Mojave and EMI

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been able to get out about a handful of times or so with the new Mojave. I went to a local park yesterday and had so many issues with what I believe was EMI. I lowered the sensitivity, had it set on high ground condition and increased the discrimination, and it would not stop 'chattering'. I turned it off and back on again with no change. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it was due to EMI and not an issue with the machine itself. I've been to this same location with my other detector, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, and didn't not experience any issues. I know the Mojave operates at a higher frequency so I am assuming that that makes it a heck of a lot more susceptible to EMI? I haven't been out since so I can't say for sure that it was simply due to the area that I was in as there were a few buildings close by as well as power lines. If it was due to EMI is there a way around this or am I going to have to be more selective when it comes to locations when using the Mojave? Thoughts, comments? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have never had any trouble with EMI on my Mojave. You might try it in a few other locations and see if it still acts up. if it does I would contact Tesoro and let them know what it is doing.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few kHz difference in frequency is not the issue. EMI can come
from almost anywhere, so it could have been that there was
an active EMI source nearby.

EMI is likely an issue with the detector itself..it's either not sufficiently
shielded internally, or the source of the EMI could be the circuit board
itself.

You'll want to make sure your connections are snug (coil to machine)
and that there are no cuts or damage to the coil wire. If you're using
a coil cover, take it off and make sure there are no metallic objects
or black sand between the cover and the coil.

Edit: Just noticed this was my 3000th post....only took me 6 years..8-)

Last edited:

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t forget.... cell phones can also cause EMI in some instances

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t forget.... cell phones can also cause EMI in some instances

I hadn't considered that. I'll have to pay closer attention to that next time I get out. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might just do that. It has only happened once so far so I'll give it a test in a couple different areas and see if I have the same issue(s). Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to recheck the connections. I unplugged the coil cable and plugged it back in, gave the coil and coil cover a wipe down, and turned it off and then back on again - same issue. I'm guessing it has to be the location that I was in but I don't feel as though I should be having those kinds of issues with it there. I'll give it another go in some different places and see how it does. Thanks for the feedback.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Vaquero would chatter like crazy if I used a low battery. Never had issue's any other time?

OP
OP
J

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only had the Mojave since last weekend and have only used it 3 times. I can't imagine a brand new battery drained that fast then again I could be wrong. I'm hoping it had something to do with where I was and not an issue with the unit itself. I'll give it another go tonight or tomorrow to be sure as it has only happened once out of those three times, so far.....In your experience, how long do you typically get out of one battery?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was planning to go out with my new Mojave this week, but, it snow in the great state of Connecticut. Good hunting and good luck.

MM32KY

Greenie
Apr 23, 2017
Southern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we have had this conversation indirectly on your YouTube channel. Inside your home or if you are concerned about EMI do it outside. Turn the unit on and gently twist the coil and tapping it with your fingers. If it chatters turn the discrimination knob to no discrimination. Tap and squeeze, turn to full discrimination and try it again. If you are getting chatter call Tesoro Tech Support.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread