First Hunt Update

mikewray

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2009
Garland, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett/Ace 250/Pin Pointer
:icon_sunny:
First Hunt:I use to hunt with old Radio Shack unit, but I have not been out for several years. I have been reading the forum and got an Ace 250. I made my first trip on 1/31/09. I hit two parks and spent 4 hours. I used the 4" Sniper coil. I found the following: 12 tabs, 2 tokens, 25 pennies, 5 nickels, 15 dimes, 6 quarters, one .50 pesos, and one $10 pesos. I use to get frustrated with the old unit, but the Ace 250 has gotten my hopes up. I going back today to hit the same area and try the bigger coil and dig some more. This is in the Garland, Tx area.

I have been out 4 more times and spent 2-4 hours each time. I hit my first place and tried 4 new ones. I also got my feet wet and tried my big coil in some fields and found a few items. I decided to upgrade my automax V4 with the new Pro-Pointer. I plan to try that out today. Here are my results from the new trips: 54 pennies, 3 nickles, 14 dimes, 13 quarters, 35 tabs, 1 set of keys, 2 hot wheels, and 3 small charms/pennants.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
...where is the partridge in a pear tree ?? Sounds like you are doing great! Finds are secondary to just being able to get out and dig.
Hey .. wasn't there an old song with lyrics that went something like this: "Keep on swinging ..don't stop swinging .. you're gonna be a star some day... you're gonna make a lot of people happy when they come to watch you play"

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
Pretty good for a first outing. Congrats!!

I am also new to the hobby. I have been practicing with my machine in the yard but have yet to make it out on an official hunt until yesterday. On a trip to Lake Charles yesterday, I decided to try this old open area behind one of the properties my company owns. It is behind an old shopping center built in the 50's. Lots of trash. I swept the area for about an hour and a half. I dug up several aluminum cans, pop tops, and screw caps, a PPG token from 1992, and an old Chevrolet gas cap. No coins but I am still learning the machine. I would have been better off with the 5.3" coil instead of the 9.5" one since it was a trashy area. Still lots of fun.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
you are doing great for a new user of the Ace 250. Congrats on the finds and hope the older coins start showing up for you.

Funkman

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Very cool and nice finds. Glad to see you are back into the hobby. I have not taken my sniper coil off since I put it on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread