doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need help here deciding, Im not sure what to do? Im looking for a goto machine between the Compadre and Mojave.

I know there is no sensitivity setting on the Compadre, but it is sensitive to objects.

Looking at my soil area I don't have an issue with high mineralization, actually my soil is quit basic more salt, does that count for high or lower mineralization, I am thinking low. I have more like bentonite clay like soil. Darker more glaysolic like soil in most areas but could be saline and very clumpy but low in iron, hard to dig. I have been focusing on the Compadre instead of the Mojave.

Reason, all I need is a very basic machine, one like the Compadre 8" donut, vs the 6", or the 7" Mojave. I have a HOT Vaq that I have a 11x8 and 6" CC, so I am leaning towards the 8" to compliment the coils I have, looking for more depth then seperation on the Compadre here vs the Mojave 7". Because the Mojave is in the Epsilon family, I don't believe sometime soon I would be needing another Tesoro down the line soon :laughing7:where I could use the stock Mojave somewhere else? Maybe I am kidding myself???

Here is my reasoning. I believe going with the Compadre 8" at $210 CAN vs the Mojave 7" at $345 will suit me just fine. This will get me a lifetime warranty and free shipping, not sure $135 warrants what I need to be put into a likely still great machine of the Mojave. Only thing is though that 8" donut won't be able to come off unless I decide to mod it down the road?I will usually keep the 6" 80% of the time on my Vaq for the great part before I need to switch to that deeper coil. Alos for the Compadre not sure I can use it on any other Epsilon Tesoro machine if I decide to get one later.

For all the great things the Mojave has to offer I am leaning towards the Compadre for my goto next detector. I hear and see to many people on the Vaq 6" & Compadre 8" as great brothers...even on old posts were talked as a great duo, but what about now, some are selling their Compadre because they have the Mojave, but what about normal soil, even better is the Low setting where this may work better for me and is the low setting like the Compadre then at all?? What would make a good brother for my Vaquero?

Can someone please elaborate on this low setting on the Mojave as it may help me decide and work for me then vs the Compadre. Does the Compadre itself be like low sensitivity that of the Mojave? I need advise to close the decision on my goto, would the coil on the 7" Mojave for price and possibly the sensitivity and low mineral setting to warrant the $135 difference of that of the Compadre, If there is a big differene, I don't have a problem going the route of the Mojave. And I would still likely purchase another new release Tesoro if they were to come out with one as well.

Thanks for listening.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they are both good machines for the niche they are designed for. However, the adjustable sensitivity, hi/lo ground switch and the interchangeable coil options on the Mojave make it by far the better choice in my opinion. You may not think you need the ground option, but it's there when the need arises.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone done gold resting on the Mojave to see if it's as great as the compadre on small gold?
Haven't heard much

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I will be getting one soon.
My conditions here are somewhat unique so I will enjoy seeing what it can do.
Can it match the hyper sensitivity of my Compadre, find jewelry and coins as easily and unmask targets as well in my devil dirt?
And can it do all of this not just shallow but a bit deeper...time will tell.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a Vaquero, you do NOT need a Mojave. Get the Compadre. :icon_thumright:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have a Compadre, bored with the Vaq, getting a Mojave.
No real logical reason...I just want to.
Something different to try and compare to the Compadre for fun if nothing else.
Don't need both, eventually one might take a hike but we will see.
My prime hunting tool is a Fisher and that is not changing anytime soon.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im with Terry, someone has to convince me more to get the Mojave. The VAQ is a good complimentary before a newer release comes out for what I need to pay if forward for a newer machine, sorry guys, prove me different.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compadre is sweet. I love mine.Kinda wish i would have got the 8 inch coil, but I always want what I don't have! I have found some stuff with it and it always seems to surprise me with the minute pieces of metal it finds. Specks of metal.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8" co.oadre was my first. And still one of my favorites. Can't beat the silver.Icity and the function

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Im with Terry, someone has to convince me more to get the Mojave. The VAQ is a good complimentary before a newer release comes out for what I need to pay if forward for a newer machine, sorry guys, prove me different.

The Vaq is great, I used mine as my first, best only detector for hundreds of hours, paid for itself many times over and found a ton, after I bought others I put down my F2 and Compadre and still pulled it out whenever I needed to get deep in good western soil.
But I found I have an affinity for the Fishers, I use both the tones and the screen data with shocking success and after I got the F70 I had the major depth and everything else I needed so the Tesoros came out as a change of pace fun thing more often then not.
If I didn't have the success I have had at depth here in my very challenging dirt with the F70 I would never even entertain the thought of getting rid of the Vaq.
Plus the Vaq was a high tone and I found out I like the lower tones better but I am too lazy and cheap to send it back and change it to the low tone since it wasn't getting much use.

If you have a Vaq the Mojave is a simpler tool with a bit less abilities in some areas so you can't really logically compare them and not actually needed all that much if you own a Vaq except for maybe that double beep thing next to iron that the Compadre can do so effortlessly that I never could duplicate close to the same with my Vaq.
I hope the Mojave can do this task just as well.
If the choice is between a Compadre and a Mojave the Compadre still has great value pound for pound but the supposedly little more juice and coil switching ability of the Mojave might have some advantages for a few hunters.
The cool black color doesn't matter performance wise but I think it is neat.

It is all about logic...and the site conditions and different dirt we all hunt in plus choosing tools that just make the hobby fun for us and we are all different in that regard.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I much prefer Mojave away from a manicured park..

I think they are both good machines for the niche they are designed for. However, the adjustable sensitivity, hi/lo ground switch and the interchangeable coil options on the Mojave make it by far the better choice in my opinion. You may not think you need the ground option, but it's there when the need arises.
luvsdux

That's it. When you move into an area with gravel and tiny hot rocks all over, when those black rainclouds move in overhead... Mojave can still handle it, but I'd probably put a Compadre back in the car. Besides, the Mojave does run a fair bit deeper than an 8" Compadre.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
That's it. When you move into an area with gravel and tiny hot rocks all over, when those black rainclouds move in overhead... Mojave can still handle it, but I'd probably put a Compadre back in the car. Besides, the Mojave does run a fair bit deeper than an 8" Compadre.

Ok pinenut, quick question for you... how does the Mojave handle the dark clouds better than a Compadre? I mean to say, the Mojave is not anymore water resistant than the Compadre, is it?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok pinenut, quick question for you... how does the Mojave handle the dark clouds better than a Compadre? I mean to say, the Mojave is not anymore water resistant than the Compadre, is it?

Just passing by...

I assume he meant electrical interference from storms....

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just passing by...

I assume he meant electrical interference from storms....

Meaning the "high" setting on the gb will help? That's pretty interesting. Although I don't think I want to be waiving around anything metal during THAT kind of electrical interference!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meaning the "high" setting on the gb will help? That's pretty interesting. Although I don't think I want to be waiving around anything metal during THAT kind of electrical interference!

No, that the Mojave has a sensitivity adjustment you can turn down the chatter from approaching storm while with the Compadre you go home. These are VLF machines, very susceptible to static. Imagine your AM car radio as the storm approaches, you can hear storms hundreds of miles away.....

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, that the Mojave has a sensitivity adjustment you can turn down the chatter from approaching storm while with the Compadre you go home. These are VLF machines, very susceptible to static. Imagine your AM car radio as the storm approaches, you can hear storms hundreds of miles away.....

Ok, got it. That makes sense to turn down sensitivity. So, you get to swing the machine a few more minutes (vs. the Compadre), until the lightning gets too close.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, got it. That makes sense to turn down sensitivity. So, you get to swing the machine a few more minutes (vs. the Compadre), until the lightning gets too close.

I haven't experienced it, Pinenut will have to weigh in with his experiences.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That was why; the first week out with my Mojave was in between storms, and I had to get out of the house and go detecting... Dark clouds blowing through and the Mojave got chirpy. Only thing I could do was turn down sensitivity to around 3, then it was usable. Couldn't have done that with a Compadre. BTW - it started to rain a few minutes later and I ended up going home anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So....besides EMI, the Compadre is pretty darn sensitive then, that's a good thing.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed that cloudy overcast days seem to cause more EMI issues than on clear days. I think the EMI is bouncing off the clouds and reflecting back to earth.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread