Compadre vs. Silver uMax for southern NY soils and occasional beach use

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i chose the silver and very happy.if depth is not an issue then the compadre would be a good choice.at that price level the other option is the fisher 1212x.as the previous poster stated the compadre coil cannot be changed.neither can the 1212x.difference is the tesoro coil is a 5.75.the fisher comes with a stock 8 in so u might get a bit more depth out of it.again at this price range ur not getting great depth.if ur willing to sacrifice about an inch in depth u can even get a meter to play with at this price.ace 150 territory.or u could go super cheap and get a bounty hunter tracker4 for about 120.i used a quick draw as my main machine for a while back in the late 90s.it really was not that bad and worked pretty good.bottom rung is the fast tracker by bounty hunter at 80 to 90.it is the lowest possible machine that is considered semi decently good.if i woke up near broke tomorrow and had no machine i would buy one immediately because I MUST HUNT AND COULD NOT WAIT AND BE WITHOUT A MACHINE.lower than this is a toy.of course all kinds of used machines about too.but for me i dont buy used unless a fraction of orig price.my opinion too often buying someone elses problem .IF 150 TO SPEND AND NO MACHINE I WOULD BUY THE FISHER.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
I agree the Compadre is my daughters favorite detector. We are 30 miles south of the Binghamton NY area and the Tesoro's al work fine here!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions