Where to go when you tire of same parks.

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem for a while until I found google earth. Get a birds eye view of the general area and it you find a spot the looks interesting go for it.

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks, Bean. MY problem is that in this day and time it is unsafe for a woman to go out in areas alone. I went to a meeting of Lone Star TH'rs, but can';t make up my mind if this is what I want to do. I had a great time at the meeting, but I have several issues in that I am limited to hunting during the week and even though I am retired now---I have a lot to do!!! I am running out of parks in Mansfield. The city I live in (arlington) doesn't allow mding in city parks.
I have only run into one other person out detecting. He have me some good pointers on my Ace and even told me about an old Volleyball court. I think he only pick up the quarters and dimes, because there were so many pennies in the place, I actually got tired of digging!
So far, I've heard tips like volleyball courts, old firecracker stands and putting an ad in Craigs list.
This is a great site for good tips.
DB

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Time for some research. Check out the history on some of the older towns in your area. I hunt at a park that has been modernized and filled over a few different times. I know this place goes back to the early 1900s, but had never found anything but clad coins and 1 small gold ring(not old either). But I stuck to it and finally after hunting there for about 1 year, last sunday it happened, good signal next to a tree 2 1/2" down, 1937 merc dime. One word, perseverance, sometimes ya just gotta hang tough.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
As I have mentioned before, I put an ad on Craigslist for older properties to hunt....works great! I currently have 7-8 regulare places to hunt now, and about 3 or four more I am working on getting to ...
Baggins

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks, Baggins. After I posted this question I found your post about Craigs List. While I'm not ready to just go out and do that, it is a great idea.
Enjoyed your post.
Thanks,
DB

gdrumm

Dec 7, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I'm in Kennedale, so I know what you mean. I'm about tired of hunting the Kennedale parks. Google Earth is a good way to spot interesting locations. I may hit a couple of spots in Mansfield this weekend. It is rather stupid that Arlington doesn't allow MD'ing, but then they're almost a Nazi regime in the way they run the city now.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
May I give my two cents? Keep going to Lone Star and team up with
somebody. I would start at the many lakes around the Metroplex. Go
during the week to avoid the crowds. Where lots of people congregate
is where gold/silver jewelry is lost. Good hunting! lastleg

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
To gdrumm........so that's why I didn't find anything in Kennedale!!!'
I've hit the Mansfield parks, just the playground areas and a couple of soccer fields. There are some real old houses in town that are deserted, but I didn't know who to ask, and maybe just a little afraid to approach anyone. I did ask permission from an older church to search their volleyball court. Didn't find much, plus the ground was hard as a rock.
Happy Hunting.
DB

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Dustbuster... I hope you don't mind someone from New York who lives in Montana helping out a little.

I don't know how big this town is you live in, but you're going to have to get out and talk with some folks... network, have conversations, and research!

Research is more than HALF the battle (and half the fun) to landing on top of a great hunting spot. I read local history, talk with old timers, I talk with locals who have been around forever or friends with antique parents living in antique houses.  I spend time in my library reading old papers and periodicals, yearbooks, and local festivities announcements.  I've looked at more maps than I thought could possibly exist for my area, combed the back roads, and burned a lot of fuel exploring the outskirts of town. I compare old maps to new maps and overlay them if possible.  Swimming holes, homesteads, hillsides, big huge old trees, picnic grounds and racetracks, fairgrounds, church sites, dance halls, tepee ring sites, battle sites, ball fields, fraternity halls, retreats, forts, trails, scout camps, other camp sites, and everyplace else that folks gathered to do things 100 + years ago.

You have to walk up to property owners and talk to them and ask permission... it's a scary thing for some folks, but there is a high success rate!  In Montana there is an on-line program to find out who owns what parcel/property... otherwise your county clerk can tell you - as well as tell you all about every previous owner. 

I spend as much or MORE time researching than I do detecting - but it pays off.   

And, always remember, you're only going to find stuff where folks have been losing stuff.  It's not always easy and sometimes there just isn't anything to find - so you can never get discouraged!  There just might not be anything to find right around you!

Modern parks, churchyards, playgrounds, soccer fields, ball diamonds and tot lots get old fast if yearning for older coins and relics.  You should be exhausting all efforts to chat with the folks who own the oldest houses in the county... and be willing to drive a while too, research - research - research!

You've also had some great advice above... we all look forward to your finds!

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks, Montana Jim.......you are right about the research. I am just beginning to seek out information and ask permission. Each time, I get a little braver. So far most people have been very agreeable. I will start doing more leg work.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
dustbuster said:
Thanks, Montana Jim.......you are right about the research. I am just beginning to seek out information and ask permission. Each time, I get a little braver. So far most people have been very agreeable. I will start doing more leg work.

It's the best part of the hunt! The anticipation, the discovery of that great old property... :) The journey is the thing!

You'll figure it out... it might take time. Good luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread