new vs old frequency

findit

Jul 1, 2007
will the difference in frequency between 10 kHz and 14 kHz really make a difference in what you find. for example using a older say, silver or golden umax vs using a newer cibola or vaquero, assuming all the ground conditions, settings, and everything else are exactly the same.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the frequency difference you mentioned makes that much difference. There is more to it than that. The response time has improved on the newer Cibola and Vaquero's not to mention the smaller components that save weight. The better coils are wrapped under better tolerances too.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
findit,

Sandman has it right when he said "There is more to it than that". Back years ago (25 - 30 years) one could tell something about a given detector if he knew what freq. it was running at. Today there is much more to it than that. My advise is read what others here on the forum say about a particular detector and make choices on a detector based on that. Joe

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What about the 90's Eldorado that looks a lot like a Vaquero? I just got one and plan on trying a 12X10 coil on it as a general relic hunting machine. I have a possible site under some high tension lines and I'm hoping it'll be a little quieter than my MXT and will still get ok depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread