Thomas Dankowski's writing about target masking. Good read.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not all about target masking, ground changes from winter to spring and from dry spells to sudden heavy downpours. Study the area you have hunted with respect delta change to weather as well to it's season. Ground near heavy trees that have been detected for that were trying to survive a drought one season compared to dry to heavy rain another can have tree root system pierce the up ground, or even after winter though you can feel the ground roots pushing up that will unmasking objects that were unseen before appear even after you have hunted previous times before. Same with areas that are now exposed like gardens with new compost to those that have not. Hilly areas to crevasses where water leveling once was now changed either through sudden flooding to extreme dryness you will be amazed what you find.:occasion14:

A good read about this can be found in an article in Siver and Gold 2017 annual edition.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And don't forget ground moles. Here where I live we have ground moles constantly churning the soil and sometimes bringing it as much as 3 or more inches above ground in a mound of dirt.
Freezing and thawing causes ground heave which also moves things around. Even large booms from lightning can cause things to move a little.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never thought about ground moles, we have them as well, and gophers but those moles sure can move soil around I bet...also we just had a good dose of rain here a last few days, especially around 8 down pours just today but what I have noticed in my yard yesterday when we just go one good dose of rain from a long coming spring draught, looks like little ant hills everywhere but what that is dirt being pushed up through little pockets of dirt from when I got my yard aerated last year so....luck has it after the plugs getting pulled out fresh dirt is being driven up and must be by tree root systems from my big tree in my front yard. I wish I could have posted a picture of it the other day or even this morning but we I went to check just now all are leveled mud by the amount of rain we had..anyways I thought that was interesting to add as well here.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

For what it's worth I've been hunting the same sites over and over again for about 25 years now...these are urban parks, school yards and sports field. The thing is with the exception of 1 that was overlooked a couple of guys that started 10 years before me had already hit them pretty hard.

The sites are probably about 25 in total and I've managed to pull out about 30 gold rings(including those in my avatar), silver coins and jewelry, relics and probably several thousand dollars of clad over that time....and that's sites that were already picked over.

So yeah masking, targets on edge, dry or damp soil conditions, speed of your sweep, etc....all play a role in the results we all have.

Regards + HH

Bill

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I was able to get out for a short hunt two doors down from my house.... and right across the street from the lot I found the goods in last pic. I've been on this lot at least 12 times, and it's a fairly small area. This was right in the middle of it. Surprised this wasn't found before....only 4-5 inches deep. 20170618_193400.jpg

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a diamond in the ruff there.
I'm no expert but that would tell me that the area hasn't been hunted properly. You'd think someone would have stumbled across that even with older detectors....
Great find!!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a diamond in the ruff there.
I'm no expert but that would tell me that the area hasn't been hunted properly. You'd think someone would have stumbled across that even with older detectors....
Great find!!

Thanks, honestly I don't think this or the other lot with the silvers were ever hunted. I found 6 silvers here, and a few great mid tone targets which were a musket ball, a couple decent military buttons, and two nice skeleton keys. Probably me just being lazy everytime I got a mid tone and didn't want another stinkin Lincoln. Lol.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I'd dig any kind of signal not iron.
If noone has hunted it, there's probably alot of other treasures there. Wouldnt doubt that some are masked too so can't fully trust the detector. In that case I'd dig most all that aren't iron reading.
Then after I may even dig those.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A thought I had some time ago. If you have the patience and perseverance to do it, hunting in all metal should negate the masking problem. Regardless of the target(s) a signal will be heard and if dug, both the masking target and the desirable target will usually be found. Of course in an area with much trash most of us would go looney after too much time at this so we continue to miss good targets.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread