Sandshark good for me?

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting this year I will be spending winters in Ft Myers Florida. I had such a great experience with my Silver uMax up in Ohio I want to stick with a Tesoro detector for beach hunting.

I want to be able to hunt the dry sand above the high tide line as well as the packed wet sand and wade into shin deep water too. Is the Sandshark completely water proof? Will it work in the dry sand as well as wet sand and shallow water?

I've never serched salt water beaches before and am not sure which detector to get!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Silver Umax(or anything else) will work fine in the dry sand. The wet sand and water require a multi frequency detector or a pulse induction detector(sand shark). The problem is the sand shark has no discrimination so you will dig a lot of trash. It is also VERY sensitive so even tiny trash will be a problem. I have had them and had success with them but multi frequency is better.... After many hours of use and listening to the sand shark you will sometimes be able to tell iron from other metals. I recommend you get the Equinox 600 or a used Sovereign for the beach. The sand shark is more suited for diving....hope this helps.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Starting this year I will be spending winters in Ft Myers Florida. I had such a great experience with my Silver uMax up in Ohio I want to stick with a Tesoro detector for beach hunting.

I want to be able to hunt the dry sand above the high tide line as well as the packed wet sand and wade into shin deep water too. Is the Sandshark completely water proof? Will it work in the dry sand as well as wet sand and shallow water?

I've never serched salt water beaches before and am not sure which detector to get!

Yes, completely waterproof to a depth of 200'. It is built like a tank, and will last you a lifetime. You should use the Sand Shark, ONLY on the wet sand and in the water. At the High-tide mark inland, use your Silver uMax, because you can discriminate out iron, which the Sand Shark will NOT. The PI see's ALL METAL, ALL the time.

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I LOVE my sandshark. Once I got back into detecting I bought one, sold it for a shiny new equinox and dual field and then quickly went back to the sandshark. I know they aren’t for everyone but I’m never letting this one go. I do dig up a TON of junk but I know I don’t leave anything behind.

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I gain by spending the extra money for the 10 inch coil over the 8".

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would I gain by spending the extra money for the 10 inch coil over the 8".

1.75" in depth. Stay with the 8" as is is much easier to handle in knee-deep surf, with less "flip up," and weight. :skullflag:

By the way, I just put my Equinox 600 up for sale in the Classifieds, as I'm moving up to the NOX 800. $575.00 shipped

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.75" in depth. Stay with the 8" as is is much easier to handle in knee-deep surf, with less "flip up," and weight. :skullflag:

By the way, I just put my Equinox 600 up for sale in the Classifieds, as I'm moving up to the NOX 800. $575.00 shipped

Thanks Terry! Still on the fence between sand shark and 600, but leaning towards the shark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread