Are Dallas Parks safe to hunt?

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I have never had a problem but I would stay away from Bachman Lake. Seems to have allot of crime around there. To bad, it's a pretty old Dallas lake.

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks, it is a nice lake. I was thinking about some of the parks I used to see when I lived there in the early 70's. Cole Park--I think. A little park near Inwood rd. I tried to find some of the parks by going to Parks and Recreation. Didn't know they had that many!!!!!! Any idea on how to find out when they established some of these parks?
I'm also interested in going down by the trinity, but I know there are a lot of homeless around, so I have to be careful.
DB

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Dusty, if you ever want to go in the morning, shoot me a PM. I go almost every morning, and I am a youngish, biggish military guy, so I do not foresee any problems.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think if you know the area (scout it out), consider the hours you want to be there, and of course, don't LOOK like a potential victim, you should be ok. I know the not looking like a victim thing is a hot-button, but I'm just thinking that if you don't seem to be ill at ease, and you dress in a way that doesn't attract attention, you'll be fine. I'm not a small guy at 6'3" and 225, but I've been in places where I knew I had to look like I belonged or face getting attention from the undesirables that I didn't want. I have a landscaping biz that has taken me to many places in Dallas that have some GREAT parks. Some of our best work has been along the Katy Trail through Highland Park! An awesome area to be sure, but you know of the trouble they've had there in recent years.. Take that military dude with you-I'd volunteer but my wife might not like it too much..LOL!

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Unfortunately, the MD attracts attention all by itself. I do not wear earphones when I hunt parks, because I do not want someone to be able to slip up on me. It is a little annoying for the constant beeps to be sounding, but I can hear what is going on around me.

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Thanks, Tin Nugget. The history of dallas parks is great! I knew of a Tietze Park when I moved to Texas in '69, but couldn't remember where it was.
That history and timeline of developement is terrific.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
dustbuster said:
Thanks, Tin Nugget. The history of dallas parks is great! I knew of a Tietze Park when I moved to Texas in '69, but couldn't remember where it was.
That history and timeline of developement is terrific.

Your welcome, and here is another reserch tool I find extrodinary. Want to see what those parks looked like in 1956? Try this.

http://www.historicaerials.com/

Use the two year comparison tab. You can see it in 2004 and 1956 at the same time. Most of the Dallas area is covered.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pyledriver said:
Take that military dude with you-I'd volunteer but my wife might not like it too much..LOL!

Come on, where's your sense of adventure? We can both go so it would be OK.

Seriously, Dustbuster, PM me if you want to go on a Wednesday. I would love to hunt Cole park. I'll talk Pyledriver into going since he is bigger and younger!

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda in the uptown area around Cole & McKinney Avenues. Come on, let's hunt!

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Most likely I will come to observe and learn....but I will detect too. Give me a time and I will be there! Or even better, shoot me a pm and I will give you my IRL contact info.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
I've never hunted Dallas any, but regardless of where you hunt I agree with the headphones off approach in a location as public as a park.

If all of you hook up for a hunt make sure to let us know how it goes!

Grip

OP
OP
D

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Hunting Cole Park on wed. morning sounds good to me. Anyone know where to meet at the park and a time. I have kiddos to drop off at 7:30 then I can head to dallas. I know the traffic must be bad early, but maybe I can make it by 8 or 8:30
Anyone else going?
DB

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
dustbuster said:
Hunting Cole Park on wed. morning sounds good to me. Anyone know where to meet at the park and a time. I have kiddos to drop off at 7:30 then I can head to dallas. I know the traffic must be bad early, but maybe I can make it by 8 or 8:30
Anyone else going?
DB

It depends on where you are coming from as to how bad the traffic will be.

I'll be there with all of you in spirit only, gotta work... >:(

Make sure to post any finds or experiences after you are done though!

Grip

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Big D has changed big time. It is not worth the risk, a female alone in a Park
is a sitting duck.

bellapoison

Apr 7, 2009
Kaufman County, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Let me know how long you all plan to be at Cole Park. I can't make it first thing in the morning, but I might be able to come a little closer to "brunch" time (have to talk to the hubby first though).

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Depending on traffic I should be there between 830 and nine, but I wont go anywhere near the sodded areas until I have someone show me what to do.....I have been afraid of the grass so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread