Old time THers- Houston/Galveston Area

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Old time TH'ers- Houston/Galveston Area

Some of you long time treasure hunters might remember VanFossen who had a detecting shop on OST. He was one of the friendliest detectorists who didn't mind helping newer hunters out. His shop had just a fraction of items he had found over the years, and he had a good selection of books, magazines, supplies and different detectors for sale.
In the early 1980's one of the first few times I was in his shop ,I had asked if he had ever found any real good finds. He just smiled, winked and said that, his shop was his hobby.

There was another treasure hunter who had a shop in Manvel, Richard Ray. He had articles written in Treasure, Treasure Found and Treasure Lost magazines. He had made a few trips to Costa Rica to try and find some pirate treasure. He also hunted around Galveston Bay and the Gulf.

Richard Ray Ad.jpg

In the 80's, he made his own detectors. In the late 80's he advertised that his home made detectors were so sensitive he could put a $5 bill, a $10 bill, and a $20 bill, each in separate envelopes that you could not see the bill and that he could tell you what denomination the bill was just by the sound of his detector. I remember he stated if he could not tell you the correct $ bill, he would give that $ dollar bill to you. He had an ad in one of the above magazines saying this.

If anyone has one of the Treasure magazines ( late 1980's-- possibly early 1990's) with this ad about the bills, could you please post a scan of the ad, on this thread.

Thanks!!!!

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Re: Old time TH'ers- Houston/Galveston Area

I remember both Van and Richard quite well. I got to see alot of Van's treasures but he would tell me that was only a very small portion, I believed him, he was one heck of a treasure hunter. Everytime I go to Houston and go down OST, I go where his place use to be and think about him. That area has changed so much. I met Richard and talked to him a couple of times, he also told me how a reputable metal detector manufacturer stole his patent on his detector that he founded. I won't mention the name but look at his machine and see if it looks like someone else's. Now whether this is the truth, I don't know but it does make you wonder. Another treasure hunter I knew quite well was Jim Alexander from Alexander Enterprises in South Houston, Jim was as good as they came, always very helpful. Those were the good old days, hope you find someone with that ad. HH

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, CZ-7, CZ-20, F-5

I have a picture of Van and Villas last wife. It was taken when
he was asked to help find some of Villas stashes. It must have
been exciting to literally go back in history and do hunts like
those. I was also amazed with Vans Jade collection, and his
Chinese connection. His Central American Jade wasn't bad either.
I'm sure most of those things have found their way into museum
collections by now.
What a collector he was..

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

haybudden2 said:
I have a picture of Van and Villas last wife. It was taken when
he was asked to help find some of Villas stashes. It must have
been exciting to literally go back in history and do hunts like
those. I was also amazed with Vans Jade collection, and his
Chinese connection. His Central American Jade wasn't bad either.
I'm sure most of those things have found their way into museum
collections by now.
What a collector he was..
...................Are you sure??...............I would more expect it to be handed down to his heirs............ he left behind a large family ..............besides his wife......he had at least 3 daughters and 2 sons plus all of the grandkids..................I knew Van good also............traveled with him and his wife Mary to several hunts in the Dallas and Waco areas!!.............Also went to a lot of the Houston's Clubs Annual Hunts that were on his property around Juliff........................also went on a lot of local hunts in the Houston Heights area................I also knew Jim Alexander..............he was a good ole time Treasure Hunter also.................I only met Richard Ray once ........so I did not really know him...........................Not sure about his metal detector "THE TREASURE HUNTER" being stolen by a large metal detector manufacturer.............in fact his detector looked a lot like the Gold Mountain VIP except for the sticker decal and a few enhanced modifications..............I never owned one of his detectors but a deceased friend of mine had one and really enjoyed it......................

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Excuse me is he dead now or what surley he i s tracable

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used

Museums pay exceptional amounts of money for special collections.
The pieces that I saw were "exceptional".
His heirs I'm sure are aware as Van was pretty savy.
I hunted with him a couple of times down near west columbia, and attended
the club hunts at his property. Almost got to hunt Sabine once, but
couldn't make it. Mary found a great TEXAS button that trip.
I only met Richard Ray once, I just happened into his shop,
also the same with Mr. Alexander

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

TEXAN Connection said:
Excuse me is he dead now or what surley he i s tracable

Both VanFossen and Richard Ray died some years ago.

I think VanFossens wife or sons still have a shop in Rosharon,TX.( at least---- a few years ago there was a shop called Research and Recovery--just like the shop on OST was called.)

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used

I know Rosharon isn't a very big town, Do you
know where the Research and Recovery shop might
be?
I think both city limit signs are on the same post.

I pass through there frequently on the way to
Angleton, and would like to stop and see them.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

haybudden2 said:
I know Rosharon isn't a very big town, Do you
know where the Research and Recovery shop might
be?
I think both city limit signs are on the same post.

I pass through there frequently on the way to
Angleton, and would like to stop and see them.

It used to be listed a couple of years ago, under Fisher dealers on Fishers website. I just looked and it is not there anymore, and not on Garretts dealer listing neither. :( :( :(

Wonder if any VanFossens are still in that area???

The family should have built a museum with all his past finds. Would have been great to see more of his diggings, than what he had in his shop. :wink:

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used

Van's place is in Juliff. If you're coming from Houston on FM521 and just a few miles before reaching Rosharon you will come to Miller Road just after crossing a little canal. Turn to the right (there is no left turn) and go down maybe 2 or 3 miles (haven't been there in years) and Van's place will be on the left. He has alot of land but his home was close to the gate. If you go past and see a small rodeo arena, you've gone too far. Hope this helps. I will get on google earth and see if I can find his place, if I do, I will post the coordinances for you. HH John

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used

Go to google maps and type in these coordinates 29.451519 -95.507605 I believe that is Van's place. HH

haybudden2

Apr 2, 2009
gulf coast, Texas
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the cords. That's Vans residence I believe.
I was speaking of a shop that Mary might have opened.
Thought maybe she drug all that stuff down in that area
and set up business. Thanks.......CUL8R

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

TexasDigger1 said:
Van's place is in Juliff. If you're coming from Houston on FM521 and just a few miles before reaching Rosharon you will come to Miller Road just after crossing a little canal. Turn to the right (there is no left turn) and go down maybe 2 or 3 miles (haven't been there in years) and Van's place will be on the left. He has alot of land but his home was close to the gate. If you go past and see a small rodeo arena, you've gone too far. Hope this helps. I will get on google earth and see if I can find his place, if I do, I will post the coordinances for you. HH John

I remember that the online dealer listing, a few years ago, was on Miller Road in Rosharon. His wife could have opened a shop there, after he died.

It is NOT listed on the Fisher or Garret website now, so I don't know if it still would be open.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer

TexasDigger1 said:
I remember both Van and Richard quite well. I got to see alot of Van's treasures but he would tell me that was only a very small portion, I believed him, he was one heck of a treasure hunter. Everytime I go to Houston and go down OST, I go where his place use to be and think about him. That area has changed so much. I met Richard and talked to him a couple of times, he also told me how a reputable metal detector manufacturer stole his patent on his detector that he founded. I won't mention the name but look at his machine and see if it looks like someone else's. Now whether this is the truth, I don't know but it does make you wonder. Another treasure hunter I knew quite well was Jim Alexander from Alexander Enterprises in South Houston, Jim was as good as they came, always very helpful. Those were the good old days, hope you find someone with that ad. HH

Alexander Enterprises is still in South Houston, on College. Very cool guy and very helpful. He is a Garrett Dealer as well.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

myelo1023 said:
TexasDigger1 said:
.......................Jim sold Alexander Enterprises years ago to Billy Kastleman who still runs that shop!!...........Jim retired from working at the Shell Refinery and moved to Arkansas............Joe

Alexander Enterprises is still in South Houston, on College. Very cool guy and very helpful. He is a Garrett Dealer as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread