Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally. My 682nd a mercury
dime. Two coins later my first wheat. The dime came out of the hole still beautiful. Just had to brush a little dirt off.
It's hard to explain how happy and surprised I was, and still am.

With no success early on, I turned the threshold down to just touching the red, and sensitivity backed down to 4. Bingo. My luck changed immediately.
The mercury was only 2" down, but in a washed out piece of ground.
The wheat at 4", same area.

The booger of this being "my day", was that I had less than 2 hr to hunt, and could only use one hand, one arm. Had surgery on my right hand on May 25th, and still in a sling and protective frame. Turned out to be not as hard as one would think.

1496521213523.jpg

1929 Dime and 1956D wheat penny.
The wheat is really dark, hard to get a clear photo. But look how pretty the precious merc is.
I knew the DeLeon would find these jewels, just waiting for me to do my part.

Last edited:

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds!! Nothing like the first ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrat! You have a mercury dime in the picture. Not a rosie.

Oops! My experience is exposed. Wonder why it's called a mercury, the lady looks like a rosie.

caratunk

Feb 2, 2016
maine
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster, silver u max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
woo hoo congrates you did it;];];];]

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops! My experience is exposed. Wonder why it's called a mercury, the lady looks like a rosie.

Here is a little info on the mercury dime. Should answer your question. The Mercury dime is a ten-cent coin struck by the United States Mint from 1916 to 1945. Designed by Adolph Weinman and more correctly referred to as the Winged Liberty Head dime, it gained its common name as the obverse depiction of a young Liberty, identifiable by her winged Phrygian cap, was confused with the Roman god Mercury. Weinman is believed to have used Elsie Stevens, the wife of lawyer and poet Wallace Stevens, as a model. The coin's reverse depicts a fasces, symbolizing unity and strength, and an olive branch, signifying peace.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice..!

She does look more like "Rosie"...and we should be calling the "Rosies" Franks..
Congratulations, BTW; I love digging up dimes with lady heads on 'em! :icon_thumright:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She does look more like "Rosie"...and we should be calling the "Rosies" Franks..
Congratulations, BTW; I love digging up dimes with lady heads on 'em! :icon_thumright:

If you say so. They didn't mint rosies in 1929. Call it what you want. I was just informing him that its a better find then what he thought.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't think she looks like Rosie O'donnell at all. :tongue3:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I remember my first coin evern found with my detector years ago; a Mercury dime. I was just so excited. So I know how you feel!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a little info on the mercury dime. Should answer your question. The Mercury dime is a ten-cent coin struck by the United States Mint from 1916 to 1945. Designed by Adolph Weinman and more correctly referred to as the Winged Liberty Head dime, it gained its common name as the obverse depiction of a young Liberty, identifiable by her winged Phrygian cap, was confused with the Roman god Mercury. Weinman is believed to have used Elsie Stevens, the wife of lawyer and poet Wallace Stevens, as a model. The coin's reverse depicts a fasces, symbolizing unity and strength, and an olive branch, signifying peace.

Thank you for the info. Like you say, the older Mercury's are a greater fine than the rosie's.
Now, I gotta go back to that spot and find a rosie.
A silver quarter too, while I'm at it.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for congratulations on my surprising finds this morning. This is a relief to finally come through, kinda like a win
. Some of you have reminded me and others, many times, that this isn't some kind of special magic. You just gotta get out there at a place where people lived and played , many years ago. Well, you were right. I am now super psyched to get back there, but only when my right hand heals. I broke doc's orders and now on pain meds again.
But truth Lord, it was sure worth it.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, congratulations on the finds, and on managing to get out with your machine so soon after surgery. Hope you are mending quickly and without issue.
Of course we would all love to be finding walking liberty halves all day long, but there is something really special about a Mercury dime.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds Vern. The first of many silvers.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds Vern. The first of many silvers.

Thanks, Ivan. I hope you are right.
You and I can agree that the DeLeon is pretty darn special.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, congratulations on the finds, and on managing to get out with your machine so soon after surgery. Hope you are mending quickly and without issue.
Of course we would all love to be finding walking liberty halves all day long, but there is something really special about a Mercury dime.

Hello Bill. Yep, a walking liberty would be nice. But so would even another wheat, at this point.
Hey, you spent any more time with your DeLeon?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread