both modes but not in the Outlaw.

So it aint a 4 pin or 5 pin thingy.

Is it an ED120 or ED180 thingy?

Or model, year of production?

Now my hair hurts too, lol.
luvsdux

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any new ideas why all metal sensitivity is fixed?

I still can't accept it is preset at maximum.

Next question is, has anyone done a mod? Emailing Pentechnic failed....
:BangHead:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know people, the RIGHT answer is a very SIMPLE phone call away. :tongue3:

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know people, the RIGHT answer is a very SIMPLE phone call away. :tongue3:

Allan said he hears the question most often from Tejon users, but as with Rusty also, it is what it is.....

Who's in Tesoro engineering, I'll ask for them next time.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vince Gifford :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread