Coils with more depth

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are exceptions to every accepted fact, with that in mind also consider the Mojave does not have an adjustable ground balance so you can tune each coil for peak performance

with that all said, a good rule of thumb is the depth is pretty close to the size of the TX coil

also larger coils lose depth on smaller objects

widescan coils are built different, a 11x8 widescan is basically a 11x4 tx coil and a 11x4 rx coil side by side

the 9x8 concentric is like a 9" tx coil with a 4" inner rx coil

the best tutorial is Garrett's
Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

The Mojave comes with the 7" concentric. If you want the most depth from what you listed, you could try the 11x8. I had the 8" donut on my Silver and putting the 11x8 added a couple of inches.

I'd ask myself, do you want to spend $150 US on a coil to add a couple of inches? Whatever you do to the Mojave, it will never be as deep as a Cibola, Vaquero, or Tejon.
jmho

edit: I find it fascination one major company says detectors work by detecting and analyzing interruptions of the field created between the tx and rx coils, while another major company says the target radiates it's own signal from the original transmit signal and that is what the rx coil picks up.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve's right about not being able to properly tune a coil to your Mojave. In theory though, the largest concentrics will show the greatest depth, in mild soil. I happen to like the 8" donut better than the 9x8 concentric, but both have similar depth, and may work well on your Mojave (they're not too big). I haven't done any coil swapping on my Mojave yet, so not sure.

If you want more depth from a Mojave, make sure you can use a bigger coil in your soil, before you spend the money. You'll probably do OK if the soil is mild, but may not be able to set the ground balance with a big coil, if your soil is too highly mineralized.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried the 8" concentric on mine.
Air tests a little better but in the test garden it wasn't any better than the 7",

Noah

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For now I'm sticking with the 7".
Light as the 5.75 but a little more coverage.
Have other machines with many other coils, but when I get bored I'll throw some others on there.
Good info guys!!!

OP
OP
R

Rejean

Greenie
Feb 13, 2016
Montreal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your reply..... I learn everyday because of you guys....
Very interresting article steve1357, thanks you very much for the link. Really appreciated !!
HH
Rejean, Montreal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread