Sand Shark battery holder issue

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been visiting the same beach over the last couple weeks and almost every other trip I would notice the threshold was anything but stable even when almost maxed out. I also noticed that when rolling the Shark or rotating to search up the side of a cut that it would false every time. I posted on another forum and it was suggested that I check the metal bracket that holds the wires. It was a little loose but what I really noticed was how much play the battery pack has inside the box. I know when the front is closed and latched that it holds it somewhat but I believe its still moving around inside slightly.

I opened the front and inserted the battery pack and held it steady with my thumb and powered up the shark and it gave a steady beautiful hum. BUT when I would move it around every so slightly it produced the same drunk threshold sound like it does at the beach. Has anyone encountered this before, if so what was your solution?
I did email Tesoro yesterday morning but haven't heard back yet. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service so I'm looking forward to hearing from them but just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. I made a short video showing the wire bracket followed by the amount of play the battery pack has.

Thank you in advance! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Here's what I can do at home, it does the same exact thing at the beach except the threshold seems to be more stable in these videos than it does at the beach.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you feel there is something wrong, why not call Tesoro? Good Luck! :headbang:

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I was actually hoping you’d respond.... I read a lot of your posts before picking a detector. I did call Tesoro last night and spoke to Vince, explained what was going wrong and he stated on the phone that it’s very rare for something to go wrong with the coil. He asked if I could send the videos I took and said he’d call me back today with an answer. We’ll see what happens, since I bought it “slightly used” from Serious Detecting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be interested to hear what Vince says. From your videos, I'm not sure what you believe is a problem. Swinging a PI around concrete and a pool with a lot of rebar and EMI in your back yard doesn't really tell me much. - T

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
It was the best I could make at home, it’s worse at the beach and the area I detect has absolutely nothing around. No buildings, power lines... I even leave my wedding ring and phone in the car.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vince answered the phone?

He send everyone else home and was turning out the lights and locking the doors for the last time?

Enquiring minds want to know!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the best I could make at home, it’s worse at the beach and the area I detect has absolutely nothing around. No buildings, power lines... I even leave my wedding ring and phone in the car.

Where's your pinpointer? My F75 can pick it up 5 feet away with the pinpointed turned off.

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
A lady answered the phone and transferred me to him. I don’t use a pinpointer.. never needed one when I was using me Excal. When I start hunting something other than sand I’ll def buy one though.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When Natalie is at lunch, Vince has been known to answer the phone himself! :skullflag:

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Vince called me back tonight and said by looking at the videos he believes my coil wire is moving causing the problem. He suggested that I wind the wire up the opposite way and run it straight up a ways then wind it once its away from the coil. I'm going to try that once we get home tonight and then take it out tomorrow morning for a quick run by a beach I don't think is searched very often.

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
I took it out to the beach this morning with the wire ran exactly as Vince instructed and kept having the same issues.

I've sent an email to Serious Detecting asking them to start the return process. Looks like I'll be back to Detector Shopping.

BUT on the bright side, my wife has seen my frustration and has given me the green light to get ANY detector I would like. Which is perfect as we're taking our daughter to Disney this weekend for her birthday and we'll be minutes from KellyCo :icon_biggrin:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread