Cellar Hole?

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Hello all, Just joined the forum here but have been monitoring this site for quite a while now.

I have some property in North West Texas that I use for radio work and general playing around and have done some detecting on it in the past at the old home site (1879) that is there. I've found the usual odds and ends, but nothing to write home about. Wheaties, Mercs, LOTs of nails, and enough bottle tops and pull tabs to make a car!

This weekend however I did find something out there and stupid me did not have my Garrett with me. I think I found a cellar hole on the back part of the place! This part of the property has been covered in mesquite trees and scrub for the last 12 years I've had the place and it was recently made ready for plowing by the man that leases the area from me. I never went to this part before today.

This is where I need help; what I found is a depression in the ground that looks to be about 3 feet deep and around 8' in diameter. The hole at this time is filled in with old bricks, broken glass (some old blue type and crockery), and general trash. Also some evidence of rattlesnakes (2 sheds) No, I didn't have a camera with me either! :tard:

So, could this be the only cellar hole I've ever seen, or a depression in the ground that it was easy for the old timers to throw trash in? I plan to hunt it next weekend.

Grip

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Grip,
Most celler holes that I've seen are larger than that. Is it lined with stone or brick? That could have been a large well that dried up and people used it as a trash pit. While it is still cool do some digging around it....good luck and watch out for those rattlers!

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Might be an old cistern, just filled with trash and dirt so it appears to be only 3' deep.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Keep us posted, and also if you ever need some hunting buddies!
Baggins

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Maybe worth checking regardless of what it may be.

Get some moth balls and place them in a rag, smash them up into a granular like form. Add a few cups of water and stir for a while.

A day or so before you hunt the depression dump the mixture into the crevasses and around the area. Believe it or not this will get the snakes out of there. I have done it in a small cave in West Texas, the smell was kinda rough but a rattlesnake bite is much worse.

Good Luck,
Jason

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what happens. If you need a hunting partner with a two box, send me a PM.

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies all.

Shaw, that is a great idea and I think I may try that on a couple of other spots I have on my place as well!

Again, not sure what this hole in the ground is but I am going to try and get out there this weekend and inspect it a little more! I'll be sure to get some pictures of it and the old homestead to post ehre upon my return. Also pics of any goodies I may come across! ;D

As for hunting partners, I may seriously consider that in the future at my location in Eastland County.

Grip

HHg in Austin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2007
Re: Cellar Hole - Agree w/Sqwaby

I'd bet its a cistern as well,.......either filled in with fill spout knocked off or collapsed !!

HHg

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
With all of the rain we've had it was too muddy to go out to check out the "hole". Not too muddy to hunt, too muddy to get there! My neighbor said I would be nuts to even try so I stayed in town this weekend and hunted a couple of tot lots... NADA found...

Grip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread