How is the Deleon on finding gold rings

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Can't help you with the Deleon since I never held one but I have found a lot of gold with a Compadre, a Vaquero and a couple of Fishers.
Tesoros are as good at finding this metal as they are at finding coins and other things...it is up to you to learn how gold behaves, recognize it if you swing over it and dig it when you do.
No matter what detector you use gold can and will come in at most ranges depending on size, shape, alloys and purity.
Small thin tiny chains can easily come in at iron along with tiny earring studs and other small pieces.
The bulk of my gold has ranged from foil, the same exact area where condiment packages and those stupid round freshness seals off of drinks come in, through all areas of foil into all areas of nickel and through tabs up to zinc...lower zinc below zincolns but where decent sized can slaw comes in.
I have found 5 large 10k class rings at that lower zinc area...so far.
Gold can come in higher too, very high karat or larger things like bigger gold coins can easily come in at dime, quarter or silver half areas too.
Basically just about everywhere and most times it is disguised as something else which is usually trash of some kind.
Gold is the Ninja of all metals.

If this stuff was simple to find we would all be finding a lot more of it because there us a lot of it out there but the universe just doesn't make it obvious or easy for us at all.

Below is something that was printed on the bottom of an older White's unit...notice where gold can show up.
It doesn't matter what brand or detector you use, this range exactly the same for all of us.

Attachments

• photostudio_1508504129954.jpg
    photostudio_1508504129954.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found 4 gold rings this year with my DeLeon. I concur with everything digger27 wrote of, above. If it sounds good, and locked on the VID number, dig it.

Some days I use my Red Racer, which is a wonderful md. However, when I return to my DeLeon the next hunt, I always go, "whooa, my god this is a great machine".

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep Seeker,
My primary machine is the DeLeon....all the rings in my avatar were found with it as well as many others.....as per the above message gold can pop up pretty much anywhere along the spectrum. I dig pretty much everything from foil on up when detecting so lots of junk but I do get lucky at times.

Regards + HH

Bill

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DeLeon was my very first detector that I bought years ago. True story. The very first day that I took it outside after reading the manual and playing with it....I found a gold ring!! Literally within the first 30 minutes of swinging it, it hit a good target and I dug a gold ring! I was hooked.:laughing7:
Can't remember how it ID'd and haven't swung it in years. But yes......it will find gold rings for you.
I still have that DeLeon.
And that gold ring.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tired Rooster,
Why haven't you swung your Deleon in years?

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vern2...many of the areas that I hunt are very difficult sites in regard to high iron trash and difficult ground conditions in general. Lucky me. So I slowly found myself gravitating towards machines with manual and/or auto ground balancing capabilities, multi-frquency and multi tone. These features I found to be very helpful in those high trash/difficult areas where really good targets were hidden. The DeLeon just kinda got side lined for a long time as I used and learned other machines. It and my Silver uMax have gotten some use however. My wife and daughter have used them several times....and with some success. Maybe I need to get it in the field again myself.......I have really good memories of some really good hunts with that Tesoro.

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Deep Seeker...a few more things about gold.

A picture is worth about a thousand words and I have posted these pics of most of the gold I have found over the years to illustrate how gold can come in and behave and many hunters have said it helped them to understand this stuff better.

The numbers you see are from Fishers, here is a legend to compare to better common targets.
Foil on Fishers range from about 16 to 27...some have found small gold even lower into the very low 20's but I have found a few starting at 24 which is where condiment packages hit also.
This includes that small 14k heart ring and a pretty big channel wedding ring with diamonds that was white gold.

Nickels on my Fishers range from about 28-35.

Zincolns come in at the low 60's like 61-63 or so...48-52 is still zinc but very low zinc like can slaw.

White gold can be mixed with a few metals to make them that silvery color, mixed with silver they come in higher, mixed with nickel they come in lower.
The two side by side channel rings is eye opening...the 10k white gold one on the left is way bigger than the yellow 10k gold ring on the right but came in way lower at 24 vs the yellow one that was more into the nickel/tab area.
I have one or two other white gold rings that came in higher into tab/nickel but they had to be alloyed with silver...not nickel.

Notice the Neena ring...it is actually pretty small but came in very high because it is high karat 22k.
Normally a lower karat ring like this would come in way lower.
On a club hunt a few years ago a member found a very tiny gold ring that was so small it barely fit on the tip of my pinky finger.
On every detector that swung over it that thing came in as a solid dime because it was marked .999...solid 24k.

Every gold target I have ever dug, (which were all shallow from 2-5" deep), have come in super solid on all my detectors and on my Tesoros with no clicks, pops, fuzziness or noise as I dialed the knob past the fade out point and then back down which is the way I do it on all targets to figure them out.
They were all silent and then just...came in where trash usually is much more noisy.
Deeper gold might act differently and some other gold might too but for me not one of them ever has to this point.

As far as those big gold class rings I discovered that on my analog Tesoros the sound of these bigger pieces, and maybe some smaller but very high karat gold too I suspect, has a different sound than any other targets I have swung over using my Tesoros.
It is quite unique, the sound is clear and sustaining as the most perfectly cast bell you have ever heard and a bit longer than most with sharp ends to that tone.
It is my holy grail sound that I have heard only twice in my life but every time I take a Tesoro out on a hunt my biggest wish is to hear it again just once more.

The first time I heard it was using a Compadre.
I got a signal that came in, (or faded out if you thumb that knob up), at the 3:00 area on my disc knob the same as most other full zincolns do.
I didn't recognize it at the time, to me it sounded like a solid, full zincoln and when that big class ring popped up I was shocked.
A few months later hunting with my Vaquero in a trash filled site next to a picnic pavilion I heard it again but that unique sound must have gotten into my head, heart and DNA after that first and only time because on this one it stopped me dead in my tracks and rocked me back on my heels the instant I heard it.
This was the only time in my career that I knew 100% that I was swinging over big gold or any gold before I dug it...the only time.

I hope you hear that sound sometime in your career because I assume this kind of target will sound the same on most Tesoros.
Once it happens to you you will understand and to me there is not many more thrilling experiences as this that you can have doing this great hobby

Attachments

• photostudio_1508678265525.jpg
    photostudio_1508678265525.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 66
  • photostudio_1508678343885.jpg
    photostudio_1508678343885.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 63
  • photostudio_1508678628373.jpg
    photostudio_1508678628373.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions