Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Tin Nugget said:
Done deal and good luck with this. I would not only like to see it be successful for your benefit but the benefit we all could potentially see if this action is successful.

I know there are lots more Texas detectorists out there that would like to help. WHERE ARE YOU???? :icon_sunny:

Try and find a detecting club in your area and ask if there are any bans in your area. If there aren't, you could try helping those areas that do have bans on detecting use. Sign petitions, email newspapers, and comment on the good points about our hobby.

If we just sit around and let the other guys do it, we won't win. We need to let the officials know we are NOT as small a group as they think we are.
If they ban us from detecting everywhere, would you just sit at home and let them ??? ???

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I can sign the petition Dimeman, as I ain't down there in Tejas. I am 1/8th Texan, and a lot of us in other states are in support of y'all and are following your efforts. Keep after it and best of luck!

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
RGINN said:
I don't think I can sign the petition Dimeman, as I ain't down there in Tejas. I am 1/8th Texan, and a lot of us in other states are in support of y'all and are following your efforts. Keep after it and best of luck!

Thanks for the support !!! ....It doesn't matter if you live in Texas or not, if you are 1/8 Texan or 1/100 Texan or not even close to being a Texan...... Please sign and get your friends to sign. We need lots of signatures from all metal detector users who want to continue to use their detectors in park areas.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sent a few emails out to some other organizations that don't treasure hunt or MD, but have been limited by officials in land use.
(3 4-wheeler clubs, and a couple of horseback riding clubs - who have been refused entrance to some of the national park trails, along with the link to sign the petition - and have urged them that this is also in their interests, since these public officials are trying to squeeze out people of ALL types from public land use.

Don't know if will help - but, if anyone else knows of other clubs, besides those of our hobby, you might think about emailing them.

B

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Tin Nugget said:
Done deal and good luck with this. I would not only like to see it be successful for your benefit but the benefit we all could potentially see if this action is successful.

We need lots more metal detector users to help us out by signing and commenting on this petition.

I know there are lots more detectorists out there that can sign...even if you live 2 miles or 3000 miles away..........please sign.

Thank you.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lbhcp4/index.html

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
ttt

Dimeman......how has the fight with pct 4 been going? I have signed the petition and provided an entry on the Houston Press blog. I just wondered if you had any updates.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
TexasDeere said:
ttt

Dimeman......how has the fight with pct 4 been going? I have signed the petition and provided an entry on the Houston Press blog. I just wondered if you had any updates.

To everyone who cared enough----------Thanks for your support. :thumbsup:

BUT:

There are not even 300 signatures on the petition yet--after 2 months and 1 week of it being up and signable.

I have posted the link to it, on 7 popular metal detecting forums, and on the WWATS website and even emailed some of the Texas Treasure Council members to let them know about the petition.
The Kentucky petition has over 1700 people who signed, and it has been up only 2 weeks longer than this one.
I was hoping for at least 750-1000 signatures..... but it looks like that isn't going to happen. :(

Looks like............... "what happens in "Texas"....stays in "Texas"....". :(
I'm thinking about just sending the link to the petition to the County Commissioner, so he can view the signatures and comments.

Doesn't look like enough people care about losing places to detect at, to help us out. ::) ::) ::)

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
Dimeman said:
TexasDeere said:
ttt

BUT:

There are not even 300 signatures on the petition yet--after 2 months and 1 week of it being up and signable.

I have posted the link to it, on 7 popular metal detecting forums, and on the WWATS website and even emailed some of the Texas Treasure Council members to let them know about the petition.
The Kentucky petition has over 1700 people who signed, and it has been up only 2 weeks longer than this one.
I was hoping for at least 750-1000 signatures..... but it looks like that isn't going to happen. :(

I'm thinking about just sending the link to the petition to the County Commissioner, so he can view the signatures and comments.

Doesn't look like enough people care about losing places to detect at, to help us out. ::) ::) ::)

Lets don't give up the fight that quickly. Have you posted teh link on the Louisiana,Oklahoma, New Mexico,and Arkansas boards. They are neighbors to us and might have friend or family in Houston and this would directly relate to them. Many people get on tnet and go to their regional page and that is it. Just since I ttt it last night, there has been more action on the petition. Now that it has sat for a little while, lets roll it back out to many of the different forums and see if we can get interest.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Dimeman said:
TexasDeere said:
ttt

BUT:

The petition is still available for everyone to sign.
If you read the other thread...you know that the county judge and all the county commissioners revised the "Rules" for the rest of the county parks. ALL --HARRIS COUNTY,TEXAS COUNTY PARKS have banned metal detector use.

Looks like the county judge and commissioners can change the laws and "Rules" without hearings, consent or knowledge of the people who put them in office.

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
I signed from the Louisiana forum. Would like to think I could detect Houston area parks if I am there. Any info on what brought about this law????

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
ZenAgain said:
I signed from the Louisiana forum. Would like to think I could detect Houston area parks if I am there. Any info on what brought about this law????

They cite the threat of lawsuit from the Historical Commission (I think the Historical Commission refers to us as looters) and reference that they are following the National and State Park's lead.

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
The Historical Commission that would just as soon leave history rotting in the ground? Well kudos to them, eh? Bleh.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
ZenAgain said:
The Historical Commission that would just as soon leave history rotting in the ground? Well kudos to them, eh? Bleh.

They say these areas have archaeogical significance and don't want metal detector users to scavange their "trinkets" from the sites............. but they aren't doing anything to get them, so the "trinkets",just rust away in the ground. The trinkets being modern clad coins and the occaisional modern jewelry lost in the parks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread