Starter Metal Detector

Windsor CA

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning guys and gals.....I'm just getting started, and besides doing a lot of reading, I don't know much. There's a Tesoro Vacquero detector for sale here, and the gentleman selling it suggested I ask for some additional input before buying it. Is it too advanced for a beginner, or is it a good place to start. If it's not the best detector for someone starting out, what is? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It's fine, I used one for many hours and found tons.
That being said it has no screen and although learning to hunt with sound only has great advantages no matter what detector you like to swing I always believed if you are just starting out units with tones AND screen info, especially extremely helpful VDI numbers and how they behave, can be much easier to help learn all the basics newbies need to learn.
Much easier, and maybe a little less frustrating at the beginning but just my opinion.
Many have though, the Compadre, Silver, Vaq and more have all been successful starting units for many.

Nowadays I prefer using Fishers with screens because we have become one.
The things I learned using Tesoros has been very useful to me because they have descriptive tones too, but I utilize the screen data just as much.
Once in awhile I still pull out a Tesoro because they are just a ton of fun to use for me, as a matter of fact I just picked up a new Mojave and I have been having a blast with it for the last few weeks but I use these for a change of pace...screen units are still my prime.

Whatever you start with there will be a learning curve and we all get over it...eventually.
The important thing is to learn whatever you start with well and continue that if you ever move to others.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites xlt you cant lose.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaquero is good for some beginners..

The biggest issue with the Vaquero as a beginner machine, is understanding how to properly ground balance. Once you know how though, it only takes a couple seconds to do and you'll see how important it is to have the adjustability. If you don't mind reading and asking questions, you'll have no problems.
Though Vaquero isn't always my favorite Tesoro to use, it surely is a good one. You didn't mention what you can pick up the used (?) Vaquero for, but if the price is right, get it; they're a quality detector with functional adjustability and good depth. They'll work well under varying soil conditions, better than most "beginner" detectors can. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
W

Windsor CA

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys for all the input.

Pinenut.....barely used, $350....sound about right?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a bit too much..

Unless it comes with an unfilled warranty card, too high. Used Vaqueros in nice shape typically go for between $250-$300.

You can pick up a brand new Mojave with lifetime warranty for about $250 shipped. Though not as deep as Vaquero, they're a very capable Tesoro and perfect for a beginner.

You also want to consider the support equipment you'll want to buy.. Some sort of digging tool(s), a finds pouch or apron, knee pads, headphones, possibly a pinpointer.. The stuff does add up. Why not pick up a brand new Mojave with full warranty and a decent digger, find goodies right away, then think about other stuff you'll want. You won't go wrong with a new Mojave and even if you think you want something fancier later on, it'll always be a good backup.
BTW, I found my first silver coins for the year and a 10K gold bracelet, using my new Mojave. Mojave found the early wheaty and two Barbers the very first day out! (hard to believe, but true!)

IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Little high.

Cibola abt same new with lifetime warranty and you dont have jack with ground balance.

And get the 11x8 Cibola......a beast. I have one and Vaqueros. ...

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used Compadre if you can find one around $100 and some change and your soil is low to moderate mineralization, then if you find you want to stay into the sport Vaquero 11x8 coil or even a used Fisher 70 or Teknetics Patriot.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used Compadre if you can find one around $100 and some change and your soil is low to moderate mineralization, then if you find you want to stay into the sport Vaquero 11x8 coil or even a used Fisher 70 or Teknetics Patriot.

Great idea. Compadre isn't anything to laugh at, especially those ones to be had under a 100 bucks. I got an 8" that way....

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to get more info about ground mineralization. The ace 250 was not fun. It would pick up ground foil as gold and then bounce to trash...back and forth. Many many times it would pick stuff up and nothing would be there...seriously. Of course you can chock it up to operator error and inexperience. But still Id like to try again with a different model.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry posted in wrong section

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentleone,
Just pick up a mojave. No screen to get in your way!! In high ground setting it'll run quiet as a church mouse.

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoof2010 how does a mojave handle heavy mineralized soil?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Stoof2010 how does a mojave handle heavy mineralized soil?

I have very bad soil here in Birmingham.
In Kansas I ground balanced mostly in the mid 40's to low 50's on a Fisher, to compare here I go from the mid 60's up into the high 70's to low 80's at different sites.
Plus the regular iron, it is everywhere here from microscopic to millions of rusty nails in all sizes to huge odd shaped iron objects.

My Compadre worked fine here but I rarely got much past 3-4".
My Vaq did a little better but not much despite using both concentric and DD coils and having a manual GB.

My new Mojave us shocking me on how well it works in this environment.
Several inches deeper than the Compadre, not sure how deep it will get but I am hitting up to 6" so far with great ID's and that is a target rich level for me.
Plus it is unmasking targets in my well scoured sites in all this iron with relative ease...and I still have not got a clue on exactly how much better and deeper I can do with it.
There is more to go I assume.

A Compadre on steroids is how it has been described by a few and I concur.
I am having more fun with it in this dirt than my Vaq too which also surprised me, as a matter of fact I traded my Vaq away to get it and I don't regret that decision at all.
In great soil the Vaq was king but here the Mojave is turning out to be a dream machine.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can't speak from personal experience, because my ground is good.
But also rusty over at Tesoro said it's the first ever non GB knob Tesoro (turn on and go) Tesoro to run quiet and stable in his backyard in Arizona. And as digger27 says it works in his bad soil.
So I'd have to say in HIGH on the switch, it will work better than any non adjustable machine out there.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Well I can't speak from personal experience, because my ground is good.
But also rusty over at Tesoro said it's the first ever non GB knob Tesoro (turn on and go) Tesoro to run quiet and stable in his backyard in Arizona. And as digger27 says it works in his bad soil.
So I'd have to say in HIGH on the switch, it will work better than any non adjustable machine out there.

Forgot to mention...I have yet to find a need to flip that switch to high mineralization which surprises me.
Mostly I have used it in areas that GB in the mid to high 60's, though.
Recently I hunted a new to me park where in one area the red dirt was redder than red and the GB numbers were in the high 70's consistently.
I will bring my Mojave there one day and see how it does...that switch might be useful and matter there.

I do get some EMI chatter on higher but not even maxed out gain at a few places with the Mojave where my Compadre was always dead silent, despite having the gain turned up to max internally my Compadre was always totally silent.
This leads me to believe the power range on the Mojave is much higher, maybe not Vaquero high but up there.
Enough to get me to where I need to go and still deal with all my issues I have here, anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread