Hunting old RR tracks

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I have "heard" of some people being told not to detect close to the tracks since 9-11... Didn't think terrorists rode trains.......... ??? ???

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
TXBLUZMAN said:
The tracks were laid in the late 1800's and pulled up in the 1940's

No tracks now........hunt it. Try and look online for an old map that might have had railroad station stops. Those would be the best spots to hunt.

Might be lots of iron peices and R/R spikes still in the grounds.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Dimeman said:
TXBLUZMAN said:
The tracks were laid in the late 1800's and pulled up in the 1940's

No tracks now........hunt it. Try and look online for an old map that might have had railroad station stops. Those would be the best spots to hunt.

Might be lots of iron peices and R/R spikes still in the grounds.

Exactly like above! Old stations, RR camp site, and any old towns would be KILLER spots to check out. The local library should have some old maps or photos that could help you narrow your search down some.

Let us know how you do!

Grip

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
All I know is from my expeience-- they are so infested with iron that you will be driven crazy!
Hope you get lucky!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Def some truth in that The tracks I dug up were also tar incrusted, some hard diggin

OP
OP
TXDIRTFISHER

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I got off work, grabbed the SE and headed out. Luckily this place is less than a 3 minute drive from my house. The lady that owns it doesn't maintain any of the 500+ acres she has. Her land is full of old foundations, ghost town buildings, and a huge portion of the RR and the RR right-of-way road. The frustrating part is that 99% of her land is at least knee deep in grass and weeds right now. She doesn't maintain the old RR site so I wasn't expecting much.

I got out there and decided to take a walk first to survey the site. The road is completely grown over by cactus. In most spots you literally cannot pass through. I took a few detours through the wooded area but the foliage got thicker the farther I went. I kept hoping for a clearing but I couldn't find one.

I gave up on that and hit a nearby field that I have permission to hunt. The owner just tore down a late 1800's concrete building so I searched the footprint. Lots of broken glass and old can slaw....no coins >:(

My next mission is to head out to a field she owns (deeeeep grass) and introduce my weed-eater to it. There is a huge/old clothes line that has been there since Moses parted the Red Sea. The clothes line was next to a house (no longer there) that was built in the late 1800's. There has to be a coin under there somewhere. Thanks for the input.

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it just gets unbearable because of all the brush...put a raincheck on that area till winter when the brush dies down...good luck!
Kieth

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
This coming winter after the grass dies off go back. Lots of snakes out that way, they will be out if its a warm winter day, be careful.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted some old RR right-of-way close to beevile all I found were some glass insulator's. At least it wasn't a wasted trip. Cliff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread