Other

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've heard good things about that machine and really their whole line of machines. :dontknow:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro's are great machines and the Compadre is "turn on and go". I'd personally say the Compadre is the overwhelming best entry level detector in the market.

It swings with the "big boys" :)

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I do like how it is light weight and the turn and go knob is more of my style my time ranger has too much buttons and settings. The only thing I don't like about it there is no depth gauge

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great machine! As far as knowing how deep a target is? With practice you will know the size and depth of the target by instinct.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
a another question is what is it with the little popping noise when there is a target there I noticed it when locating a target

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mojave Mo Betta !

Compadre is a good machine.
- MOJAVE is a better, more versatile machine for about $90 extra. It’s deeper, has two ground balance settings, adjustable sensitivity, and you can easily swap coils. It’s still basic and simple to use.
If you like Compadre, you’d probably -love- the Mojave. My Mojave found me two Barber silvers the very first time out!

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
after looking and comparing i'm going to save up for the Mojave

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compadre is a great machine!!
As long as you have mild ground it can do all you need it to do. I do agree with the above about the mojave. For the ability to switch to "high" ground setting if hunting in harsh ground and sensitivity knob it's well worth the extra.
That being said, again, if your ground is mild the compadre will do you just fine.
I have both and use both and have mild ground. But there is something about the total simplicity of the compadre. It's probably the detector I have the most time on. Can't go wrong either way, but if I had it to do over (the mojave wasn't out yet when I bought my compadres) and I was looking to buy one to start it would be the mojave. It seems to do all the mojave does all the compadre does with the added ability to change coils and adjust ground balance.
I do keep my compadres for brand new people to try out. It's a great beginner detector that won't put off people by being too complicated.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not recommend the Mojave and I own one. It has chatter issues. Sometimes it works great and then sometimes you can just touch a blade of grass and it starts. Have heard some had a coil problem but I have switched to a 8" doughnut and I'm still having issues. I don't think it's the coil because I can hold machine 4' above ground and shake it and the box starts chattering. I also had a Silver Umax and never had these issues. Get the Silver Umax.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not recommend the Mojave and I own one. It has chatter issues. Sometimes it works great and then sometimes you can just touch a blade of grass and it starts. Have heard some had a coil problem but I have switched to a 8" doughnut and I'm still having issues. I don't think it's the coil because I can hold machine 4' above ground and shake it and the box starts chattering. I also had a Silver Umax and never had these issues. Get the Silver Umax.

your machine may have problems

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your machine may have problems

Also have heard they have problems with EMI. I took off my cell phone and it still chattered. I was close to house so maybe it is being caused by our Wifi. I do have a short video of it being used. Search Dig-a-holic on Youtube.

Last edited:

MM32KY

Greenie
Apr 23, 2017
Southern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Mojave since January and the chatter promlem was resolved with a quick trip back to AZ for a new coil. Quiet as a church mouse. I have not experanced any EMI issues even hunting next to power transformers in sports parks. It's light weight, simple and fun to use. I don't hunt a lot but I have found well over $200 in clad as well as gold and silver rings. The Mojave was my first detector and I highly recomend it as a starter detector.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Tesoro's are great machines and the Compadre is "turn on and go". I'd personally say the Compadre is the overwhelming best entry level detector in the market.

It swings with the "big boys" :)

I agree it would be an excellent first detector because someone brand new to the hobby could learn right off how to use their ears and not stare at numbers on a screen. I also believe no matter what detector you own once you learn it and know it, cover the screen and focus only with your ears. Personally it made me a better detectorist.

OP
OP
GB1

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree it would be an excellent first detector because someone brand new to the hobby could learn right off how to use their ears and not stare at numbers on a screen. I also believe no matter what detector you own once you learn it and know it, cover the screen and focus only with your ears. Personally it made me a better detectorist.

i have been detecting about since i was 7 i'm 15 now and my bounty hunter time ranger seems like its not working right

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
i have been detecting about since i was 7 i'm 15 now and my bounty hunter time ranger seems like its not working right

I'm not familiar at all with Bounty Hunters. Not sure what to tell you about having it looked at.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw a black Compadre on Ebay. (deleted for rule violation) has it. Looks cool!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the European version.
I saw a seller with that as the picture but when I contacted them they said it was the brown one and it was an old pic. Truth is he was hoping to get more sells showing the black one.
I just received contact back and he's claiming the same as the other guy. It's a "stock photo" and the detector is actually gold and brown coil. Lol. Love when they try and pull one over. If the photo was just dark like he tried to say, why is the coil white?!? Lmao
Hope noone bought it hoping for a black one

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks. I would not buy nothing from a dealer that false advertises. I also see another black one from a different dealer with a 5" coil.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The popping noise is usually something close to being discriminated out. I have the Mojave and Compadre and love both but the Compadre is the only one that I can cover a dime with pop tabs and still get a dig signal on the dime. I just set the discrimination until the pop tabs disappear. It doesn't work with any of my other detectors including the Mojave with a 5 ¾ inch coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread