Hot Rocks Signals

foyboy

Jul 13, 2018
WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a question for those that have been detecting longer than my short 7 weeks. I have found three hot rocks with my Vaquero. Seems like they all give me a double beep instead of single one. Also, why would my White's Bulleye II pinpointer not signal them.
They are hot out on the ground still. Air testing them with detector gives two beeps, pinpointer nothing.
Anyone have reasonable explanation? Im in South Central WI.

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt at several ski resorts and I run into hot rocks all the time up there. My experience is that I they ring up as good signals, not trashy or broken. I rarely attempt to pinpoint with my Tesoros because I don't usually need to. The Outlaw allows you to momentarily null out hot rocks and there's a video about how to do it on YouTube but for other machines like the vaquero you pretty much have to dig them. I don't know of any tricks or techniques for avoiding digging hot rocks and also, there might be something good under the rock. You just never know.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Vaquero is hot in picking up hot rocks for sure. That is why it is so sensitive like the Compadre as well, spent time cleaning up a beach of hot rocks but would not turn down a signal to bypas up some gold even after thinking GB the Vaq often would help, try not to have sensitivity to high either. I was able to still get other deep objects that withought diggin those hotties, would soon turn my prizes in my pouch.

Maybe that is where the Mojave comes in though next to the Outlaw as well, will check out that video, Thanks &

Cheers!

HistoryStudent

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading the manual for the old bandido II and it said this about hot rocks...

"hot rocks will cause a momentary silence [in all metal, auto tune mode] as the coil goes over them with a loud overshoot when the coil clears them. The sound is so different from a good target that it is easily recognized."

Hmm. I almost never hunt in all metal mode but I'm curious to know if this would work with newer Tesoros. Aside from the Outlaw, I think all of the newer Tesoros use auto tuning in all metal mode.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting nice read!

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot or cold rocks will set off a detector because they have a different mineral content than the soil around them, the pinpointer can't pick them up because of the lack of metal. Or so i read in the e book mastering the tejon and vaquero. Or something like that.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
foyboy - sounds to me like you’re digging “cold” hot rocks..

When I hear what I think is a cold type hot rock in disc mode - I toggle over to all-metal and swing over. If it nulls (sound decreasing on approach), it’s a (cold) hot rock. If it increases in volume while in all-metal, it’s usually metal. I think this works only with “cold” hot rocks which are all over my area. If the rock is actually metallic, it’ll sound like something to dig.
I usually use a Bandido II MicroMAX, so it’s quick and easy to toggle over to AM then back to disc. With a Vaquero, swing over with the pinpoint button depressed and have a listen. Pushing the button puts a Vaquero in all-metal.
Been a while since using my Vaquero, so I don’t remember just how the cold rocks sounded, but it was probably the same way - null on approach in all-metal.
Guess I need to take my Vaquero out again and play with it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread