Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
I have a few questions about the both of these detectors, and coil question to add to it.
So far I am halfway through mastering the Tejon, Vaq. ebook.
Most probably the end of next month I would like to purchase either the Tejon or Vaq.
Seeing that I live in upstate N.Y. in certain areas north of me we have mineralization.
I have a Garrett Infinium if I ever want to wet beach hunt.
The Tesoro style is under my skin and appeals to me.
My nature would be to go for the bells and whistles Tejon. The post about the Tejon not being able to handle mineralization that well are inconsistant and a little worriesome to me.
I like coin hunting a bit more than relic (newish to both) , but opportunities are opening up in good relic areas for me.
Would N.Y. soil be o.k. for the Tejon?
If the Tejon black is still available with a large widescan coil, do I need to worry about having additional coils tuned?

Thanks for any input.
Brian G

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and they each have their place in my arsenal. You do not have to have coils tuned to them because they are both manual ground balance. If I was only going to choose one it would be the Vaquero because it is a more well rounded machine and the Tejon is a more specialized machine. The Vaquero handles mineralized ground better than the Tejon and both share the same coils. I would choose the Vaq with the 8 x 11 rsd and pick up a 5.75 concentric to compliment it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tejon is a much steeper learning curve than the Vaquero. It is FINE in high mineral and conductive ground, however running at over 17kHz, it is not designed as a coin hunter. The Vaquero will be deeper on coins, and will be better in iron and trash. Get it with the 11" x 8" widescan. :skullflag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.
Some of the videos like Scannerguy show a coin garden test with the Tejon matching the Vaq on coins.
Is that just a case of real world vs test world?
Oh thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah but now with the 11x8 for the Black Vaq that might be a different story comparing what the scannerguy videos show...but put the 11x8 on the Tejon certainly a killer too, but the 12X10 is another coil to be reckoned with but again depending what soil conditions and areas you will be hunting. The Vaq 11x8 RSD and save up for the concentric 5.75" for junky areas is all you need in most cases for coin shooting. The Tejon remember has it's place and the con 5.75 on it is a show stopper as well.

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Tesoro Mojave. My old pawn shop purchase of the bandito II Umax was nice. In the brief time owning that I found allot of shallow clad. Never seemed to go deep but I missed it as soon as I sold it. Never was enthused about my 2 Xterras after using the Bandito. Watching videos mentioning the TID instantly turns me off.
So for my birthday gift to myself at the end of July I want to choose one without feeling like I am missing out by choosing the other.
Can the Tejon or Vaq. be purchased with the 12 x10 coil ?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..Can the Tejon or Vaq. be purchased with the 12 x10 coil ?

You may find a dealer who will "upgrade" for an additional charge. If you're going to use the 12x10, you may want the Tejon. With its batteries at the rear, it'll provide a better balance than Vaquero with that big coil.

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there isn't a big difference between the 11x8 and 12x10, having the 12x10 might not be a big deal. A few people mention having the 5.75 might be a good coil as well.
Being able to change tones seems like a good feature. I like the dual disc. as well. I know people call the Tejon a relic machine but it has been described as a coin monster.
The Vaq. seems simple and powerful. There is an appeal to that as well.
So the more I learn about both, the more confused I am.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get the Vaquero, high or low tone..

It is a little confusing.. Let me help, if I may.

The Vaquero is simpler to learn, lighter, cheaper and in my opinion, a more convenient "all-around" Tesoro. Figure out if your ears like a high tone or low tone; Vaquero tone isn't adjustable, but you can order a high-tone version of it, which is the one I prefer.

Just get yourself a Vaquero with the 11x8 Widescan coil for the open/cleaner areas, and buy the 5.75" concentric to go along with it. The 5.75c discriminates very well, has good depth on Vaquero and works super in trashy spots. You'll be set.
Hope that helps. :occasion14:

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it says allot for so much enthusiasm for the Vaq. and really not much for the Tejon. As much as I would think its cool to have a few extra controls and sounds, the Vaq. wins it where it counts. A loyal following due to results.
If people liked it just because it is cheaper that isn't a factor for me.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it says allot for so much enthusiasm for the Vaq. and really not much for the Tejon. As much as I would think its cool to have a few extra controls and sounds, the Vaq. wins it where it counts. A loyal following due to results.
If people liked it just because it is cheaper that isn't a factor for me.

You know.. I really want to like the Tejon more than I do. I actually bought a Tejon with 11x8 before I got a Vaquero. Tejon goes deep, I love the adjustable tone / or VCO, and I sort of like the dual disc. Tejon is also super quick and "sparky", which is what I like the most about it.

Since I'm after mostly coins and jewelry though, I prefer the way Vaquero's disc range is set up, over the Tejon's. I do believe Tejon is more of a relic machine than a coin-shooter. You can use Tejon for coin hunting of course, but I'd rather use the Vaquero.. (and rather use a couple other Tesoros than Vaquero in the trashier places..)
Vaquero is a really good all-rounder and will probably do most of what you want a "beep & dig" land detector to do. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like a Vaquero for sure now. Some of the head to head post make out Tesoro to be on the shallow side compared to Fisher etc. Seems the opposite of what I see in youtube videos.
Not a big fan of programs and VDIs and video game beeps.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like a Vaquero for sure now. Some of the head to head post make out Tesoro to be on the shallow side compared to Fisher etc. Seems the opposite of what I see in youtube videos.

I suspect that all brands of modern detectors will go a decent depth with a given coil size, and it's just a matter of how well you have it tuned to your soil conditions. All of the HOT series Tesoros are fairly deep, but I think Cibola and Vaquero have their disc range spaced a little better for coin hunting than Tejon does. They also seem a little less "on edge" than Tejon. Really though, if you like a relatively simple, fully adjustable detector that's good quality and has a lifetime warranty... It's hard to beat any manual GB Tesoro. If you're hunting open areas with little trash and light mineralization... Tejon may be what you want. If you have a little more trash, hunt mostly coins and jewelery and want a lighter weight detector that runs a single 9V battery, pick Vaquero. I also think Vaquero is less fussy about GB and mineralization when soil conditions are changing.
Lots of trash with small iron (nails, bottle caps), my pick of the modern Tesoros would be the Outlaw, as it has the sharpest discrimination (with concentric coils), and "ED120" disc, blocking out the smallest iron even at the minimum disc setting. They're all good.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have the latest F75 DST ABC 123 machine.

The F75 is a little deeper in all metal, the Vaquero is deeper in discrimination mode in identifying a silver quarter deep. ymmv

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right after I posted my last reply I found a video from a guy in Canada that uses a Tejon. Now I am on the fence again.
Fisher does seem nice but when I get my Xterra back from my neighbor I can get my fill of TDI and notches etc. Just not the same.
I had my Mojave out today with my grey ghost headphones I just replaced the earpads on and I was in heaven. Tesoro just does it for me. I just need a dealer that will respond to emails. I have tried a California dealer and an Arizona dealer.
No responses.
There are no dealers in N.Y.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Rusty..

... I just need a dealer that will respond to emails. I have tried a California dealer and an Arizona dealer.
No responses.
There are no dealers in N.Y.

I wouldn't bother with the CA dealer, but that's just me. If you tried contacting Rusty and didn't get a response, try again.. If you just have questions about "which model" give Allen @ Tesoro a call or email. I've talked with both Allen and Rusty, and they seem pretty cool and don't rush you off. Allen is pretty quick to reply with email, too.

If you're ready to grab one - Serious Detecting, Kellyco, and Clevenger would all appreciate your business. I've had good luck with each of 'em for Tesoro stuff. Bought a couple Tesoros through Kellyco and my last new one came from Clevenger.

OP
OP
B

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to say that Rusty emailed me. He definately will get my business. I know that dealers don't get rich selling metal detectors so its amazing to see such great customer service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread