Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Aug 2008
    10 times
    ...I will be there too....I am all excited...all of these hunts gets my adrenalin aflowing....Joe

us
    Aug 2008
    10 times
    Moe....who found the shoe and boot repair item...?? Was it you ??......How deep was it ??.....I am trying to determine what detectors to bring??.....I am really considering bringing my Garrett BFO Treasure Hunter...I know that most will consider this detector to be obsolete....but it really has an affinity for finding large iron and with the 12 by 24 inch coil....it will find iron deep......Joe

us
    Jul 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Tesoro Conquistador and Magna-Trak MT202 Magnetic Locator
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe(TX) View Post
    Moe....who found the shoe and boot repair item...?? Was it you ??......How deep was it ??.....I am trying to determine what detectors to bring??.....I am really considering bringing my Garrett BFO Treasure Hunter...I know that most will consider this detector to be obsolete....but it really has an affinity for finding large iron and with the 12 by 24 inch coil....it will find iron deep......Joe
    Joe,
    I think it was found by the lady or her husband that were still detecting with us and was probably under a foot deep. All the items pictured were under a foot deep except for my milk sign, which was over two feet deep. I forgot to measure it but if you look at the picture, it is taller and just as wide as my 5 gallon bucket in the background. It radiated a good size magnetic field which I was able to detect with my magnetic locator. Since we are looking for artifacts from a battle that took place 199 years ago, I recommend you bring your Garrett BFO for sure. If it requires a mule to pull it, then I would consider it obsolete, but bring it anyway and we will try to find a mule for you.

Moe

us
    Aug 2008
    10 times
    ...Moe...you are funny...by obsolete...i did not mean heavy...I consider it to be about average weight for a detector ....just that most people do Not even know what a BFO is??...Most consider a VLF type to go deeper...which may be true for black gumbo type dirt.....but in sugar type sand ....the BFO should go plenty deep plus it does not have the affinity of attracting all of the small iron....ie...iron nails.....may bring one of each....LOL.....Joe

us
    Aug 2008
    10 times
    Moe...you mentioned a Backhoe...that maybe a good idea....I am wondering if really heavy items just sank out of site like quicksand...since we are referring to sugar type sand...I mean if we could get a foot or more raked off the surface...then of course the detectors could go deeper.....Joe

us
    Jul 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joe,
    Just trying to add a little humor to the situation. I am one of those people that don't know the difference from a BFO or a VLF. Sounds like your BFO is what you need to bring out there.
    Moe

...Moe...you are funny...by obsolete...i did not mean heavy...I consider it to be about average weight for a detector ....just that most people do Not even know what a BFO is??...Most consider a VLF type to go deeper...which may be true for black gumbo type dirt.....but in sugar type sand ....the BFO should go plenty deep plus it does not have the affinity of attracting all of the small iron....ie...iron nails.....may bring one of each....LOL.....Joe

us
    Jul 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moe...you mentioned a Backhoe...that maybe a good idea....I am wondering if really heavy items just sank out of site like quicksand...since we are referring to sugar type sand...I mean if we could get a foot or more raked off the surface...then of course the detectors could go deeper.....Joe
    Joe,
    Dan wants to bring in a backhoe and remove some of the dirt where we found some of those items. The sandy soil is more compact there. I wouldn't take the backhoe in the sugar sand because it will probably sink. Just stepping in the sugar sand you have a tendency to sink to your ankles and pretty hard to walk on. When you try to dig in it the hole keeps filling up with the surrounding sand. You have to make the hole wider to keep it from collapsing.
    Moe

us
    Aug 2008
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MoSi View Post
    Joe,
    Dan wants to bring in a backhoe and remove some of the dirt where we found some of those items. The sandy soil is more compact there. I wouldn't take the backhoe in the sugar sand because it will probably sink. Just stepping in the sugar sand you have a tendency to sink to your ankles and pretty hard to walk on. When you try to dig in it the hole keeps filling up with the surrounding sand. You have to make the hole wider to keep it from collapsing.
    Moe
    ........Moe...yea we do not want to lose a Backhoe.....may have to do this the old fashion way...just get a bunch of us with regular shovels and dig down to about the 1 foot level and then detect that lower level ...also detect what was scooped out......Joe

us
    Aug 2008
    10 times
    Moe...Do you have a list of who is coming??...I would like to find one of the Guys to share/cost of a Motel Room for one nignt!!.......Thanks Joe

us
    Let's go dig some history!

Jan 2007
    TEXAS
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
    24 times
    Man, I'm still on tour, and won't be home until the 23rd....good luck to everyone hunting!!
    Baggins

us
    Jul 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moe...Do you have a list of who is coming??...I would like to find one of the Guys to share/cost of a Motel Room for one nignt!!.......Thanks Joe
    Joe,
    You need to call or email Dan for that info. His number is 512-826-7569 and email is darellano@austin.rr.com

Moe

us
    Jul 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Man, I'm still on tour, and won't be home until the 23rd....good luck to everyone hunting!!
    Baggins
    Baggins,
    Good to hear from you again. Hopefully you can make future digs. We have too much area to cover in one weekend anyway.
    Moe

us
    Dec 2010
    Delta 4000
    Bill and I are still coming and we are still meeting at the gas station right?
    We are looking forward to this dig and praying we all find something that screams that this is the sight of the battle . :-)
    Don't forget folks to bring extra batteries for the MDs. Digging tools :-) Along with water, food to eat. All this hunting is going to make ya hungry.
    See you all there! :-)
    Joyce

us
    Jul 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomdeyada View Post
    Bill and I are still coming and we are still meeting at the gas station right?
    We are looking forward to this dig and praying we all find something that screams that this is the sight of the battle . :-)
    Don't forget folks to bring extra batteries for the MDs. Digging tools :-) Along with water, food to eat. All this hunting is going to make ya hungry.
    See you all there! :-)

Joyce
    Joyce,
    I havn't heard of any changes, so we're still meeting at the Shell station. It's going to be hot out there, so don't forget your gatorade, long sleeves, hats, gloves, sunglasses, insect repelant, and your cameras also. See you there.

Moe

us
    Dec 2010
    Delta 4000
    Thanks Moe, Never thought about the insect repelant, with all this rain we have had, I am sure the skeeters will be out and hungry!
    See you there
    Joyce and Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors