Tejon just quit working.???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used it last week , tried 2 different Coils $ 3 sets of batteries .
NO sound .

I think ? that I left it turned on after it's last use , (when I went to turn it on & the knob was just past the on position ) :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Seems I would have heard it beeping while in the trunk , I assume it was in 'Overload' Would this 'Fry' a Circuit ?

I hope the machine was smarter than me & turned it's self off :dontknow:

Hope a factory reset will help but IDK.

Called Tesoro but they are not open yet , about to drive the Hour back to my site .

Does anybody have ant experience with this 'Leaving it turned on' .

I was not the original owner so 'no warranty'.

So now to worry & decide what to do. :icon_scratch:

Any Help will be greatly appreciated , ill check back when I return home around 8 or 9 pm .
Will let y'all know if Tesoro calls back as well.
HH
I usually take a back-up but where I park is Isolated & worry a break in might occur.
Oh Well.
Thanks Again
HH & a Blessed day to all.:thumbsup:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My couple of experiences with left turned on or accidently torned on without knowing just left me with dead batteries the next time I intentionally turned the machine on.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's been hot where you are being in your truck could have hurt it.
I don't leave mine in the car/trunk besides when going to or from a hunt

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick some headphones on it and see if you hear anything, jack may just be dirty, long shot......

Batteries didn't leak did they?

Last edited:

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick some headphones on it and see if you hear anything, jack may just be dirty, long shot......

Actually, double check that your headphones volume is not just turned all the way down, I've done that before and it fooled me for a few minutes haha

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used it last week , tried 2 different Coils $ 3 sets of batteries .
NO sound .

I think ? that I left it turned on after it's last use , (when I went to turn it on & the knob was just past the on position ) :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Seems I would have heard it beeping while in the trunk , I assume it was in 'Overload' Would this 'Fry' a Circuit ?

I hope the machine was smarter than me & turned it's self off :dontknow:

Hope a factory reset will help but IDK.

Called Tesoro but they are not open yet , about to drive the Hour back to my site .

Does anybody have ant experience with this 'Leaving it turned on' .

I was not the original owner so 'no warranty'.

So now to worry & decide what to do. :icon_scratch:

Any Help will be greatly appreciated , ill check back when I return home around 8 or 9 pm .
Will let y'all know if Tesoro calls back as well.
HH
I usually take a back-up but where I park is Isolated & worry a break in might occur.
Oh Well.
Thanks Again
HH & a Blessed day to all.:thumbsup:

My couple of experiences with left turned on or accidently torned on without knowing just left me with dead batteries the next time I intentionally turned the machine on.
luvsdux

Thanks for the info luvsdux , I do wish that were the case with mine.

If it's been hot where you are being in your truck could have hurt it.
I don't leave mine in the car/trunk besides when going to or from a hunt

Thanks for your reply.
No used it last Wed , It worked well "got 5-6 strong beeps when I turned it on , it was not Hot out ,just drove home and put it in the storage closet where I keep all my machines. IDK ???

Actually, double check that your headphones volume is not just turned all the way down, I've done that before and it fooled me for a few minutes haha

Man I wish that was it , I checked it with & w/o headphones, Thanks Anyway :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea Man , tried that, the Batteries did not leak at all ; I went to turn it on & noticed the knob was turned just past the point where it 'Clicks' . Sensetivity would have been around 5 out of say 100.
Put new Duracells in & nothing , got home & tried 8 more batteries , still nothing.

I did the 'Toung' test on the battery packs ( like one does with a 9 volt) & got a Shock from both 4 packs.

This SUX , I worry way to much for this , I just purchased a larger deep search coil for it 3 weeks ago ( tried the original coil as well), I like the Machine , I got if from a Late friend Don McMichael R.I.P., in 2014 for $400 but had to send it in for a new Coil ( Guess it has the lifetime warranty ) lol; It's paid for it's-self a couple times over.

The nice Lady at Tesoro called me back & asked the same basic ?'s y'all T-Netters did.
She said the tech , was off today & to call back Monday.

It will cost Shipping & $50 for the Once over ...then to pay what it costs to fix it.

I only use it on certain sites , I don't hunt fields ; it would work great in some farm or Pasture land , my old 1266-X excels there also.

I really would not want to put more than $125 into it but may get it fixed if it reaches $200 (Only cause my Buddy Sold it to me).

Ill call 'Rusty ' or whoever on Mon or Tuesday & go from there.

I will keep everyone up to date if y'all would like.

Hmmmm???

Thank everyone for the input & more opinions & experiences are welcome.

God Bless all & HH & Have a wonderful Spring weekend.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and let us know what they say. I'm hope Allen can talk with you and try something iver the phone, but past what's already been suggested, sending it in May be only thing left.
May be a dumb question but have you popped the faceplate to see if anything like wires came loose?

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck and let us know what they say. I'm hope Allen can talk with you and try something iver the phone, but past what's already been suggested, sending it in May be only thing left.
May be a dumb question but have you popped the faceplate to see if anything like wires came loose?

No I have not but those 'Phillips screws" have been staring at me . lol

I may just have a quick look later.
Thanks
Davers

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take it easy and don't force anything. The wires are very stiff so just take it easy and have a look.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just take it easy and don't force anything. The wires are very stiff so just take it easy and have a look.

I have not taken it off yet but noticed the knobs are on very tight & it look's as if a small Allen wrench my be required to remove them , I gently pulled on one then noticed the little holes in each knob.

I would think that ,'I would want to put them precisely back on at the same position they came off . ???
& The Ground Balance Knob has a Nut between it and the Machine , soo.

I may just send it in & not sweat it .

It's a 2005 model but I did send it in around 2014 for a bad coil.

It still has life in it and living in a Civil War area , It's gotten to where hearing the tone of a Minnie Ball or Lead triggers something in my Sub-continence telling me that's a Bullet.

Plus as I said I just got a 12 X 10 Deep seeking coil (at a good price).

I will keep you informed.
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just to be funny .
With that Tesoro 'line-up' of machines you have , & Terry S turning into a Minelab Freak LOL, it kinda looks like you are the new tesoro 'Guru' . Again being funny ,lol

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Secret Circle of Conquistadors have convened in Prescott, as an influential, longtime company member leaves the fold, and I have abrogated my Cult Overlord & Overseer office. Stoof will carry on a proud and powerful 25-year tradition.:skullflag:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Secret Circle of Conquistadors have convened in Prescott, as an influential, longtime company member leaves the fold, and I have abrogated my Cult Overlord & Overseer office. Stoof will carry on a proud and powerful 25-year tradition.:skullflag:

So it's true?
In my 6 or so years on T-net , I would have never thought it.

Look 's like you have chose to stay in NY , far away from Prescott .
( long distance love affairs are hard to keep going )

Bet the Club hates to see you go , things & tech evolves or Dies.

Stoof is doing well from what I have read, helping people as you 'Terry' did/ do concerning Tesoro .

Good Luck Terry.
Davey

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hey wait a minute lol.
I can't handle that responsibility.
I just like using them and helping where I can.
Noone can fill Terry's shoes.
After this equinox fad is over he'll be back.... I hope!!!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not taken it off yet but noticed the knobs are on very tight & it look's as if a small Allen wrench my be required to remove them , I gently pulled on one then noticed the little holes in each knob.

I would think that ,'I would want to put them precisely back on at the same position they came off . ???
& The Ground Balance Knob has a Nut between it and the Machine , soo.

I may just send it in & not sweat it .

It's a 2005 model but I did send it in around 2014 for a bad coil.

It still has life in it and living in a Civil War area , It's gotten to where hearing the tone of a Minnie Ball or Lead triggers something in my Sub-continence telling me that's a Bullet.

Plus as I said I just got a 12 X 10 Deep seeking coil (at a good price).

I will keep you informed.
Davers

No need to pull the knobs themselves. They stay attached to the pots which stay connected to the front plate. Just pull the plate and see if any wires came loose from where they're soldered. You won't hurt anything as long as you just pull the plate slowly. No real risk by just taking the plate off. Only warned of the stiff wires so you don't go hanking Willy nilly lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on Tejon.

I have not sent the Machine to Prescott as of now.

It has been boxed up for a couple weeks ready to go.

They wanted me to send in both coils & Batteries to ??? Tho I did not pack the Batteries.(tried 3 different sets & checked them on a meter).

I ' May ' send it in when I get 'Froggy' as postage would be $ 20 + then the $50 to check it out .

If there is a big issue with it ,I likely will not spend over $50-$70 to fix it.

I would ask ? if the coils are good , could they send a note back saying they are in good working condition . So I can sell / Give them away with confidence.

The stock coil should have a warranty as I paid to have it replaced in 2014 or 15.

I'd be putting almost $80 into the Machine right off the bat.

I only paid $400 for it (to a Good friend) IDK:icon_scratch:, if it's worth the $ now in mid 2018.
+ I been stressing about Tesoro's Future as a company (either rightly or wrongly).

It has found it worth of relics and as I stated before is a 'Site specific' machine also my G2+ is equal in most soils to the tejon in performance IMO + has the helpful screen .

I just read the last post from 'Stoof2010' & should have pulled the face off ,heck I still may. 'i'd just have to un-package it .

IDK ; I just want to quit stressing over it.

Also have a new in box AT-Pro that I need to learn .

If I want to invest more than $150 into a new machine Ill likely wait for an EQ 800 , or get a Whites MX Sport, cause I used my XLT for 15 ish years & know the Whites #'s & sounds very well.

To me it's not really about machine as much as it is site.

Ill figure it out , i'm really just updating my post cause I said I would '& Ranting' .

Ill love any new comments & will let y'all tesoro folks know what I decide to do.
Davers

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope you Tejon is repaired soon! :icon_thumleft:

I sent my Outlaw to the factory to replace the toggle switch, a pot and the mysterious big red button..LOL ...$68 dollars. With all of the Gold jewelry the machine has found, I figured it was all I could do! :love1:

Good Luck with your repair!

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you Tejon is repaired soon! :icon_thumleft:

I sent my Outlaw to the factory to replace the toggle switch, a pot and the mysterious big red button..LOL ...$68 dollars. With all of the Gold jewelry the machine has found, I figured it was all I could do! :love1:

Good Luck with your repair!

Thanks
It's still boxed up + another box with the deep search coil.

I was going through all my batteries last night I have 100 + AA 's , My main machine uses 1 9 volt.

My XLT & 1266-X takes AA's but both have battery compartment issues & I would not trust them very far from the Truck.
Esp, the XLT.

I may go Today & Mail it ???
It has done me right & It was the last Machine owned by a Late friend.

As you can tell , I procrastinate. lol

GL to you.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do hope it's worth it .

It cost me $36 To ship the machine & coils yesterday.

Ill have to pay $50 for them to look at it. :coffee2:

I truly hope it's something simple , (think I stated this before ) but if the Fix is gonna be $40 - $50 max & it's not a coil problem , Ill ask them to certify that the Coils are good , 'Got a new stock coil put on it in 2014'. & just bought the deep search coil in March from a T-net member,'..

Got off-track a tad , 'If the Coils are good ' Ill try to sell them or give them away.

At this point it's a Sentimental thing, paid $400 for it in 2012 -13, replaced a bad coil in 2014 for around $120 including the $50 if I recall correct.

It's a 2005 date of Mfg.

That said I can not throw more $ into it + It's found Much Items, 'US ' Box Plate , 1830 Half Dime XF + condition. Guessing over 200 dropped & fired CW Minnie's , a handful of Common Silver coins / Rings . Much clad. Also Items I can not recall at this time.

It's a Site specific machine for me , as a Screen helps a-lot when scouting sites .

It's my "clean-up machine" for after most big targets are gone , the deep seeking loop worked great for the 15 or so Man hours I used it.

I'm writing this to FHIMC & a-lot for myself ; weighing my options :icon_scratch:.

I hope that I can still use it , Me & the machine have bonded :laughing7:

GD & HH
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread