Mass price cuts on the way?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if ya learn the 'audio nuances" of a single tone tesoro,you won't need
a "loaded with features" detector,for you will be finding' stuff galore with your little tesoro.
i got the "mojave" and couldn't be happier!..been at it for over 35 years,and had plenty
of "bells and whistles" instruments! tesoros are a 'ton of fun"

Agreed. Last season I was using my Tejon quite a bit and getting to a point where I knew a good high conductor without even flipping over to alt. disc or thumbing.

I need to start using it more.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
If you do I'd recommend the concentric. People seem to favor it over the DD

yes and there is a solid reason for that...the dd is made for highly mineralized areas.
the concentric is made for low to moderate mineralized areas.if you have low to moderate mineralization
the concentric will "pinpoint" better,discriminate better,and operate more "smoothly" overall than the d.d.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes and there is a solid reason for that...the dd is made for highly mineralized areas.
the concentric is made for low to moderate mineralized areas.if you have low to moderate mineralization
the concentric will "pinpoint" better,discriminate better,and operate more "smoothly" overall than the d.d.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I totally agree with the above. It's a shame that the industry seems to have standardized on DD coils, because they seem "newer" than concentrics. In many situations, a concentric will do better than a DD.

-Ken

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have all concentrics except that seemingly junky 7” dd. I do think I would appreciate an 11x8 for the longer scanning field, from a coverage standpoint. I also see how both types can work well in trash in different ways. I think a detector should offer both for their district advantages/applications. Sometimes with the 5.75” you feel like you never cover much ground, and you shouldn’t when using it correctly but it makes me wrestle against my natural urge to go go go... I also believe Tesoro stuck with concentrics because it can make a more affordable detector perform better. Maybe a dd just talks better with more sophisticated circuitry. Just a thought.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I have all concentrics except that seemingly junky 7” dd. I do think I would appreciate an 11x8 for the longer scanning field, from a coverage standpoint. I also see how both types can work well in trash in different ways. I think a detector should offer both for their district advantages/applications. Sometimes with the 5.75” you feel like you never cover much ground, and you shouldn’t when using it correctly but it makes me wrestle against my natural urge to go go go... I also believe Tesoro stuck with concentrics because it can make a more affordable detector perform better. Maybe a dd just talks better with more sophisticated circuitry. Just a thought.

the dd coil covers ground more thoroughly than a concentric. the dd coil scans straight down from tip to tip, (like a windshield wiper on a car) the concentric scans in an inverted ''cone" shape
wide at the surface,and narrowing as it penetrates the ground .this is the reason why you always have to "overlap" your swing by 50% to
make sure you are covering "all" the ground as you sweep from side to side..when a small concentric coil is mounted,then this necessary overlap
becomes more ''critical" because of the smaller size of the coil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oh yeah, don't me wrong -- both coil types have their place. It just frustrates me that some manufacturers make only DDs for their machines.

I have the 11x8 because it came with my Tejon, and quite like it. It is really light and good for open areas. Not really great when there's a lot of trash density, but it's not designed for that.

-Ken

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
this is true!..both types can be effective depending upon site conditions.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of field sites, full of nails but not much in the way of modern trash. The nel sharpshooter works out great on the tejon for this kind of hunt, much better than the stock 9x8 conc. But on grass coinshooting I prefer the 9x8 for better disc. on iron bottle caps. I did just order a 7" Mars lion for it as I don't have the patience with the 5.75 to cover ground well (my fault). I've had a lot of high end machines come and go but the ole tejon just keeps plugging along.

Feb 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Mojave, Garret AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new Mojave for $197 - dealer was getting rid of his Tesoro stock.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I hunt a lot of field sites, full of nails but not much in the way of modern trash. The nel sharpshooter works out great on the tejon for this kind of hunt, much better than the stock 9x8 conc. But on grass coinshooting I prefer the 9x8 for better disc. on iron bottle caps. I did just order a 7" Mars lion for it as I don't have the patience with the 5.75 to cover ground well (my fault). I've had a lot of high end machines come and go but the ole tejon just keeps plugging along.

that's right! 5" coils are tough to work with! smart money says to eye ball a small area and just grid it with the 5 just concentrate on that one area.
if ya try to cover ground,it can be very frustrating.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the good used Tesoros are still holding value. Just checked peebay and see a Bandido II microMAX bid up fairly high. If I didn’t like mine so much, I consider listing ‘em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread