Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sidewinder was one of the first of the umax mini box detectors that were introduced in about 1995 or 96. It was a great little machine then and will still be. They were considered intro machines because of their simplicity, but are still Tesoros which means quality and usability. Tesoro is my own detector of choice and has never let me down. If you later go to a more complex machine, that Sidewinder will still be a most excellent backup.
Have fun.

digben

Mar 15, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab: sovereign gt , excalibur I . white's: XLT , prizmII. fisher: F4. tesoro: sidewinder , conquistador.
I bought one used a couple of years ago and I will never part with it. It's great for tot-lot hunting with the 8" coil and gets an added extra depth punch when you switch to all metal mode on those faint, iffy signals. pinpointing is superb. You don't see these too often for sale and I can see why. A good clean unit will run in the $150 range - well worth it.

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mercy sakes ever try to find one two years looking for one,found one today 01/26/18.They are as hard to find as a good 1266-x fisher!Had to give $175 ,but the asking price was $250 with bags & headphones,offered $150 ,but the guy would not budge from $175 without bags and phones.jwm45

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Hi all, I just bought a Tesoro Sidewinder uMax from a fella on one of the forums. I have never heard of this model before but being a Tesoro it should be a good one. In my opinion Tesoro makes the best detectors and has the best service. Steve.

If you're not happy with it, I'll gladly purchase it from you.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not happy with it, I'll gladly purchase it from you.

That post was made a decade ago in 08 lol. I'm sure if he didnt like it he passed it on by now.
This is probably the oldest thread I've seen resurrected since joining lol.
Just letting you know so you don't get your hopes up :-)

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had been looking for a nice Sidewinder Umax a long time. Finally found a mint one a few weeks ago. I have used it once hitting 2 tot lots one day. s-l1600 (77).jpg s-l1600 (78).jpg

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The user manual shows which pot to adjust for the Ground Balance. When I told Rusty Henry that one time he didn’t believe me!!

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the sound of it's tones better than my other Tesoro's. It's higher pitched. Being it's so nice I plan to use it for a few tot lot hunts a year only.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the sound of it's tones better than my other Tesoro's. It's higher pitched. Being it's so nice I plan to use it for a few tot lot hunts a year only.

When I got my first Bandido microMAX I said the same thing; too nice to use except on special occasions. Then I starting using it more. And more. Still looks pretty, still works great.
Just use it - that’s what they were made for and there’s nothing really special about any of them. Be careful when changing the battery so you don’t wreck the plug or pull the wires out.
Take care of it and it’ll last for years. They’re just metal detectors.

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love that color scheme and graphic. How old are these? kHz? I bet it does have a great tone. My eldorado umax had great sound.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that color scheme and graphic. How old are these? kHz? I bet it does have a great tone. My eldorado umax had great sound.

I have the original manual and warranty card from 1997. 12 kHz. It does not perform as well as the Silver Umax's and Mojave which is why I'll just use it for tot lots. It's more like the Compadre performance wise.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
?.It's more like the Compadre performance wise.

That’s also how my Cutlass μMAX seems. Also have a Cutlass II μMAX and I’m a bit embarrassed to say - I haven’t even taken that one detecting yet. It’s supposed to be much like the Silver.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No rabbit trail, I'm just another Tesoro lover, a Cibola to be exact,
and it has given me nothing but joy, ever since 2007!
Great service then, and I only HAD to send it in once, to get my machines's
pinpointer button fixed/replaced....Its a tough lil' bugger, and lite weight, too...!
Did I mention simple....?

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s also how my Cutlass μMAX seems. Also have a Cutlass II μMAX and I’m a bit embarrassed to say - I haven’t even taken that one detecting yet. It’s supposed to be much like the Silver.

I just hurriedly bought a Cutlass Umax on Ebay. I hope to be able to clean and polish it up after I get it tomorrow. I probably should have waited for a Cutlass II though. Saw one perform pretty well on a Youtube vid.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up a Mojave and a Compadre nib from eBay. I’m very impressed with the Mojave. It will disc out bottle caps with the foil on them and still ring loud and clear on the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread