shovel question...

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster, silver u max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi all since i havent dug any place except my own yrd... 3 holes.and yes im NOT perfect yet..... perfect takes practice;];];] i was wondering would this be acceptable for a shovel.... please watch to the end ... i would like to think this would serve better then a spade or wide faced shovel....i have a messed up right knee due to an ACL REPLACEMENT well i cant kneel down due to where they put the screws for the new ligaments .. sooo i have to bend over...this is why i was perfering this tool to dig with... i do have a hand digger.. but if that sucker is deeper then what i can reach standing up ... id have the shovel to put it out;];]] what are your thought??? any suggestions? thank you ;];];]

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good ones are expensive..

If you want one that'll last a long, long time.. Take a look at the "Lesche" branded shovels sold by most detector dealers and also:

https://www.predatortools.com

Expensive, but you can pry up small rocks and cut through roots with some of 'em. Lesser shovels may bend and break.
These are made for abusive detectorists.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just don't ever take a shovel into a park. It's a great way to get detectorists banned there.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just don't ever take a shovel into a park. It's a great way to get detectorists banned there.

I agree.. Many parks don't like you digging with a small hand digger, let alone a bigger shovel.
I actually had to give a demonstration of my ability to "leave no trace" of my digging, before I was allowed to continue at one park. Shovels are for out in the sticks, or when you're allowed to use 'em on private property. They're a no-go for parks.

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok so.... what can i use? i cant kneel due to my ACL ..if whatever is in a hole..... thats 6 or more inches... it ought to be damm interesting to see me with my head in the hole after i went face first ...lolololol ..can i take a hand digger and put a long handle on it instead???..to me it still digs a hole... no matter what it is...i dont understand what the big deal is... its all comes down to SIZE of the digger tool...??? it kinda reminds me of those guns .... guns dont kill.... the ppl behind them do... regardless its still a gun...just like its still a digging tool...right??

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use the shovel in other places..

Patty, if you can avoid detecting public parks, maybe you can use the shovel.. You could try detecting somewhere nobody is watching. I usually do empty campground areas. Public parks are a little too public.
..Or, find that cute, young guy to dig for you. I'd probably volunteer, but I'm clear across the country. :sunny:

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok so ABSOLUTELY no park digging right? but i can dig in the woods and ppls yrd with permission..so mind you thats where all the coins will be due to that is where all the yrly activies are going on... fairs bands ice skating ball games mud runs horse shows ..livestock shows.. family reuions ..go cart competions.. fire work shows. ok so what about school yrs ? is that out too? cause that pubic property also. im NOT trying to be difficult .. but you see u tube videos of ppl detecting in parks all the time..if its a BIG NO NO.. how can they get away with it and put it out for the world to see and identify them? ok instead of teling me where NOT to dig .. tell me where i CAN dig;];];];];];]

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok so ABSOLUTELY no park digging right? but i can dig in the woods and ppls yrd with permission..

I wouldn't - not with a shovel, anyway.

Best way is to learn "coin popping" with a probe, and not have to dig at all. I use a standard Lesche hand tool and cut "plugs", 'cause I haven't learned coin popping. I also use kneepads and drop down to dig nearly every target in a park, which you may not be able to do. For shallow targets not in manicured lawns, I can often uncover targets by shoving dirt aside with my shoe.. Only works in soft dirt.

It's really up to you and any park officials, as to what you can get away with.. You may want to ask the parks people and go from there.

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey pinenut i DEEPLY appreciate your valued option... it just seems wacked to me is all with the videos they have out ..digging in prks.. but im sure you are right as your much more seasoned and everyone else here to ...coin popping? hmmm interesting,,,, new 1 to me... i just wish I COULD KNEEL i even tried the 1 knee bend with my bad one bent... wasnt strong enough to handle "pulling me up" so my other knee could get under me... well .. someone suggested "leg weights" with velcro strapping ... and do leg lifts.. that im going to try.. my knees just arent strong like they were before,,..i used to ride horses english and i did try that once but your knees have to be" tucked into" the side of the saddle to "get a grip" to hold on.... not with screws in i cant.... so there goes my life time hobby ..so sit stand walk lay down. is it .if i have to reach for something down / under.. like a table ...i have to get something to manuver it out so i can pick it up. i havent even dared to try to run...i dont want to throw it out of aligment. maybe the weights will help keep my damm knee in place.and i can fig out how to at LEAST go down on 1 knee at least and get back up without twisting..then maybe i can learn to dig with a hand shovel.time will tell;];];] something has to work!! thank you;];];];]

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't need a shovel! Just get a Lesche, and get on your knees and cut a nice 3/4round plug... that's all you need. My biggest pet peeve watching detector you tube videos are the guys who cut a complete circular plug... not necessary... and you are killing the grass in that plug by severing all the roots. I cut a U shaped plug and bed it back, careful not to sever the plug completely from the turf. Leave no trace, which means don't kill the plug either!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seen the video but if I may sway to talking digging tool, don't forget about the Hori Hori garden tool, really really good and not as expensive and I like it better then the Lesche my self.

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the 31" lesche shovel but that never comes out in a park or in someone's yard lol.
Other places like the woods is fine.
But I use a hori hori Japanese gardening tools and cut plugs by hand. If you can find a way down on one knee you should be able to use a hand digger

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well never heard of a hor hor digger...and i still havent been able to find out about spearheading a coin with out doing any digging... wrong terminology but you know...;];];]i went to a trash or treasure place in town and looked around..found some leg weights....they look like a divers belt with weights in it..on it says golds gym..im not actually sure what they ARE .... but in guessing arms / ankles..got to look it up ..another steal... 2.00 ;];];];]hope they can help strenghten up my knee muscles..thank GOD for the internet;];];] well its been rainy here 48 hrs so far an a tiny thunder /lightening.. like 1 of each..even the cats discusted... tired.. anyways thank you ;];];];] p.s... well just looked up those weights..... wlmrts..33.99 ;];];];] and they are leg weights;];];];] LOVE IT !!;];];];]

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's actually kind of ironic that my sampson shovel/digger will leave less trace than my hand shovel. Definitely one of those sight things going on there. Actually, I'd call it ignorance on the people against what "looks worse" .

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's actually kind of ironic that my sampson shovel/digger will leave less trace than my hand shovel. Definitely one of those sight things going on there. Actually, I'd call it ignorance on the people against what "looks worse" .

That's all it is; ignorance of the parks people. I'm sure that most of us can cut as clean a plug with a sharp Sampson, as we can with a hand digger.
But to the parks people, they see that shovel and may think you'll be leaving holes all over and wrecking "their" grass.
Best to be as inconspicuous (invisible) as possible, I say.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hori hori
truly-garden-hori-hori-japanese-gardening-knife.jpg
Can be found for ~$20 on amazon

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's all it is; ignorance of the parks people. I'm sure that most of us can cut as clean a plug with a sharp Sampson, as we can with a hand digger.
But to the parks people, they see that shovel and may think you'll be leaving holes all over and wrecking "their" grass.
Best to be as inconspicuous (invisible) as possible, I say.

Agreed. Just for laughs it would be fun to strap a detector to the front of a kabota with backhoe and drive around a park.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Caratunk
Check out LeisurePro.com for an idea on ankle weights. I have a set of 2lb. and they do make a big difference
GL&HH

OP
OP
C

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi guys well another artic day in maine..cloudy and literaly frzing out and im not talking sweat shirt.... im talking JACKET weather and cloudy and windy its tried all day to rain... just " sun showers" minus the "sun" oh what fun... and the blk flies... yeah.... not fit for any thing alive . SWARMS of them its just plain nuts. thank you for showing me the diggers;];];] and all your comments. i need all the help i can get.;];];];] no detecting since monday.. sigh...i hoping to try this wkend in my yrd again..maybe...as for the weight for your ankles... yes they are adjustable you can take the sand bags out for the desired weight you want to use and slowly add more weights as you get stronger.. im glad i got them;];];] im hoping they will make my knees stronger..and more flexable;];];]my poor detectors;[;[;[;[no excercise for them..until the weather is better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread