May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m thinking of the Compadre with 8” donut coil as a potential gift. Not only is the 8” a deeper multi-purpose size for the same price, but I think it might help a beginner practice pinpointing... by placing a bright golf tee, etc where they think the target is, then use the detector while looking through the coil, to see how they did.

Has anyone who owns one of these with the 8" coil (bigger = more EMI vulnerable) used it in a higher EMI environment (i.e. where they or others there have had to dial down sensitivity on other detectors)? I’m wondering how high the fixed sensitivity is and how vulnerable it is without the capability of lowering it.

Thanks!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I got my Compadre I tested down stairs in my house where I now only have 3 flourscent lights, I pulled set of flouescents out downstairs (so now 3) and nothing upstairs in the kitchen they are gone. But it was chatery. I was advised on this forum to take it out side where it quit down right away to reduce any known EMI vulnerability..can't say with the 5.75" coil as I have the 8" coil. I will also start using this method which I picked up on this site as well or seen on a video to have a golf tee handy. The Compadre with the donut is spot on, and deep on sensitive objects, very happy I made my purchase for and a must have for the master hunter to have one in his arsenal as a go to machine it is definitely not just a beginer detector and should not be seen as one when used with the other detectors you are using.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that! I try to buy my son tools he wouldn't otherwise buy for himself.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used a 7" coil Compadre for years with the sense turned up internally to max and a borrowed, stock 8" coil unit to try for a few weeks when it came out too.
Out of the countless sites I used them there was only one where I got any chatter at all and that was with the 7" unit.
The only one.

The Mojave seems way more susceptible to EMI than any Compadre I have ever held but it has that sense control so no big deal.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news! Thanks for that!

We get really bad EMI here during the day that forces the Mojave down to 2-3. But it affects both our Garretts as well, the ACE almost as bad as the Mojave and the AT Pro a little less so. I suspect it would make a Compadre unusable, but it won't be for me. I need to sweep my son's place before buying him one.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Compadre would be a perfect detector to add to your family, he will enjoy it and so will you.:cat:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One idea, grab a used Silver Umax for the same price as a new Compadre. It beats the Compadre in depth also....

Also other options on Ebay.....I see a Conquistador for $200 and a Silver umax with no bids. Both better machines than the Compadre for same price.
imho

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One idea, grab a used Silver Umax for the same price as a new Compadre. It beats the Compadre in depth also....

Also other options on Ebay.....I see a Conquistador for $200 and a Silver umax with no bids. Both better machines than the Compadre for same price.
imho

Good catch Steve!

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Steve!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome everyone...

Just throwing out alternatives. I fell in love with my Eldorado Umax.

But there are risks involved.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll use the Mojave awhile and if I like it, I may pass it on to him and buy myself a new Outlaw 3-Coil. Of the currently sold models with Lifetime Warranty, it's my favorite.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now ya thinking Mo, also depending on your son age even an used BH Junior would be a great decision for him if you are thinking of passing the Mojave down to him latter. Google Bounty Hunter Junior by Scannerguy1968 utube video how it rates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! My son will be 37 next month... and he's 2" taller than I am. He bought his first house a couple of years ago and quickly became interested in tools and DIY. :) My daughter will turn 40 this year.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skip the Compadre and go straight to the Mojave. That's what I would do if I could do it all over again.

tabman

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skip the Compadre and go straight to the Mojave. That's what I would do if I could do it all over again.

I should've probably skipped the Mojave and gone straight to the Outlaw 3-Coil. I have a feeling that's where i'm going to wind up anyway.

(if I don't bid on the Bandido II µMax just listed on eBay)

Last edited:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should've probably skipped the Mojave and gone straight to the Outlaw 3-Coil. I have a feeling that's where i'm going to wind up anyway.

(if I don't bid on the Bandido II µMax just listed on eBay)

You won't regret either the C or the M.
They'll hit on tiny gold earrings and chains that the ed120 machines can't see.
They all have their places where they shine.

That is a sweet BandidoII, probably be some competition 8-)

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't regret either the C or the M.
They'll hit on tiny gold earrings and chains that the ed120 machines can't see.
They all have their places where they shine.

That is a sweet BandidoII, probably be some competition 8-)

I dont have the Bandido, but I think Pinenut will agree, this Eldorado Umax I got is freakin awesome also.......several on ebay listed if the Bandido II umax gets ridiculous.

:occasion14:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all awesome.
Many niches to fill in this detecting game.
Fortunately you can buy 3 or 4 Tesoros and have all your bases coveredfrom depth,
to iron/trash, wood chips,water,and even TID for the cost of one big$$ $tarship Enterprise detector.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the Silver UMAX about the same price as a MOJAVE. Which is best for coins in trashy area?
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread