Does the Tesoro Vaquero have a different tone for each metal?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it doesn't. If it is like the Tejon you can still get a lot of information out of the sound and intensity of the signal. It is difficult to explain, just one of those things you learn as you get used to the machine. You can also use the discrimination control and see where the target discs out. One thing to remember is that a visual target ID is not always right anyway, and many good targets are passed over. If you have the patience, the best target ID is to dig it up and look at it!

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Toby,

No, The Tesoro Vaquero does not have audio tone ID. You distinguish targets (Good or bad) by using the discrimination control and/or the VCO style all metal mode. In discrimination good targets give a sharp crisp sound, junk targets give no sound or a broken up or ragged sound. Some junk targets will give a good sound also. In all metal VCO mode targets will change in pitch according to depth and size. Joe

R

robert roy

I am beginning to think that the old detectors from years back ARE probably just as good because they DIDN'T have all these bells and whistles. I wonder if all the old MDs had manual ground balance?
Robert R

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The guys already answered your question so I'll just add some support info.

The key word with all Tesoro VLF machines is signal QUALITY. The discrimination control and human brain work together to ascertain signal QUALITY.

Signal QUALITY is basically the same as signal TONES only less distinct.

People who get used to signal QUALITY machines usually see no need for a signal TONES detector.

But both types suffer from a fundamental problem. They both give-out at depths where they're needed most. At the extreme depth potential of any VLF machine, TONES and QUALITY sounds (and meter readings) change their messages.

This is easy to demonstrate with a TONES machine. Swing a coin over the coil. Note the high pitched TONES. Now move the coin out to the extreme distance from the coil that the machine is able to detect it. Note how just before you lose the signal the TONES change to a low pitch (iron sound or meter reading)? This same thing happens with signal QUALITY detectors. A dime that emits a solid signal at 5 inches may offer a broken (iron like) signal at 6 inches.

This is one main reason why probably 1000's of awesome finds are missed every year.

Badger

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Michigan Badger said:
The guys already answered your question so I'll just add some support info.

The key word with all Tesoro VLF machines is signal QUALITY. The discrimination control and human brain work together to ascertain signal QUALITY.

Signal QUALITY is basically the same as signal TONES only less distinct.

People who get used to signal QUALITY machines usually see no need for a signal TONES detector.

1000's of awesome finds are missed every year.

Very true Badger. I had the Vaquero...it is truly an awesome detector. I rehunted a site I had been at; and found MORE coins. Soil conditions (wet/dry) has an impact on targets also. I missed a lot of coins because of the break up of the tones. I slowed down the sweep; hunted from two different directions; etc. MD'ng isn't a race....move slowly and you will SCORE!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
its_toby said:
Hey Guys,

Does the Tesoro Vaquero have a different tone for each metal? How do you go about being able to distinguish between targets?

Thanks for the info

Toby
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think that the only ..Tesoro detectors.. that have different tone ID are the..Golden U Max and the Cortes.................==Jim==

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Guys! I'm leaning more and more toward the Vaquero. From what I have read, it seems to be a great all-around machine to do just about anything that one could want. I know that its going to take a little getting use to but I'm willing to put in the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread