Vaquero Coil Question/Recommendations ?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a small coil for trashy ballparks. Tesoro has the 5 3/4" Concentric and Widescan at 3' and 8'. Any recommendations on performance?

I have also heard good things about the NEL Sharpshooter.

Also how would the 3ft cord reach just straight up the shaft with no wraps?

Or maybe I should sell the Vaq and buy an Equinox....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you keep the Vaquero, get the 5.75 Concentric. The 3ft. cable works fine, straight up the lower pole, with two-wraps on the upper. Can you afford the Minelab Equinox? Then sell the Vaquero and Get One! :skullflag:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do my eyes deceive me is the great Terry Solomon recommending selling a Tesoro and buying a Minelab?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Do my eyes deceive me is the great Terry Solomon recommending selling a Tesoro and buying a Minelab?

Quick... somebody check his temperature.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the 8x9 and the 5.75 concentric mostly with a vaquero and are the only two coils you need for it in my opinion. The 8x11 i'll put on for a field or an area where the targets are few and far between. It is my least favorite coil of the three and I rarely use it. Anyhow, the 5.75 concentric is really good. As I have said before, don't think i've got anything with the 8x11 that the 8x9 would not have hit on, the 8x9 discriminates better and the 5.75 conc. is amazing in trash.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with either one. And my week old machine is a new Vaquero. It goes really deep. Not so good for a park, but I don't do parks.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: the 5.75" Concentric coil will serve you very well! :icon_thumleft:

GL & HH

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with either one. And my week old machine is a new Vaquero. It goes really deep. Not so good for a park, but I don't do parks.

Have you turned it down at the parks? I have an F70 that runs great at sensitivity of 50, only lose a couple of inches off the 24 inches deep it and the Vaquero goes...
:occasion14:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about turning it down. Funny to say because my first Tesoro with a sensitivity knob, I always went max.
But slowly I learned I don't need to dig that deep lol.
For Parks definitely leave the Threshold at a slight hum without super tuning keep the sensitivity down.
I also found my daily on runs better at low sensitivity to might have something to do with the Emi I'm not sure.
Parks usually have shallow targets and you'll get sick of digging a foot down for a pull-tab real quick LOL

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread