MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador and Magna-Trak MT202 Magnetic Locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,
Just trying to add a little humor to the situation. I am one of those people that don't know the difference from a BFO or a VLF. Sounds like your BFO is what you need to bring out there.
Moe

...Moe...you are funny...by obsolete...i did not mean heavy...I consider it to be about average weight for a detector ....just that most people do Not even know what a BFO is??...Most consider a VLF type to go deeper...which may be true for black gumbo type dirt.....but in sugar type sand ....the BFO should go plenty deep plus it does not have the affinity of attracting all of the small iron....ie...iron nails.....may bring one of each....LOL.....Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moe...you mentioned a Backhoe...that maybe a good idea....I am wondering if really heavy items just sank out of site like quicksand...since we are referring to sugar type sand...I mean if we could get a foot or more raked off the surface...then of course the detectors could go deeper.....Joe

Joe,
Dan wants to bring in a backhoe and remove some of the dirt where we found some of those items. The sandy soil is more compact there. I wouldn't take the backhoe in the sugar sand because it will probably sink. Just stepping in the sugar sand you have a tendency to sink to your ankles and pretty hard to walk on. When you try to dig in it the hole keeps filling up with the surrounding sand. You have to make the hole wider to keep it from collapsing.
Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Joe,
Dan wants to bring in a backhoe and remove some of the dirt where we found some of those items. The sandy soil is more compact there. I wouldn't take the backhoe in the sugar sand because it will probably sink. Just stepping in the sugar sand you have a tendency to sink to your ankles and pretty hard to walk on. When you try to dig in it the hole keeps filling up with the surrounding sand. You have to make the hole wider to keep it from collapsing.
Moe
........Moe...yea we do not want to lose a Backhoe.....may have to do this the old fashion way...just get a bunch of us with regular shovels and dig down to about the 1 foot level and then detect that lower level ...also detect what was scooped out......Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Moe...Do you have a list of who is coming??...I would like to find one of the Guys to share/cost of a Motel Room for one nignt!!.......Thanks Joe

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Man, I'm still on tour, and won't be home until the 23rd....good luck to everyone hunting!!
Baggins

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moe...Do you have a list of who is coming??...I would like to find one of the Guys to share/cost of a Motel Room for one nignt!!.......Thanks Joe

Joe,
You need to call or email Dan for that info. His number is 512-826-7569 and email is [email protected]

Moe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I'm still on tour, and won't be home until the 23rd....good luck to everyone hunting!!
Baggins
Baggins,
Good to hear from you again. Hopefully you can make future digs. We have too much area to cover in one weekend anyway.
Moe

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Bill and I are still coming and we are still meeting at the gas station right?
We are looking forward to this dig and praying we all find something that screams that this is the sight of the battle . :-)
Don't forget folks to bring extra batteries for the MDs. Digging tools :-) Along with water, food to eat. All this hunting is going to make ya hungry.
See you all there! :-)
Joyce

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill and I are still coming and we are still meeting at the gas station right?
We are looking forward to this dig and praying we all find something that screams that this is the sight of the battle . :-)
Don't forget folks to bring extra batteries for the MDs. Digging tools :-) Along with water, food to eat. All this hunting is going to make ya hungry.
See you all there! :-)

Joyce

Joyce,
I havn't heard of any changes, so we're still meeting at the Shell station. It's going to be hot out there, so don't forget your gatorade, long sleeves, hats, gloves, sunglasses, insect repelant, and your cameras also. See you there.

Moe

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Thanks Moe, Never thought about the insect repelant, with all this rain we have had, I am sure the skeeters will be out and hungry!
See you there
Joyce and Bill

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battle of Medina Society
The search continues….

On Saturday September 29 we will be departing the Shell/McDonalds at Roosevelt (Hi281 south) and loop 1604 at 8 AM in San Antonio Texas to search for the site of The Battle of Medina. You will be asked to sign a confidential and hold harmless agreement.

This is not a finders/keepers event all artifacts belong to the property owner; our mission is to record, document and photograph whatever we find.

Volunteers must bring their own water and lunch. We plan on being there all day and some may stay the weekend. If you do not have a detector you will be assigned with someone that does, don’t forget the shovels.

Dan Arellano President
Battle of Medina Society
512-826-7569

I just got this email yesterday. It's a short notice. Hope some of you can make it.

Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.......Moe...I am leaving today to go to Michigan due to a Child Custody case...hopefully I can make one of the dates...are you sure that there will be a hunt on Sunday the 30th??....Thanks Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,
Hope everything goes well for you on your Michigan trip. This dig is scheduled for two days, but I won't know for sure about Sunday until I attend the Saturday dig. We have each other's cell number so we can keep in touch anyway.

Moe

.......Moe...I am leaving today to go to Michigan due to a Child Custody case...hopefully I can make one of the dates...are you sure that there will be a hunt on Sunday the 30th??....Thanks Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battle of Medina Society
The scheduled archaeology sweep scheduled for Saturday Sept 29[SUP]th[/SUP] has been canceled due to the weather. It is rescheduled for the following Saturday Oct 6[SUP]th[/SUP]. We will be departing to the site at 8 AM from the Shell/McDonalds at loop 1604 and Roosevelt (281 south) 20 miles south from downtown San Antonio.

Dan Arellano President
Battle of Medina Society
512-826-7569

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to bring this up, but while teaching history at Palo Alto College, one of my students brought a tub of things like musket balls, a knife or two, coins, what was left of some swords, flintlock pistols and rifles, personal belongings(powder horns, flasks) and some other stuff in to show me. He told me they were from the Battle of Medina, on a relative's ranch going toward Losoya and somewhere by the bridge(don't remember upstream or down) a few miles. I have no idea, but I think he hit the motherload because he told me he had lots more stuff. He gave me some musket balls and what appeared to be spanish "grape shot"(like little cannon ball) from a cannon. Not sure, but I think he found the battle area and I was told by a couple of other historians that the site had been found and kept quiet. Thought you might want to know...

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VERY INTERESTING....

I hate to bring this up, but while teaching history at Palo Alto College, one of my students brought a tub of things like musket balls, a knife or two, coins, what was left of some swords, flintlock pistols and rifles, personal belongings(powder horns, flasks) and some other stuff in to show me. He told me they were from the Battle of Medina, on a relative's ranch going toward Losoya and somewhere by the bridge(don't remember upstream or down) a few miles. I have no idea, but I think he hit the motherload because he told me he had lots more stuff. He gave me some musket balls and what appeared to be spanish "grape shot"(like little cannon ball) from a cannon. Not sure, but I think he found the battle area and I was told by a couple of other historians that the site had been found and kept quiet. Thought you might want to know...
........................... I have said this before that some of the locals may know the exact location of the site but for a lot of reasons they are very reluckant to make it known to the general public......I say this from experience that I in the past have found some small battlesites or small military campgrounds and I know that I would be very hesitant to make these sites known.....Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..................I got an interesting email...that maybe related..... someone connected to the Alamo staff in San Antonio said that he/she got some insider information on the location of Medina Battlefield site....this person was not wanting to step on our shoes so to speak.....was asking me for my permission to Solo ........I explained that I was Not in charge and that the person to contact was Dan....not sure what happened after that.......Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Austin,
Thanks for sharing this info with us. Sounds like your student found what we have been looking for. Wonder if they are going to reveal the location of the sight for next year's 200th anniversary of the battle. Since this battle was spread out over a distance of two leagues, there should be more artifacts to be found. Also would like for you to join us for our next dig on Oct 6 as announced on a previous posting. Also would like to see the artifacts that your student gave you, if you don't mind.

Mosi

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some of the larger items found this past weekend's dig, but nothing that could be connected to the Battle of Medina.

Mosi

Attachments

• Texas Land Exchange dig 6 Oct 2012 (1).jpg
    Texas Land Exchange dig 6 Oct 2012 (1).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 174

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread