New, in the Dallas/E. Texas area

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello, I'm new here. Don't have a detector yet, though I've had one on my wish list for a couple of years.

Since no one will buy ME one, I'm thinking about buying one "for my husband" for his birthday later this month. :wink:

We are both complete novices, and I'm looking at something fairly low-end so that we won't be out too much $$ if this hobby just isn't for us. I'm generally a cheapskate, too, so there's that. On the cheaper side, I'm look at the BH Tracker IV. On the slightly more expensive side, the Garrett Ace 250 or the Tesoro Silver UMax or Tesoro Compadre. My limit is about $275. Any recommendations for mostly coin/jewelry hunting on land in North/East Texas?

We live on about an acre and have another dozen acres down the road, so I figure that's plenty of land to learn on. I am interested in doing some research on the larger piece of land to find out what it was before it was pasture. There is an old, falling-down homestead that abuts our land (we know the owners) that I hope we may get a chance to search.

Anyhow, I've enjoyed reading these forums so far and look forward to doing some MD'ing in the future!

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder
A lot of folks here will tell you get the Silver umax, but in that case I recommend practicing with a test garden so you learn what its telling you, same with Compadre. You might consider a Fisher F2 which you can get with a handheld pinpointer to help when you dig and small sniper coil for trashier spots. You might be able to snag a used Fisher F4 for your price range that would give you a large coil that would help for searching in the tilled fields. All that said, you probably can't go wrong with any of the detectors you selected. The advantage with Fishers is they throw in some useful accessories.

http://www.fisherf75.com/pb/wp_d667282a/wp_d667282a.html

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a chance take a look at the ace 250 right in your range.

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the Tesoro Cibola. It is a simple beep and dig detector with more depth than the Ace 250.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both a Compadre and Ace 250 and prefer the Ace. It gives you so much more info than the Compadre. I guess I am just a little lazy! I would recommend finding a detecting club near you as that is a great way to learn from those who know more. Often they will have group hunts once a month and those are a lot of fun. Great to have a N Texas woman on TNet, seems like we are outnumbered! I live north of the big airport. If you are anywhere nearby and want a hunting partner, send me a personal message. Welcome aboard!
Baylorhall

OP
OP
B

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the advice and PMs. I ordered an Ace 250 today, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival!

I also went to a meeting of the Golden Triangle Explorers Society on Friday. There were probably 30+ people there (great attendance for Good Friday). I was impressed by how friendly everyone was, unlike some other hobby (not metal detecting) clubs I've been in. One member brought a sampling of his 40 years of bottle collecting and gave a short presentation about some of the bottles. My husband is interested in bottles, but I've never done any reading about them, and the presentation was fascinating!

I'm definitely excited to get started on this hobby.

OP
OP
B

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
baylorhall said:
I would recommend finding a detecting club near you as that is a great way to learn from those who know more. Often they will have group hunts once a month and those are a lot of fun. Great to have a N Texas woman on TNet, seems like we are outnumbered! I live north of the big airport. If you are anywhere nearby and want a hunting partner, send me a personal message. Welcome aboard!
Baylorhall

Which clubs do you attend? The one we went to (Golden Triangle) normally has a monthly "fun hunt," but they are currently looking for a new huntmaster. I'd love to check out some of the other clubs in the area too.

We live out way east of Dallas, so not quite in the neighborhood, but we might make it up that far north at some point. :)

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
I recently joined the Lone Star Treasure Hunting Club in Irving. They meet the first Monday of the month. They also have speakers sometimes. The first time I visited, there was a gentleman from Garrett. They also have a fun hunt the next day. I haven't attended any of these yet, but I think they would be a good way to practice with my 250. They also have contest each month to see who found the best of Silver, Jewelry, toys, etc.
The reason I joined was to find more interesting places to hunt and to get better skills with my detector. There are plenty of people with lots of experience, and don't mind offering good advice.
I recently retired and am spending more and more time hunting the tot lots (as they're called). So far, no silver, but where I am hunting may not have any. I have found a couple of wheats though.
There is a club in Mesquite too. I'm sure they are a great club also.
Best of Luck,
Dustbuster

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bellapoison,

I missed last Friday's meeting because of the holiday, but usually am there. If you go next time, look for me. Will be nice to meet another ACE 250 user!
Janet

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have you on board! We met at the Golden Triangle meeting. I'm the one who used to live in Combine and went to school in Crandall. This is a great place to get advice and encouragement. I think you did good on the Ace 250. Just practice with it and you will be amazed at what it will do.

OP
OP
B

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ThTx said:
Nice to have you on board! We met at the Golden Triangle meeting. I'm the one who used to live in Combine and went to school in Crandall. This is a great place to get advice and encouragement. I think you did good on the Ace 250. Just practice with it and you will be amazed at what it will do.

Oh yes, I remember meeting you! I am looking forward to getting my detector and starting to look around Crandall and Kaufman County for places to detect (after I search my backyard, of course!). I remember that you had on a Dive Master shirt--do you do underwater MDing?

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a dive instructor, work in a dive shop and yes, I detect underwater at times. A detector helps when you're trying to find someone's lost anchor or propellor. I plan on quite a bit more underwater as well as underground. It's a great hobby and who knows what you might find. Check out some of the lost treasure or cache posts here.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
We have a club in Mesquite that meets the first Tue of each month and it should be fairly close for you. If you would like a copy of our April newsletter, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. Our fun hunt is this Sat.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I am taking time off from working to work on my degree before we move back to my house in Oklahoma in June. So any leads on local Dallas areas I can detect would be great. A friend suggested Central Park in Lewisville.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some trouble at the playground there because there was all of this metallic confetti there. I have found a little clad just digging in the dirt, but not much. I have also thought of going into the "foresty" area there, but was a little afraid to venture off by myself. Being a woman, I am always a little cautious. I do most of my detecting during school hours, so if you ever decide to head to Central park and wouldn't mind a buddy, send me a message.

OP
OP
B

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
So my Garrett Ace 250 came in the mail today! Only had a little bit of daylight (and, uh, then we used a flashlight!) to dig around in the backyard.

I know it's silly to be excited about finding junk, but I'm just excited by my first finds. (We actually found two nails, too, but my husband threw them in the trash before I took the picture.)

Presenting...a pulltab, a broken tire gauge, and an unidentified piece of metal:

Attachments

• FirstJunk.jpg
    FirstJunk.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 209

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now you know it works! It can only go up from there. ;D You will be so excited when you find that first penny. I know I was!

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key thing is you're HUNTING! I'm usually off on Wednesdays or Thursdays, so if you (or anyone else) wants to hunta Dallas city park, send me a PM. We can work out times and such. Don't forget to come back to our next meeting on the second Friday of May!

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I hit parks every day, but I have not yet gotten brave enough to venture out of the woodchips. My pinpointing sucks. I usually hit the parks for a few hours in the morning after I drop my daughter off at school. I am finding more blue jean buttons that I can shake a stick at. I figure if I can find a target that small, I can find anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread